Hit some mountains in the loop today!

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The usual exit from the OC on Ortega Hwy led me next to the north & east and up Hwy 79 through Beaumont and Oak Glenn - Apple Country. After that it was up one of my absolutely most favorite roads, Hwy 38, up to Big Bear City on the east end of the lake. Hadn't been on 38 in quite some time. I love that road! :bow1:

Here's where the big decision was made. I had originally thought to continue north on Hwy 18 right down the other side of the mountain and fool around out by Yucca Valley. But once I was up on top I decided to turn left and head west along the top of the mountains. North Shore and then Rim Of the World. Beautiful day up there.

It was 47 degrees when I left home and dropped to 36 for a while on the way over the Ortega. It then swung between the mid 40s to low 50s as I got across the flatlands to start up into the mountains. It was pretty much 45~46 the whole time up on top.

Rode all the way along the mountains and took Hwy 138 down the west end to I-15. I-15 south until Cajalco Road where I jumped on to Temescal Cyn Road to get off of, and parallel, the freeway. Back over the Ortega and I was home by 2:00 after a 6:30 start and an early stop for breakfast in Elsinore. 291 miles.

I've attached the days track map and two pics of Big Bear Lake - one up close, and one further along, on the Rim of the World, lookin' back. The last pic is Silverwood Lake on the way down 138.

Attachments

Byron

STOC #
That was a nice loop. Mountains were cool today. Just got back myself. Must remember that mountains are generally 10+ degrees cooler than the low-lands. Burrrr! :D

Bike
1992 ST1100ABS
STOC #
I a:bow1:m soooooo jealous!!! Wish I was there. I used to ride those roads when I was STationed at Norton AFB at San Berdoo. Always beautiful to get away from the valley heat . Had a CB350 back in 1970 when I was there.

OP
OP
Phartz

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
That was a nice loop. Mountains were cool today. Just got back myself. Must remember that mountains are generally 10+ degrees cooler than the low-lands. Burrrr! :D
Warm N Safe and Honda heated grips are my friends. Never leave home without 'em. :D

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Bike
2004 st1300
Those road are great. We'll pick up some of them tomorrow on the way to Pala, Aguanaga, etc.

Stayed closer to home today-bands at OC Harley, Cooks, and the Swallows-rode the FatBob obviously. ST tomorrow as it's all back together

Chevron on Ortega east of the 5 at 9 am if anyone wants to join up-I'm on an '04 ST(blue of course) with a gold Connie, and a black older Wing,and possibly a RoadKing or two

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Wow. I wish I had known I would have met you up in Big Bear and rolled wiff you for a while.

I love that area up there.

Byron

STOC #
Warm N Safe and Honda heated grips are my friends. Never leave home without 'em. :D

I would have been OK, I was on my way home from running some errands, except I saw the Mountain Ave. exit sign and reactions took over. Next thing I know it's up the hill toward Baldy and across Glendora Ridge Road. T-shirt under mesh doesn't offer much warmth when the temperature drops to 48 degrees. The good news is that the last rain cleaned the road pretty good. :) Another good thing is it's just a short loop so I wasn't uncomfortable for too long.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I was up there on Thursday with my neighbor on his K12S. We went out the 210 to the 15 & up the 138 to Crestline. Lake Gregory was almost dry. Across to the 18, down to Running Springs for lunch, then to Big Bear & down the 38 to Redlands & the 10.

Temp up there was 53. Talked with a local up there at lunch. He owns an ST1300. Turned him on to the forum which he didn't know about. Big Bear Lake was down a bit as well.

Very nice riding up there. I haven't been down the back side on 38 in many years.

OP
OP
Phartz

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You did the reverse of my route. :) I didn't get close enough to look at Lake Gregory on my way through but Big Bear was lookin' pretty low. Poor ol' Fawnskin on the north shore is high and dry. :(

Sure be nice to have a good snow/rain year out here for a change. It's too darn dry!! :eek:

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
The original idea was to do the ride up to Baldy that Byron did but I thought a ride to Big Bear might be better. I forgot about the temp difference so I just wore mesh & a T-shirt. It was a little cool.....

Top Bottom