lipSTick's Maiden Voyage

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
If ya notice to the left, my tip count has gone from zero (total lie but the previous 25 were on the older bikes) to 2. How, you may well ask, can this happen to a brand new (to me) bike. Those who know me better don't bother to ask. :rofl1:

Left Kingman Friday afternoon headed toward DTeels in El Cajon. No hurry and I wanted to give her a good shakedown so headed west on I-40, south on US-95, west again on CA-62 and S.W. on CA-177. A little I-20 then into Mecca on Box Canyon Road. Got gas at the Beacon, 39 MPG. Not great but about average. South again on CA-86 and west on S-22 at Salton City. Camped at my fave spot just east of the ol' microwave tower. Great night, cooked some dinner, had a camp fire and took a few pics.

Saturday morning fixed a quick breakfast then left there and headed east on S-22, thru Borrego and up Montezuma Grade. At the overlook, I spotted a camera crew and an unnamed new model motorcycle. While cutting a U-turn (as previously reported) I had my first tip-over. Casualties? Left side mirror cover and turn-signal lens. Pick-up coming the other way stopped and helped pick'er up. Got back to the 'shoot in time to talk to the rider and photog. They asked that I not take pics. Secrecy in magazine lead times, don'cha know. :D

After taping up the mirror cover I headed west again just as the rider was returning from one of many (successful) U-turns. I know the photog was working so we'll just have to wait 'n see.

I continued on west and south, (S-22 to S-2 to 78) eventually getting to El Cajon on CA-67. Stopped on the way thru Santa Ysabel and picked up a pie.

Only a few more blocks to Dana's where I found him and Byron in the garage doing farkle duty. They were just finishing up the fuse block install after completing the generic STebel. Time to start the Audiovox CC install. While they were doing that, I did fixed a couple glitches on lipSTick. As Dana mentioned elsewhere, the front brake light switch was intermittent, plus my radio had only about a 2 mile range. Worst, tho, was/is the dragging rear brake. Fixed the radio (broken wire on the powered antenna) and the brake light switch (WD-40 and exercise). Diagnosed the brake problem as a sticky piston on the rear caliper. With all that covered I went to help D and B. Took a couple pics, too.

We stopped about 2 for some of Dana's delish chicken-rice soup, then back at it. Due to a stubborn wiring problem the CC install wasn't finished but Dana did get the left side back together. I'm sure he finished it today and will report shortly.

I left about 5 wanting to stay ahead of the weather. Guess it hasn't made it there yet but I know it was raining today farther north. Anyway, I went in search of CA-94, planning to go thru Campo. Got on it but must'a missed a turn and ended back on I-8. Took it to El Centro, then north on 111 and east on 78 to near Glamis where I camped again.

Trying to get a lighted look at a couple signs, I managed to bury her belly deep in the (very soft, very deep) sand! Took me about a 1/2 hour to get'er turned around and back to solid ground. Tip her over 4 times to get brush and branches under the tars but those don't count as they were on purpose. :D Dropped the mattress right there and slept soundly.

This morning headed north and east on 78 all the way to Blythe. Passing thru the Glamis Imperial Dunes saw many dirt bikes and quads with supporting RVs. Can't believe all those folks ride in the dunes on purpose! In Blythe, I got gas (39 MPG again) and also found the Ace Hardware for new nylon screws to replace those I broke while wresting a 700 lb. bike around in the sand. At the Shell station I also got coffee and a really good Croissant.

With my home-made (Laminar) lip back in place we continued toward Salome and the Kofa Cafe. 16 or so folks for the monthly AZ RTE, good turn out. You can read all about it here. OH, yeah, second tip-over as I was doing another U-ie to park next to Big Tom. Glad he was there to help me pick it up. Those Heli Bars Gotta Go!!

With lunch (and Jim's emergency) completed, we all split up. I headed north-west on CA-72, got gas again in Parker (39 MPG.) Re-crossed the river and went up Parke Dam Rd, across the dam up on up to Havasu and home.

Ta-Da!

Here's a couple pics. I'll post a link to the album soon's it's up at Picassa.
Camp at Ocatillo Springs DSCF6789 Stitch.jpg
Natural flame paint job. :D DSCF6786.jpg
Byron and Dana hard at it DSCF6795.jpg
Glamis camp spot DSCF6803.jpg
Believe it! DSCF6804.jpg

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Well, George, at least you got most of the potential tipovers out of the way early.

The important question is, what did you fix for breakfast? :eat1:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I know this might be heresy; but, probably not a *real* difference until you *use* the ABS.

IMO: The front brakes are enhanced; but, until you *need* them you will not notice...

A bit of high speed stopping practice (after the rear brake is *completely* sorted out) will show the real difference.

(and I want to watch!!! :))

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
ADAM - Thanks! I think it's probably like Mark said - he'll notice when he needs them. I forgot that George doesn't use his brakes very often ... ;-)
Phil, I was consciously being gentle, trying hard not to use the back brake at all and prying the rear pads with a screwdriver at every stop. Front brake is sensitive (like the handle is too far out) and I'll adjust that. Haven't triggered the ABS yet but did trigger the traction control yesterday morning leaving the sand trap. No rooster tail. :D

Tearing the rear caliper apart for cleaning today and ordering up a full set of seals and pads (and a mirror cover and lens! Ugh!)

Here's the full album from the weekend.

Top Bottom