Highway 7 in Arkansas

This past Friday, I rode home to Memphis from Dallas, wherein I rode a portion of state highway 7 in western Arkansas. I didn't know this before, but the majority of the length is designated a state scenic highway. I simply chose it because it looked pretty neat on the map:

Need I say more?

Actually I will. I got on 7 at Hot Springs and rode it north until almost the end at Diamond City. I turned east on 14 just before the end.

The road doesn't really live up to the sign. It's small sections of long curves and a few hills. There are rare sections where it's really steep and/or really curvy.

Good stuff: The pavement is in great shape. I can't recall ever seeing any debris, rocks, gravel, or anything on the road. No potholes or repairs to mention. Many of the curves provide full visibility, so you can see all the way around.

Bad stuff: It's a popular road with the weekenders. Expect lots of trucks pulling boat trailers and a few RVs. Semis and dumptrucks also use the highway. During the Friday afternoon I was there, the traffic wasn't too bad, but I occasionally had to putter along behind cars for a few miles before I had a chance to pass. Weekdays, you might have the road to yourself. Also, the road generally follows a ridgeline, and guardrails are scarce. If you make a mistake in a curve, you're going to be airborne.

This is a good daytrip for anyone who lives close, and would make for a better weekend trip (or better yet, weekday) for someone a few hundred miles away. There are other roads in the region that are also probably just as fun.

Jamie

Attachments

STCPO

Pete
STOC #
Yep, I rode this for the first time a few weeks ago. We got lucky because there was very little traffic and we were able to ride a very spirited ride.

I really enjoyed this road and when we got to the end, I wanted to turn around and try it again.

I'll be back for sure.

Pete

Next time try taking Arkansas 164 west just north of Dover over to Arkansas 123 North to Pelsor then take Arkansas 16 East towards Witt Springs... Killer!!

OP
OP
Jamie Z
mageerc said:
Next time try taking Arkansas 164 west just north of Dover over to Arkansas 123 North to Pelsor then take Arkansas 16 East towards Witt Springs... Killer!!
Since it's only a three or four hour ride for me to get to that area, I might make a day trip out of those roads, thanks. Surely there are other good ones in the area, too.

Jamie

Top Bottom