Strippin off the tupperware! Tips please!

Ok,
Gonna pull the plastic off for the first time to do some stuff...I could use some tips-I have the shop manual.

I tried pulling the front cover off, the one directly behid the front tire, could not even get that one.

How much has to come off to work on the exhaust(header wrap) and check for water leaks?? I might change horns too, and adjust the throttle cable at the throttle body..who knows.

Is this also the best time to adjust the counterbalencers, or can I do that fully dressed?

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
All of it.

The inner lower cowl behind the front wheel requires both middle cowls to come off.

To get to the pipes you need to remove both the lower cowl and middle cowls. That means everything, from the windscreen down. Follow the schematic in the service manual for tupperware removal.

Get some sort of compartmented (is that even a word?) tray, and as you complete a removal, place all of the fasteners together in a compartment. DO NOT depend on your memory to remember on what fastener is used where. If you have a digital camera take pictures as things come off.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't be to shy with the cover (inner lower cowl) behind the front wheel, it is possible to remove it without removing any other plastic. It kind of sits "inside and behind" the edges of the painted cowl pieces (middle cowls) that frame it. You have to pull outward on the leading edge of one of the middle cowls to get the clearance you need.

To go further, like Joseph said you have to remove the lower cowl, the mirror covers, the engine guards (tipover wings), both middle cowls, and the inner cowls to access the things you mentioned you might want to check or work one. The service manual has the correct sequence of removal and drawings of where all the fasteners are. I put each set in a separate baggie or paper cup with a written note of what cowl they belong to. It really is easy to do if you follow the sequence and pull all the attendent fasteners. I have only run into to a problem when I missed a screw or trim clip along the way - just don't force anything if it doesn't feel loose. Just count off all the fasteners.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Joseph is right about making sure you store stuff and keep a record of where it came off so you can put it back together.
I like the idea (someone on this site) of taking cardboard and drawing a 'stick' figure of the piece being removed. Then poke a hole in the position that coincides with where the fastener belongs.

Do it any way you want; but, keep track!

Mark

Greetings from the North East

Yes you can remove the lower middel cowl with out removing all the plastic.Removing the middel front lower will exspose the counter balancers for the adjustment.

Remove the push fastners at the bottom of the right and left middel cowls, the 2 srews and push fastners. on the front lower and push away on one of the middel cowls. it will slip out.

I suggest removing all the plastic to do some of the work you intend to do. I have learned that after some time memory is not the way to put it back together.

When possabel put the fastner back where it came from. like when you remove the black lowers, No bags or cups to deal with the fastners are right there when you go to put it back.

Do get some zip lock bags and a sharpie to label every thing. Also I used some large black plastic bags and baged my large plastic and hung it up out of the way. No chance of damage that way!

When adding your farkels. Do take the time to trial fit the plastic as to not get caught with it not fitting once your ready to fit it all back together!

I'm takin my plastic off for the first time. Damn, I knew I should have bought the service manual by now!! I'm trying to feel it out. I'll label all the fasteners, good tip. It's not as easy as the 1100 it seems.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Top Bottom