Glove box removal / mount ideas.

Hi guys.

Well I think from all the reading etc, I have decided to mount my Autocom unit and extra stuff in the right front glove box. Question now seems to be how. I've had the tank up and some of the side panels off, but have never gone any further. I am not sure if it's from being scared to remove the whole thing and not know how to get it back on or what...

Anyway, is there a set of instructions or pictures on how to remove more of the front fairing somewhere? I would like to use the glove box as I said, but I know this is going to take some drilling and wiring, which is going to be a lot easier if I have some finger / arm / leg room to do it. So the question is, can anyone point me in the right dirction on this? I would like to keep the guess work down to a minimum.

Any help is appreciated!

Dave...

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
The pockets are secured to the upper cowl by 5 screws, if you want to remove the pocket to work on the bench with it you must remove the mirror housing, the tip over cover, the lower and upper cowls, and the inside cowl, so you can get to the mounting screws. Requires phillips screw driver, allen head wrench, and a 10mm wrench or socket. Keep tract of where they go so you don't mix the plastic rivets and allen head bolts, they are specific to location. Once the upper cowl has been removed you have access to the screws that hold the pocket to the cowl. When done mounting and the final electrical connection is made for power, make sure you leave enough wire to allow you, or someone else, to plug/unplug when the cowl has to be removed for service or other things, otherwise you need 3 hands, one to hold the cowl, and the other two to unplug the wires.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berzins
Sorry I meant left, I was just standing on the wrong side of the bike! (OK I was just having a bad day). Grin. The weather here has not been bad, just not hot enough to really see a difference in temperature in the glove boxes. Wonder why the right one gets hotter than the left?

Dave...

I've got my AutoCom in the left pocket, so far no worries.
My iPod goes in there as well...no problems with it or the cell phone that either rides in there or clipped to the left handle bar control wiring...
I plan to watch it this summer when conditions get hotter. I'll run some kind of ventilation through the inner cowl if it heats up too much.
Overall it should prove to be a great place to put it even if some ventilation is warranted.

OP
OP
Berzins
Hey Will.

That is the exact setup I am looking to do. Don't suppose you could take a few shots and post them?

What did you use to mount the phone?

Did you end up taking off the cowling to install into the left pocket? Any tips?

What did you end up using to mount your cell phone? This is my only unkown at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Dave...

Still a work in progress.

I have the autocom stuck with velcro to the inside of the pocket. a hole drilled in the front wall of the pocket for all the autocom wires to go through ie; the passenger and rider headset leads...the gps lead...the radar detector lead(don't have one yet) but he wire is run to the handlebar area...and the phone is fed right out of the pocket for now so I can close it up in the pocket or clip it to the left handlebar control wires where they are strapped to the bar (can't lock the cover when the phone is plugged in but I'd always take my phone with me anyway so this isn't too bad for now) I plan on making a metal bracket to clip the phone to the left reservoir in the future.
I use Nextel direct connect as well as the regular phone feature so I need to be able to push the push-to-talk button on the nextel, VOX works fine with auto-answer for regular phone service.

The iPod just lays in the pocket on top of some rags which lay on top of the excess wiring thats in the bottom of the pocket.
I hope to have an infrared remote for the iPod soon so I wont need to access the pocket to change songs, or raise/lower volume. There is plenty of room in there.

I powered the autocom from the swiched lead on the quad harness and drilled another hole below the one that passes the wires through to install the Honda power outlet so I can charge the phone or iPod. Everything has easy to unplug connectors and lots of slack in the wires so it can be unplugged when ever the fairing is removed. I may just remove the fairings before I take it in for any scheduled service to avoid problems with mechanics with attitude, but for emergency service they shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it all out.

I don't have pics right now but may soon, I need to go back in one more time to hook up the heated grips and clean up the wiring now that I'm sure it's all going to work where I have it.
I'll take some pics then, and yes, you do have to remove the side fairing and lower fairing but I've done it without removing the inner cowling twice now.
Getting it apart is only a bit scary the first time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berzins
Hey Mutineer.

Do you have anything more to add regarding heat for your equipment in the left hand pocket?

I was thinking of adding my Autocom, radio and ipod in there as well but have been advised against it by a few people. They say it will get to over 100F is that pocket with the engine and outside heat.

Anyone have anything they can add to point me in the right direction on this?

Dave...

Top Bottom