crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
iPod Setup Finally Here

Hey all,

Well I finally got all the parts I needed to do my iPod setup. Here's the list of stuff:

Clear Case: iPod mini Shield + Accessory Kit

or use the Black Case: DLO Podfolio mini

Belkin TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter F8V3080-APL

Belkin Mobile Power Cord for iPod w/ Dock Connector F8V7067-APL

Griffin Technology AirClick Remote Control iPod mini

I wanted to put the whole thing in the fairing pocket and have everything powered. This accomplishes that. With this setup you have some flexibility also in the fact that you can use the RF remote and still wire in the headset output instead of using the FM transmitter. You can remove the power adaptor and put the iPod with the FM transmitter into a tank bag or somewhere else and use the RF remote to control it which would be a completely wireless solution.

The Belkin adaptor has a DC jack on it so that you can power the FM transmitter with the same cable so now everything is powered with only one DC adaptor. Then adding the RF remote allows you to control the iPod including power on/off while it is stowed safely away somewhere. the FM transmitter works well even with my crappy little radio:
TV/Weather/AM/FM Radio Walkman?spacerSRF-M37V

I do run all my audio into a Mix-It though to give it a boost. This is my third FM transmitter and it seems to work the best out of the three. Some FM transmitters only send the line out audio which is not amplified and relies on your radio to boost the sound. Belkin has a different DC power cord that uses the line out but builds an amp into the cord to boost the audio.

Pros:
1. Totally DC powered
2. Allows you to stow the whole setup away
3. Flexibility in using different combinations
4. Do not need direct line of sight for remote control
5. Wireless control (remote uses big buttons, easy with gloves on)
6. iPod is protected and can be mounted in the pocket with accessory kit

Cons:
1. Fairing pocket may be too hot to run this in there
2. FM transmitter must be powered on after turning off the bike (ugh)
3. Pricey setup

That's all. I tried it out and it seems to work well.

Curt

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm running a similar setup except in the left pocket with an Autocom system instead of the FM transmitter. I have my cell phone, Autocom and iPod all in the left pocket, locked, and the remote on the left handlebar that way I can park the bike and the stuff is locked up.

Yes you can get the remote for a full size iPod, mine is working well on a 20 gig 4th generation iPod. I think they may only work on 3rd generation and newer but check because I may have misunderstood the review I read.

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey RC, yes they do. Just click the link and read about it.

I wanted to put it in the left pocket so I could lock it up but I don't have 12V in that pocket... yet.

Do you worry about the heat with your setup?

Curt

Curt, please keep us up to date on performance regarding the hot-pocket. I'm thinking of putting a minidisk player in there and would like to know how heat affects your Ipod.

crazykz said:
Do you worry about the heat with your setup?

Curt
Yep, I plan to vent the inner cowls in front of the pockets a bit. So far it's been cool enough but I bet this summer it would be a problem...

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I am using the IMC MIT-100 intercom setup. For $200 it kicks ass.

I believe Whitehorse Press is also selling a "just the headphones" setup for about $30 I think. THe MIT-100 is great. It has one music input, one cellphone input, and one push-to-talk radio input. The cellphone input is vox and works well and comes with everything you need including radio adaptors and the push to talk switch which is extra with an autocomm setup.

http://www.imc-electronics.com/intercom.html

Do a search on MIT-100 here to se more on this thing. I haven't written it up offically but I really do like it. For $200 you can't beat it IMHO.

I can't find the vendor I saw on this site that sells them. All I remember is that they sold 5 or 6 different intercom vendor setups.

If you want a cheap music only solution headset setup here's one:
MP3 headset
Curt

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I did a test ride in the rain today, not that the rain had anything to do with it, and I'm not sold on this setup yet. It's good if you don't have your tank bag but I'm not sure the remote works reliably enough for the on/off function. I'm going to keep trying and I can always post any findings.

Curt

Top Bottom