Russell Dual Vinyl

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
It's time to start farkling the new bike. First up: Seat. The stock seat has got to come off. I can't find any info regarding using the stock seatpan, so got a couple of questions. Does Russell use the original seatpan when they build the seat? Anyone here bought the Russell Dual Vinyl, and how do you like it?

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Paul said:
I have the Russell Vinyl. I only did the front seat. I went with Vinyl because I was concerned with leather in the serious sun of the SouthWest. Best money I spent was the Russell. They use your seat pan so the bike will be down unless you buy another seat.

Paul
Roughly how long did you wait for the seat?

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I went with Russell leather front and back a couple of years ago and it's awesome. Did 570 miles in a day a while back and absolutely no tired buns. Maggie is taking her '05 into Rich next week and if you want, I'll shoot some pix of the finished product.

John

Leather Russell

I also bought both Russell seats in leather, and it's probably the best addition I've made to the bike. At least now I can ride in comfort and my wife no longer slides into me when I stop quickly. At the time I ordered the 2 seats, I also ordered the slide in backrest which I leave at home if I'm riding solo, and the seat cover which I use to protect the leather from the rain. The 2nd best investment was the Cee Bailey windscreen, 6 inches wider and 5 inches higher.
ARNOLD

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
For you guys with the Russells with back rests, you must have 46" arms to make those work!! Maybe because I've just never tried it, but a back rest with an ST is just counter intuitive to me. Do you use them that often to make them worth the investment? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of one of you on board with the back rest in place.

John

JM Anthony said:
For you guys with the Russells with back rests, you must have 46" arms to make those work!! Maybe because I've just never tried it, but a back rest with an ST is just counter intuitive to me. Do you use them that often to make them worth the investment? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of one of you on board with the back rest in place.

John
John, my arms are both 52 inches in length. It's a long story but I was involved in a tragic industrial accident at the age of 19. Just kidding ;)

The backrest works ok. It has a height and fore/aft adjustment. I also have the MCL handlebar repositioning plate installed on the bike. I'm not sure if the backrest would work without it.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Actionfigurejoe said:
Here's a couple of pics. It's the Russell with leather inserts and full rear seat/backrest.
Appreciate the pics. Looks real good. I don't think I will need the backrest though. But I like what I see. I'll probably get the vinyl version.

Top Bottom