Can we make a separate forum for rain gear?

RCS

I have found myself riding in the rain many times in the past year and need some experienced advice on rain gear such as over gloves, over boots, rain outfits, etc.

Presently, I have purchased solutions for each of these items but I'm sure there are better options available. Right now, I'm looking at a Motoport Aerotex rain suit - pants and jacket - to go over my Motoport air kevlar outfit for cold winter riding. My Aerotex liners don't work so well at 30 degree F weather traveling 75 mph for many hours. So, I'm leaving the Aerotex liners at home, inserting Gerbing electric liners - Jacket & Pants - with the plan of using an Aerotex rain suit as the outer wind/rain breaker. (I've tried to stuff everything under the Air kevlar outfit but I then have the flexibility and look of the Michelin Tire Man).

There are many choices in rain suits to wear over protective gear including Frogg Togg, Firstgear Rainman, and Motoport Aerotex. So, here is the dilemma, which to choose?

I have significant and positive experience with the Aerotex liners, but at $270 for the outer rain suit it is at the top end of the price spectrum.

Byron

STOC #
I probably don't have the cold as bad a you but do know the Michelin Man feeling at times once the layers build. My solution was Olympia AST jacket and Ranger 2 pants. Waterproof and warm enough so liners are not needed until things get below 50 degrees. The liners provided usually provide enough warmth for the areas they cover which leaves my hands and feet. Boots are Sidi and waterproof but need electric socks to keep the feet nice and toasty. :D Gergbing G3's keep the hands warm. I've been out when it's down to 30 degrees and been fine.

Summer-time rain is handled by the liners of my Olympia mesh.

I say go for the best you can afford at the time. If it doesn't work you can still go up unless you started there and then it's time to talk to the manufacture.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
I can't offer anything on the "overwear" issue you specifically asked about but on the off chance some of this may be at least interesting to you, I can report the following...

I just returned from a ride to Northern Arkansas. It was right at 1,000 miles round trip and all but about 300 miles was in a steady rain (not drizzle, rain!). The temperature ranged from 48 F. to 55 F.

When the rain first started, I pulled out my never worn, never even tried on rainsuit. I probably don't need to report that it didn't fit (way too small to fit over gear - it would have been a perfect fit if worn by itself, though). So, it went right back into the stuffsack and it is now in the trunk of my car. It will be really handy if I ever need to get out in the rain and do something like change a tire.

But, as it turned out, I didn't need the rainsuit. I was wearing a Revit Cayenne Pro jacket and pants with the rain and thermal liners both in and I stayed dry and toasty warm the entire trip. The Revit gear would have been too warm with the thermal liner in if the temp had been any higher. I have no idea how cold it could go before the Cayenne became inadequate for warmth though.

Gloves - Revit Unix H20. Again, warm and dry. Boots - Sidi Canyon. Warm and dry.

Bottom line for me was that there was no bulk, temperature was "perfect" and I stayed dry. No fuss, no mess.

Top Bottom