Clutch Holder

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
WVBigRed said:
Any tricks for holding the clutch hub to tighten the locking nut?
95 ST1100
Thanks In Advance:cool:
I put the bike in gear and had my wife press down hard on the brake pedal. I used 5th gear so that there would not be too much mechanical advantage trying to turn the power train and wheel while I was tightening. I think you only need to go to about 46 ft. lb. or so, IIRC and this technique worked fine for me on my old '93.

Don't forget to re-stake that nut to the shaft!

Should not be a problem. The motor puts a lot more stress through the clutch and driveline. The specific clutch holding tool is technically the best way to do it.

OP
OP
WVBigRed
STOC #
I made a holder out of a piece of 1/4" plate and some bolts.
Looks like a doughnut shaped table with five legs
Legs (pins) engage gussets in clutch center cage to allow holding assembly while cranking it down. socket wrench fits through the hole in the center.
Im back in the saddle again.
FYI..my clutch was not slipping but clutch handle "free play" was almost gone. New plates did the trick:)

wanderlust

Born to Wander
STOC #
Same problem here. I created a clutch basket holder out of a pine board 1x6 about 3 feet long. I used five 3/8" carriage bolts 3 1/2 " long with washers and nuts. I used the spring plate as a template for drilling the holes, except that the distance of each of the five bolt holes was slightly further from the center hole (approx. 1/4"). A little patience and careful measurement, and you'll have it.

I saved a pile of bucks, and it worked like a charm.
Here are the photos:

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom