How big is your duffel?

Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Fizz! It's the best thing since they stopped making tents from canvas. If you want to open up both side expansions on the large size you might need to mount it the wrong way like I do:

It's HUGE.
What are the soft sidebags you have, that are in front of the factory sidecases?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
We use these:

Cabelas Boundary Waters Bag. Not sure what size we got, but think it is "Large"

Last edited:
I also use a Cabelas boundary waters duffel, the smallest size (but called large) which is 24x12x12. I specifically wanted something at least 24" in length to accommodate a Kermit (23"), my cot (24") and my GCI macro table (24"). The 3 lay across the bottom of the bag side by side and only take up about 2-3" of height from the bag.

Added to that are an Exped Symat 9DLX, HUGE Walrus tent, a Mountain Hardwear FLIP sleeping bag, cook kit, stove inside of cookware and a single change of clothes in case I have to change in the tent. (rest of clothing is in a side bag, I also pack a thin high tech material t shirt in with my sleeping bag). If two up then there is just enough room for a second sleeping bag and pad, or I switch to a wide pad and pack is separately depending on the destination and length of stay, and since I have human warmth I switch to two ultra light summerweight sleeping bags.

So, just think about what the largest or longest item you might carry in the duffel is and go with something that will accommodate.

Oh and the duffel is fully waterPROOF, you can fill it with bricks and feathers and dump it into a pool, pull it out and all the feathers will remain dry (a moderately weighed load will float)

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
What are the soft sidebags you have, that are in front of the factory sidecases?
Those are Bike Nashbar Euro Compact Bicycle Panniers. They're supposed to be mounted with the concave side pointing front to allow room for your heels while pedaling. I had to modify the mounting system but they stay on solidly and they're up off the pipes.

And they're on sale now for even less than I paid.

Bike
ST1300
I use a 22" drybag w/helen Two-Wheels straps in front of my trunk. If I'm careful, the length of it doesn't get in the way of the mirrors but it is big. The thing I like about it most is I hate to leave the bike anywhere for any length of time with it strapped on there. It wouldn't take anyone very long to run off with my entire camping outfit and I can't afford to replace all that stuff right now. I'd rather have a trailer that I can lock up but that's a whole different order of expense and trouble to set up.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

LLBean's largest non-rolling duffel bag, wrapped in garbage bags. No mirror blocking, kinda made a sweet backrest.:D

There is a Givi luggage rack under all that mess, its not hanging off the back by more than a foot.

This is when my ST got its nickname "The Camel" because you had to slip between the two humps.

Bike
'04 ST1300
I used a Seattle Sports dry bag from REI at TentSTOC II. Packed a 3 man tent w/ rain fly and footprint, 2 thermarest pads, 2 down sleeping bags.

It's 22" long. Tied it on with RockStraps on the rear rack. Makes a great back rest for the pillion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom