GiPro DS (gear indicator) installation on ST1300 2010 model

Sometimes I have a niggle with the bike and I don't realise just how much it bothers me.

My Gipro DS gear indicator is such a thing. I'm irritated it doesn't work of course but far worse is the anticipation. The anticipation of removing it, dismantling a lot of the front end of the bike with the possibility of doing it twice or having the bike off the road while I return it and they send me a new one.

And then I read that on some bikes 'Ivan's Fuel Cut Eliminator' can cause issues with the Gipro. Another problem although they worked fine together for about 1500 miles. How to get around that issue? Which one do I do without?

Yesterday when the gear indicator started acting up it was raining. I thought little of this other to check the connector which was tight and bone dry. I sprayed some WD40 around it anyway.

I've emailed the dealer I bought it from and Healtech in the US who make it.

I just got an email from the States. Basically if the unit calibrates (as it does) and then fails to work it's either the neutral switch stuck on (the neutral light goes out okay) or the clutch switch stuck.

I removed the clutch switch, checked it visually, sprayed it with WD40 and cycled it a dozen times before putting a multimeter on it. All good. Then I reinstalled it and checked again with a multimeter, again all good.

Ran the bike on the stand and success. All is good. Reset and recalibrate anyway to make sure and brilliantly it's fine, no dismantling, no returning, no waiting and no compatibility issues with the FCE.

I'm mega chuffed.

Got a new Garmin Zumo hood too. It's huge. When the Zumo was covering my indicator repeaters there was no glare, now I've moved it it's hard to read in direct sunlight. This is an attempt to sort that. I'll let you know when the sun makes an appearance :)

I've got the same problem that you had! GiPro was working well, and I had an FCE from my previous bike, so during a big maintenance/farkling episode when the bike was naked, I installed the FCE and my Gipro just stopped working, showing up a "_", regardless of how many times I calibrated it. I had decided to remove the FCE, as I'd rather have the GiPro working, but just hadn't got around to it. Then, most recently, I installed an MC Cruise, and I couldn't get the clutch switch to deactivate the MCC. As I had a spare clutch switch, I installed that, but still no good in de-activating the MCC. Then I just read your post and it clicked. My clutch switch must be dicky, so it might be the problem that I'm having with the FCE/GiPro. I'll have to check it out now, as I'd rather get that fixed as it may solve 2 problems for me. It's not too much of a problem with the MCC, as it will sense the sudden rise in revs and cut the cruise without the clutch switch, but if that is the issue, then all should then work properly; MCC, GiPro and FCE! Thanks, can't wait to check it now!

Andrew

I suspect that it is Andrew. My bikes done another 600 miles and it's all good. If the switches are dodgy it's not normally obvious. I've had mine off again and I used contact spray this time.

I checked the clutch switches and they all tested ok, so going back to the simple process of problem solving, I removed the last change (the FCE) and all of a sudden, the GIPro was working. Went for a ride and didn't even need calibration. Up until now, my MCCruise would only work if I didn't have the clutch switch wire plugged in, so I tried plugging it in and now the MCCruise is working as it should.

I'm not sure what the issue was with the FCE, but removing it has solved my problems, and I can't really notice any change for the negative in the throttle response or rideability of the bike. For me, the FCE is a very poor expensive paper weight. One thing I will be interested in is to see if the fuel consumption goes down. I used to get about 4.9L/100k or 48MPG, but since installed the FCE, I get around 6.2L/100K or 38MPG. I'll be doing a 1000 mile trip this weekend, so I guess I'll know be the end of it.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Did the $25 unit from China last Friday. Bought it a while ago, just got around to doing it.

Easy enough install - tapped 4 of the 6 connections at the instrument connector (solder and shrinkwrap), ran a cable back to the underside of the seat on right side to get the ignition pulse, left the program wire open (taped).

Everything worked first try, still need to find the permanent mounting spot, but may just keep it at the top of the cluster on the left side where I passed through the cable through the existing vent hole. Happy with the result, hopefully it lasts.....

How is the unit holding up? Is it working as it should? Just got a 13 and very tempted to install one as well.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is working just fine, no issues at all.

Just put the bike away for winter, but I don't expect any problems in the spring. Very happy with it overall.
How about a wiring diagram? What wires did you connect to what? I have had a gear/amp indicator for years, but there isn't a plug on the end, so I have to figure out what wires hook up to where. I really don't feel like splicing in 6 different areas, and was hoping to figure out how to hook up to the diagnostic plug, but never have gotten to it. Thanks.

Top Bottom