GiPro DS (gear indicator) installation on ST1300 2010 model

Bike
ST1300 2010 Red
Has anyone installed GiPro DS on post 2008 ST1300 model?

How do I go about installing GiPro DS (gear indicator) on ST1300 2010 model? It came with an instruction booklet but it only states to connect it to the DLC connector.
1. Where is the DLC on ST1300 2010 model?
2. Does it need to be connected to a power source?

I have seen a thorough instruction on installing it on an earlier ST1300 model but I believe the post 2008 ST1300 model is different and does not require such an extensive installation.

Did not find anything on the net either.

Any help would be excellent.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Actually it's post 2007 models, the 2008 model should be the same as yours. There is a red connector under the passenger seat, on the right - sitting on the bike - side.

It will have a plug/cap in it that will need to be pulled off...

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2010 Red
Tnx Mellow.

And does it need to be connected to a power source? Or it is just plug-and-play once it is connected to the DLC? I have read it on the net that the GiPro DS version I got is plug-and-play which does not require connection to the power source. But other articles suggest otherwise. So I am a little confused which is right.

The bike is still under warranty and do not want to void it by doing something untoward with it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's plug and play, there's power in that connector for the indicator.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
On my 2008, the connector was tightly wrapped in tape and was pretty much invisible. Not easy to spot, but real easy to connect once you do find it and pull some of the tape back. Let me know if you need a pic or two.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2010 Red
A few pics would be excellent just so that I can locate it without pulling off too much tape or hunting its exact whereabouts. Cheers.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2010 Red
I am having problems with the unit. The unit is flickering constantly which makes it difficult to read. Anyone had this problem? On top of that I tried to reset the unit to try to correct the problem and now I can't set the unit. Read the installation manual on how to reset and set, but failed to get it working. Anyway, I have contacted the seller to get a replacement if possible.

I was so looking forward to it too............. Sigh.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
The initial calibration (they may call it "training," I cannot recall) procedure is a little bit finicky and I have heard that it has to be carried out pretty much as directed and immediately upon installation. No issues here, either with calibration or since. It has worked perfectly for quite a long time now. I believe the calibration procedure is likely the most critical aspect of the entire installation.

I'm confident that you already know this, but you only see a gear indicator number when the clutch has been released and you are in gear and moving. As you pull in the clutch and come in for a final complete stop, the indicator goes blank.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2010 Red
I did exactly as the manual stated for the initial installation. It all seemed to have worked. But then when I took it for a ride, the symptoms started. I thought I had calibrated it incorrectly. So have reinstalled and recalibrated it several times. Now it seems the unit works sometimes but quite often shows wrong gear position eg when I am in 3rd it shows 6th. It seems the unit is not altogether sure where it is. And the unit still flickers - all the vertical and horizontals bars of the figure 8.

I am hoping to have a go at recalibrating it again or let the unit be "trained" for a few days if that is possible.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
The most difficult part for me was recognizing precisely when "training" was accomplished in each gear and then shifting smartly into the next gear, etc. Since I couldn't get it on the centerstand for the operation, I had it precariously balanced on a lift. As I said, tricky, but all went well and it worked the first time. It is definitely starting to sound like you may have a defective unit, isn't it?

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I found this old post of mine, and am still wondering if anyone has done the GIPro install on an ST. Any pictures out there?

Scott

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I found this old post of mine, and am still wondering if anyone has done the GIPro install on an ST. Any pictures out there?

Scott
I was looking into this too...

Russ Le Blang has done it - finished pictures in his album, but you could PM him about the details of how it went.

My bike is 2007, so the DS model isnt supported (2008 and newer, apparently). I have to use the X-Type - which will work fine, but I have to tap directly into the Speed and RPM sensors, no pre-connectorized option available. Probably wont stop me from proceeding but I'll probably wait until spring.

Check the other thread below - started as a Do It Yourself, but the GIpro is mentioned in later responses..

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?33002-ST1300-Gear-Position-Indicator-(Do-It-Yourself)/page31

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Paul:

I went through that long thread this morning. I ended up finding a blog at CLICK HERE for some great pictures. That coupled with the Service Manual explanation of how to remover the speedo cluster may just inspire me to install the GIPro. I would guess for me to do the install, I would be looking at 3 hours total. I try to take my time on installations I've done to the bike, that is once I've conjured up the nerve to take the bike apart! I'm thinking this could very well be a good winter project.

Scott

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I like the idea of mounting it in the panel on the right - but it is a bit destructive to the original equipment. I will probably leave it under the speedometer in the middle panel.

From the Hanes manual, it doesn't look too hard to get at the Speed sensor - though it says "access is restricted, but is best from below".

The local dealer in Canada sells the X-type with a bike specific harness - not as simple as the DS, but not too bad. One inline connector and a few taps.

The blog you mentioned looks interesting... but not sure I have the nerve to do that!

Good luck!

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I did the GIPro install this morning. Start to finish it took me 3 hours, but I took my time. After plugging in the indicator to the Diagnostic port, the setup went like a breeze. I took the bike out for a quick test, and the indicator performed flawlessly. I REALLY like this farkle!

Scott

I've had mine up and running for about 5 weeks/2,500 miles and it's been absolutely fine.

Today it started to show a '-' instead of the gear number in low gears at low rpm. This was intermittent. I got it home, checked the plug was good and reset/setup.

Before it starts setup it shows a 'L' and between each gear it shows a 'n'. I don't remember this from the initial setup. Can anyone comment on this?

Anyway, despite an apparently successful setup it hasn't sorted it.

Not looking forward to stripping the bike down again :(

Edited to add:

A couple of weeks back I fitted Ivan's FCE. The Gipro has been working fine for over 1,000 miles with the FCE. Has anyone had compatibility issues with the FCE?

Peter

Last edited:
Top Bottom