Hydration System (Need something better than camelback)

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I used a camelback with semi success during my previous Iron Butt rides but I am looking for something better, faster, easier for upcoming rallies.

In the past I mounted my camelback behind me and reached around for the drinking hose that was at the mercy of the wind.

The next trip I bought tubing and ran the tube from the camelback behind me all the way to my tank bag, easy to access, but the liquid was hot as heck to drink and the camelbacks stink to fill when strapped to a bike.

I notice a lot of rally guys have a gallon sized cylinder mounted just above rear pegs and have either a hose on a lanyard or a self coiling hose. Can anyone share any information on these?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I use a camelback with an extended hose. One trick is to blow the liquid back into the bladder when you are finished taking a drink; this will keep it cold. Also, I use a retracter attached between the hose and tankbag, so when I'm done I just let go of the hose. The retracter is the type used for keys and security badges.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I fill my camelback with water (half full) and lay it flat in my freezer the night before the ride. The next morning, I fill it the rest of the way with water, and it stays cold all day. :)

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I use a camelback with an extended hose. One trick is to blow the liquid back into the bladder when you are finished taking a drink; this will keep it cold. Also, I use a retracter attached between the hose and tankbag, so when I'm done I just let go of the hose. The retracter is the type used for keys and security badges.
So you keep your camelback in the rear and run an extended hose to the front? I did this and the volume of liquid in the hose would cause a lot of extra sucking and blowing then I would care for... But its a valid solution to the overheating liquid.

This looks promising.

I fill my camelback with water (half full) and lay it flat in my freezer the night before the ride. The next morning, I fill it the rest of the way with water, and it stays cold all day. :)
I'm looking for a multi-day solution, but this is good to think about.

I really like how Shuey mounted a camelbak along his tank bra, very well done, but still needs to be removed to topoff with a McDonald's free cup-o-icewater.

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I've been looking at some jackets that come with hydration packs, the bladder itself is built right into the jacket, easily removed. Seems it would be more practical in terms of refilling. Any thoughts on those?

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I put the camelback bladder in my tank bag and use the hose that came with it. I fill the bladder with ice and then water. I wrap it in a towel so it helps keep the bladder cool and absorb any moisture that comes off the bladder. I also blow out the water after I take a drink. When it is time to fill the bladder, un zip the tank bag and fill it. As far as the hose goes, my tank bag has a loop handle on it. I just stick it through the loop and it stays put. I do not put it on my back on the ST for the same reason as Smash

RCS

I rode 600 miles in 105 F temps (east/midwest region of US) with a pair of 2.5 liter camelbaks. The night before I took some 12 oz plastic water bottles and froze them. I cut off the plastic and put them in the camelbaks. I wore one camelbak on my back and stored the other in a sack on the passenger seat. I switched out to the second camelbak about half way through the trip. Both kept the water cold. Key was to blow back water into the bladder after drinking.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Mike They also sell an insulator that goes over the drinking tube I use it on my trip to Utah and it helped but the best thing is to blow the liquid back into the container. I used 2 coolers one inside the other with a large bladder inside I ran the tube up to the tank bag this worked well for me. But if you add an auxilary fuel tank you will have to find somewhere else to mount it. Curt uses a gallon bottle attached to the mount for his fuel cell I think. You may want to ask him for some tips.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm trying to find a link to the nice one that someone makes and mounts to the footpeg.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I use a smaller Camelback 1.3L.
http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-FlashFlo-1-3-Liter-Hydration-Pack/dp/B000IF6SQC

I wear it high and reversed so the actual bladder is resting on my back rest and not pull down around my waste on the straps. The tube I route up through the ride side jacket ( Joe Rocket Mesh) side adjustments, then under my right arm pit and secure it with the snap connector just under my chin. Easy left hand access and slight downward head tilt, I get a drink.. Doesn't flop around or beat my chest to death. Its smaller, but plenty for me for fuel stop to fuel stop.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'm trying to find a link to the nice one that someone makes and mounts to the footpeg.
Curt. If you're thinking about the Skyway Motorcycle Accessories 'Hydration System', TTBOMK that outfit is out of business. Real nice looking setup though. Here's what it looks like:

[from this webpage I found: http://www.mattwatkins.org/ibr/archives/19

I'm going to make something like this. Have 4 different water jugs now... have to pick one of them for the project. Currently I use a 50oz Camelbak bladder in an insulated 4 can fabric case (designed to strap on a golf bag) hung from my saddle just above the passenger left footpeg.

edit: here's a picture:
PICT5265C.JPG

Works wonderfully, but it's a PITA to take the bladder out and in to the gas station, and fill it with ice and water. I plan a quick disconnect so I can grab the jug and get it filled quickly and easily.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Curt. If you're thinking about the Skyway Motorcycle Accessories 'Hydration System', TTBOMK that outfit is out of business. Real nice looking setup though.
That looks nice because you can dump a cup of McD ice water and roll away with less frustration. I saw the previous posts recreate it with a thermos. What does it look like when removed from the neoprene looking sleeve?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I learned while at Moonshine that John fills his in the rest room.:rofl1::mw1::scared2:

I have had good luck useing my soft cooler strapped behind me with a large Camelback bladder inside.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Similar to, but easier than the above - I have a 2 quart round cooler with a drinking spout bungied to the right passenger footpeg. I then use 3/8" tubing from the drinking spout attached to my tank bag. Easy to refill with ice and new drink. Stays nice and cold if you "blow back" after taking a sip. Keeps my back seat free for my camping gear.

I also have a 1 gallon size for longer day, or desert riding.

Attachments

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Mike, I tried out a 1/2 gal jug on the rear peg for Moonshine. It worked great. Will you be at Bennington Sat? I can bring it. If not let me know when and we can get together some time.

Dave

I used a camelback with semi success during my previous Iron Butt rides but I am looking for something better, faster, easier for upcoming rallies.

In the past I mounted my camelback behind me and reached around for the drinking hose that was at the mercy of the wind.

The next trip I bought tubing and ran the tube from the camelback behind me all the way to my tank bag, easy to access, but the liquid was hot as heck to drink and the camelbacks stink to fill when strapped to a bike.

I notice a lot of rally guys have a gallon sized cylinder mounted just above rear pegs and have either a hose on a lanyard or a self coiling hose. Can anyone share any information on these?

Top Bottom