Hydration System (Need something better than camelback)

By no means am I trying to cut into Gary's profits and I WILL be ordering one of his clamp systems when I can afford it but for now this is my $20 solution. Seems to work ok and I have tested with the jug empty. So far it seems solid. I will ride with it full tomorrow. I will have to be very careful not to let the straps touch the hot pipes when I need to remove the jug thus why I want Gary's system. I could drop the $100 on it or go to NatSTOC but not both right now. The jug is a one gallon Coleman from Wal-mart. I am thinking I want to move the strap that runs around the bottom of the jug up above the top tip over bar bolt to make it run a little higher on the jug.

2012-06-27180509.jpg 2012-06-27180614.jpg 2012-06-27180736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Hey Mark , What size Polar Bear Cooler do you have?

6-12-24 pack?
12 for me too Greg. You can get a large bladder in there and a lot of ice. Then when I get where I'm headed I just swing in and pick up a sixer to get me settled while setting up camp. ;>)

Mar

Bike
ST 1100
Let's try this:

I'm ready to start making these before the hot season starts.
I just received mine from Gary for my ST1100 (in Co you want to hydrate year round) and it works like a charm. I especially appreciated the extra 90 degree customized elbow that fits the bite valve. I added a retractable security badge holder.
P1050596a.jpg

Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #
I received my hydration system from Gerauld as well and love it. Good size. Like Mar above, I use a retractable security badge holder that has a plastic loop that is just the right size for holding the drinking tube.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Something I see is that everyone packs all hydration systems with ice in some form. Keep in mind that your body actually produces MORE heat to WARM the water you're drinking, which is typically counterproductive. While ice cold water (or other beverage) tastes great on a hot day, it will not reduce your body temperature nor hydrate you nearly as efficiently as room temp water will. I only add just enough ice/ice packs to cool the water down if it is warm already. Also, a lot of people think a huge bottle of Gatorade is just the ticket. I recently read an article that said while Gatorade and the like do work to replenish electrolytes, they found that only a 5% dilution was all that was needed to give you your fix, not the pure sugar 100% concentrate in bottles. Just a thought...but not a debate ;-)

I still wear a 100oz Camelbak and call it a gas/rest stop when I empty that. That's typically about 2-3 hours of straight riding in hot weather. I recently did a 9-hour ride in 100? temps and filled it 3 times plus a lunch stop. My urine was still mostly clear, which is a great sign. Light lemonade color/clear = GOOD; Orange = VERY BAD = stop and drink lots NOW!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I had a number of admiring inquiries about mine at WeSTOC. I continue to give an unqualified endorsement of this outstanding product. Hope you get some more customers, Gary.

Bill (ST1300) and I (ST1100) just spent almost five thousand miles on the road with our Garauld TechWorks systems, always at the ready. I consider mine essential kit for summer riding.

John
via iPhone 6

Top Bottom