Adjusting rear shock preload to "standard" setting

Bike
2004 ST1300
Well then I'll add the oil and keep trying to get this technique for the stand.
I had a lot of problems getting it on the center stand at first, too. The trick for me was pushing the center stand down and then easing the bike over until it touched the right side of the stand. When its fully upright, putting all my 180 lbs of me on the stand and pulling back is pretty easy.

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
Roll your rear wheel onto a 1/2" thick piece of wood... it will be MUCH easier to get it onto the centerstand.
I'm going to try this tonight. Larry had said something similar. I commandeered an old safety mat with an eased edge, cut it into three 12"x24" strips and put them on top of each other, which should give about 1/2" when compressed. I'll let you know how I make out.

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I had a lot of problems getting it on the center stand at first, too. The trick for me was pushing the center stand down and then easing the bike over until it touched the right side of the stand. When its fully upright, putting all my 180 lbs of me on the stand and pulling back is pretty easy.
That's what I have to get more confidence in doing- putting all my weight on the stand and pulling back.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm going to try this tonight. Larry had said something similar. I commandeered an old safety mat with an eased edge, cut it into three 12"x24" strips and put them on top of each other, which should give about 1/2" when compressed. I'll let you know how I make out.
12"x24"? I just use about a 6"x6" piece. Just to be clear, only raise the tire, not the centerstand, else you're not gaining anything. ;)

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
12"x24"? I just use about a 6"x6" piece. Just to be clear, only raise the tire, not the centerstand, else you're not gaining anything. ;)
Ha. Yes, just the tire. The 24 was the width of the mat I cut into thirds (24x36) to stack. I'll post a pic later. Thanks Paul

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That's what I have to get more confidence in doing- putting all my weight on the stand and pulling back.
You DO NOT need to pull back on anything :well1: Place the center stand in the correct position, make sure your handlebars are straight, and position your body correctly, and LEAD/GUIDE the bike rearward by using the passenger grab rail.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It cannot be stated clearly enough........ there is no lifting involved in this task. The work is done by the lever of the center stand pressed down by the right leg. The right hand under the grab handle only serves to keep our bodies from rising up when we press down on the centerstand. The right hand under the handle or grab rail only acts to transfer the downward pressure of the leg to the lever of the centerstand. There is minor effort expended by the arms to pull back and assist the bike to rise and come back and over-center the center stand. It's the leg and body weight pressing down on the footrest of the center stand that does it.

If you feel you cannot 'lift' it up your technique just needs a little coaching. The preload adjustment does make a little difference in the effort but it's not a big deal to get it on the stand at the 7 click standard position or with no preload. Key item is to make certain both center stand feet are touching the ground.

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
I put this under the rear tire,and the bike went up with me just standing with my weight on the center stand. Easy. 1/2" made all the difference. No lifting. Thanks!

Attachments

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
Now, once I have oil in the preload and have it adjusted for sag, wouldn't that contribute to the amount of compression when the bike is off the centerstand. It makes sense to me it would, and that would also raise the height of the bike in the rear,like the rubber.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now, once I have oil in the preload and have it adjusted for sag, wouldn't that contribute to the amount of compression when the bike is off the centerstand. It makes sense to me it would, and that would also raise the height of the bike in the rear,like the rubber.
A preload adjuster in good working order raises ride height about 10mm so it would help you get the bike on the center stand.

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
A preload adjuster in good working order raises ride height about 10mm so it would help you get the bike on the center stand.
Now that makes sense to me. I raise the bike approx. 1/2" with the mat, the preload would do about 3/8". I was really amazed how easily it got on the center stand with that difference. Looked a lot more like the video. Thank you.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It cannot be stated clearly enough........ there is no lifting involved in this task
I am north of 200 lbs. Standing on the centerstand lever arm is not sufficient by itself. I don't need to lift a lot, but I do need to lift.

Maybe there's a difference depending on variables such as tires, but I definitely need to lift a little.

My ST1300 is the first bike I've ever owned where my own body weight was not sufficient to get the bike on the center stand. I do know the technique.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am north of 200 lbs. Standing on the centerstand lever arm is not sufficient by itself. I don't need to lift a lot, but I do need to lift.

Maybe there's a difference depending on variables such as tires, but I definitely need to lift a little.

My ST1300 is the first bike I've ever owned where my own body weight was not sufficient to get the bike on the center stand. I do know the technique.
You use the strength of your leg, not the deadweight of 200+ pounds.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
You use the strength of your leg, not the deadweight of 200+ pounds.
I didn't mean to imply that I need to deadlift 200 pounds. With all of my weight on the center stand lever arm (well, almost all because my left foot is still on the ground for balance) I'm probably lifting with about 20 to 40 lbs of force. But that's just a guess since it may be a little more or less depending on technique such as rocking the bike back and using some of its own momentum.

I watched your video a few times now and thanks for posting it, but my bike doesn't rise onto the centerstand quite that easy. In fact, I wouldn't try it with crocs on as you did because I want something sturdier on my foot. I don't know why there would be a difference.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You don't need your left foot on the ground for balance. After you make sure both center stand feet are touching the ground the bike is balanced vertically and isn't going to fall over. Your left hand is on the left grip, your right hand is on the handle and you stand on the center stand pad and PRESS DOWN with your leg strength. As the bike rises and the center stand begins to become vertical and take the weight of the bike, ..... you pull up and back with both arms to help it over-center on the stand. There is very little lifting, none of us can lift half this bike's weight with the right arm.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I get the feeling that those of us who know how to put it on the center stand properly will continue to advocate how easy it is, while those who don't know how to put it up properly will continue to say "it can't be done" and try myriad workarounds.

It's kind of like grown men who complain about how heavy touring bikes are and injure themselves trying to pick one off the ground, while a 150-pound girl with the proper technique comes along and makes them look like fools. There are videos on YouTube.

Motorcycling is funny like that. Lots of people saying "It can't be done" in all sorts of areas, until someone comes along and does it anyway. And then some still refuse to accept it.

Top Bottom