Looky what I did to my Shinko tire...

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Got one of the Shinko Verges to try out on the rear of my 04. [Two Brothers, of course]

Was trying to get it back on the rim, but the PIE eating sidewall was sooooo stiff that I was prying away with my spoons and removed a chunk of the bead...

Never had THAT happen before.

Anyone think it is still useable? or should I just paint it white and plant flowers in it?

[/IMG]

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hard to tell by that picture if it will hold air or not? I put a set of those Shinko's on my ST and had no problem as long as you lubed it up real good first.

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

Hard to tell by that picture if it will hold air or not? I put a set of those Shinko's on my ST and had no problem as long as you lubed it up real good first.

Lube didn't seem to help this time.

I usually compress the opposite side with a big 'ol C-clamp so I can get it into the center of the rim, and with this tire I couldn't even get it to compress down with the clamp!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Junk it.

Pressurized air can get into the casing through that chunk-out and cause delamination of the tread... NOT good..... and certainly not worth the risk.

Bike
2003 ST1300
If you go with the flower pot option be sure to just paint the sidewalls. Then if someone on a loud, chromed out scooter comes by in dire need of a tar, well you might be able to help em out. You must be purty strong with those irons??
My spoonin days ended when I found a local tire shop (not a STealer) to mount mine for $10. Good luck.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd ride a tire with 20 plugs in it and not sure I'd ride on that one...

Bike
ST
I put a chip in the side of my Shinko that I installed last fall. Mine was not as big. so I went ahead with the instal.

Paul

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

Yep, it's a goner. Still can't figure out how I did it. Wasn't prying all that hard. I have pulled and tugged on "tars" before and none of 'em cared as much as this one.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
DANG! We have tore/chunked sidewalls before, even with a machine. The Shinko's are very stiff.

I would just have to look at it and see if it could be run. Not sure it would be safe.

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

DANG! We have tore/chunked sidewalls before, even with a machine. The Shinko's are very stiff.

I would just have to look at it and see if it could be run. Not sure it would be safe.
I ain't gonna trust it. I ain't THAT cheap!

I guess I will just load it up in my trusty cage, and head on down to Lawrenceville next week to YOUR place and let a "PRO" put a tire on for me.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I ain't gonna trust it. I ain't THAT cheap!

I guess I will just load it up in my trusty cage, and head on down to Lawrenceville next week to YOUR place and let a "PRO" put a tire on for me.
That sounds like a good choice! Remember if you are installing tires make sure it is warm out as this helps the tire become softer. I always place my tires inside a black trash bag and place it in the sun while I remove the wheel and tire. I then use a good amount of lube. Thank God I have not had that problem.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Jeeez, I just ordered a front and rear 011 yesterday. Thanks for the warning. Are they stiffer than the OEM 020 tires?

Top Bottom