Tire repair tool source?

I read several posts regarding tire repair kits and portable air compressors. Just ordered the Airman Sparrow but still looking for a good/professional quality plugs, tire cement and the rest of the tools needed for emergency tire repair.

Can anyone recommend something as well as where to purchase? Thanks guys.

P.S. Oh yeh, can I change or modify the Airman?s cord/crocs to fit the battery tender connection already on the bike?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Gummy worms:
You'll need:
Rasp with tee handle (or one that looks like a hand gun), insertion tool, gummy worms and fresh cement.

Check your autozone/checker/kragen/Wally-World etc

The cement will get hard over time, you'll have to decide when you want to buy a new tube by checking it periodicly.

Mark

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
You can purchase a 12V socket from Wal-mart with the end that plugs into the battery tender. You can just plug in the Airman Sparrow to that and your good to go.

I know this from Crazy KZ (Curt), I just did this myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark said:
Gummy worms:
You'll need:
Rasp with tee handle (or one that looks like a hand gun), insertion tool, gummy worms and fresh cement.

Check your autozone/checker/kragen/Wally-World etc

The cement will get hard over time, you'll have to decide when you want to buy a new tube by checking it periodicly.

Mark
Thanks Mark

OP
OP
Gug said:
You can purchase a 12V socket from Wal-mart with the end that plugs into the battery tender. You can just plug in the Airman Sparrow to that and your good to go.

I know this from Crazy KZ (Curt), I just did this myself.
Will do. Thanks.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Mark said:

Mark
Don't keep your patch kit w/cement in the fairing compartments.
The tubes will explode if heated too much:eek:
I have a stop n go plug kit, some gummy worms with a kit plus a tube of glue which I keep in the top box now and a Wally World 12v compressor which fits in the tail section under the seat.

Bike
ST1300
Re: Tire repair

I know this an old thread but if anybody reads it I have a question...
Are you riding on your tires with the tire plug or just using this for temporary, get home, get somewhere to buy new tire?

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Now you've opened a can of gummy worms. Lots written about plugs, including in the last couple of weeks. Some put in a plug and ride the tire until it's gone, others will only plug long enough to get home to patch from inside, and others throw the tire away if it has a hole.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Re: Tire repair

I know this an old thread but if anybody reads it I have a question...
Are you riding on your tires with the tire plug or just using this for temporary, get home, get somewhere to buy new tire?
Really comes down to what you are comfortable with and who you believe. As far as I know, there have been no exhaustive studies of how safe plugged tires are and how long a plugged hole lasts. There are an awful lot of guys who ride safely and happily on plugs (even multiple plugs) until the tires wear out and at the other end of the spectrum are the tire companies (with liability lawsuits hanging over their corporate heads) who tell you to throw the tire away at the first nail hole - NOW! And of course, there are opinions of every shade between. Ymmv.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I look at it this way... if gummy worms (and tire plugs of all sorts) were so unreliable and dangerous, the companies selling them would of been sued out if existence a long time ago. Nader would yank the kits right off the store shelves.

But plug kits still live, a brand new tire could get a puncture hole and suddenly deflate, plus our darkside configuration will bring about the the end of the human race shortly anyway. I'm running double dark, so my contribution to the end is twice as much.

Hmmm... if plugs are so dangerous and unreliable I wonder how many lawsuits are waiting to be filed against me? I have probably plugged half a dozen tires of motorists stranded on the side of the road.

Top Bottom