ABS vs Non-ABS

Looking to pickup a used st1300
i am wondering how much more effective an ABS model would be.
have found some good bikes with low miles NON ABS.
Just not sure any opinions out there?
Thanks

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Re: ABS vs NON ABS on ST1300

I bought new...and the ABS was a good selling point for me. Try this on a non ABS version; My lady and I were crusing at freeway speed, left lane and slightly back from
a cage in the right lane. Double lane freeway turns a long right turn, before these lanes merge onto another freeway. As we sweep around the turn i slowly gain on the cage
vehicle. About when im nearly on his bumper, he suddenly makes a move to my lane. I grab the front brake with all i got...my gal slaps into my backside...and we scrub off enough
speed instantly to avoid him. (linked brakes) Never, EVER...Have I regretted getting ABS. More positive story"s than we have time for now.
Ok......Now all you non ABS'rs can have the floor now.:D

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #

If you never had ABS you won't miss it, but if you have the option get the ABS. I won't buy another new bike without it.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

You'll find that the people with ABS think it's great, and those without it don't seem to think it's all that necessary. (Which may explain why they do or don't have it...) It seems to me that ABS only functions when you don't; it's most useful in low traction situations. It may be more valuable to a less experienced rider, but I know some well heeled guys who still like to have it just in case. My 1300 is a non-ABS model, and I've never had a need for the ABS (not to say that it won't happen, but I've made it 49K without it.) My 1100 was also non-ABS. On a new bike I think you need to look at the extra weight and cost; on a used bike it's more a question of what's available. I wouldn't pass up a bike just because it didn't have ABS, but I wouldn't pay too much of a premium for one that did. If you think you need it, you should get it. If you've gotten along fine without it, it's not really a necessity. Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid to hear it...

This is my first bike with ABS. I know how to use brakes without ABS, but won't buy another heavy bike without it.

I commute year round in the Seattle rain. The drivers around hear are the worst, the road is wet a lot of the time. My logic is that no matter how skilled a rider I become, ABS on my 760lb machine will give me an edge in circumstances that are beyond my control.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Most braking errors are associated with too much rear brake being used, or too much front brake being used TOO SOON, before the front end can compress and then more front and rear braking can be used.

The ST has linked brakes which are great because it gives you a valuable tool by applying front and rear brakes at the same time... this is very efficient and anyone on an ST can tell you the brakes are VERY good.

As for ABS or not, whatever you get, you need to understand that system and know what you can or can't do. I have ABS and I've never felt any slipping at all under any condition other than on a gravel road but I did that on purpose just to see if the ABS worked at all (I don't suggest this either as it might not work out well for you)...

There are lots of great deals on non-ABS bikes out there... ABS bikes cost more but are typically higher on the list of bikes that go first when sold later based on what I've seen here.

It's truly a personal choice... one that I choose.

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

Why would you turn your back on technology? You don't see drum brakes being offered anymore because they have been superseded by a better technology.

Tony
:ukflag1:

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
For me it's the unseen diesel spill in Texas coming up to a red light where my ABS most likely saved me from a bad day. It wasn't even a panic stop.
I can't always see the slippery conditions coming. I like knowing the wheels aren't going to lock up in those conditions, especially in a panic braking situation.
True, I can do without the extra cash and a bit of extra weight, but it's a little insurance that even the best rider might be thankful for in a sudden stop situation. Also true you could go tens of thousands of mile without even activating the system... kinda like a helmet in that respect.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I have an 04, purchased used, with ABS. Haven't (fortunately) had the opportunity to test it (yet) but glad it's there if/when I do need it. Like many, I too try to ride smart and avoid situations where I might have to make a panic decision but no matter how hard you try, there's no accounting for the OTHER guy who might unwittingly put you into one of those situations without warning. That being said, remember that ABS will NOT protect the rear tire stopping due to a downshift and engine braking...I have experienced that one when approaching a newly changed red light too fast.

Bike
2003 ST1300
For me it's the unseen diesel spill in Texas coming up to a red light where my ABS most likely saved me from a bad day. It wasn't even a panic stop.
I can't always see the slippery conditions coming. I like knowing the wheels aren't going to lock up in those conditions, especially in a panic braking situation.
True, I can do without the extra cash and a bit of extra weight, but it's a little insurance that even the best rider might be thankful for in a sudden stop situation. Also true you could go tens of thousands of mile without even activating the system... kinda like a helmet in that respect.
+1 Danny, I'm looking for dual sport as a second bike. I'm hoping I can find one with ABS. My ST is non ABS, so if anyone has ABS and really hates it, I would like to discuss a trade. :)

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
There are people who will disagree, but I'm sold on ABS. In normal use, you'll never know it's there. But in an "emergency", on less than perfect pavement, it will invariably stop you shorter and safer than all but a very, very few expert riders could do. Frankly, I'm not convinced even "expert" riders can stop you shorter than ABS on bad pavement or in slippery conditions.

Some of those who don't think ABS is better like to point to some controlled tests that show an expert rider can stop a non ABS bike a few feet shorter than an equivalent bike with ABS. What they ignore is that these tests were done on perfectly smooth, dry pavement, under conditions where the rider knows he's going to do maximum braking , and can practice the stop.

In the real world, none of those conditions is likely. By definition, you're not prepared, or you wouldn't have to stop so short. Public streets are almost never perfectly smooth and dry: they're cracked and broken, they have sand, oil, leaves, and other loose materials on them. Surface friction changes from place to place. It's a rare rider indeed who can compensate for all these variables, in ever changing combinations, dozens of times a second. An ABS system, OTOH, can do it easily.

Here are a couple of Suzuki videos showing the benefits of ABS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY6nEDeIa78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0bDFRriIls&feature=related

There are also some people who think ABS is bad because it's too complicated, and failure prone. But if there have been any ABS failures on STs, they're very rare.

But you do need to understand the limits of motorcycle ABS. It works great in a straight line, and it may help some if you're slightly leaned over. But if you're leaned over in a curve, and nail the brakes, you're still going to fall. The ABS doesn't know your leaned over, and can't cope with the loss of braking traction caused by the lean.

View ABS as a last ditch backup feature, not as something that will let you get away with stupid mistakes. Ideally, you'll never know it's there. In reality, it could save your bacon some day. Sort of like a full face helmet and ATTGATT, or seat belts and air bags in a car.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Ride appropriately to the road conditions and you will never use the ABS. One thing it would do is help with over braking in a panic situation. If you think you are going to panic maybe its for you. The classic reaction to close encounters is the swerve and brake which puts the bike on the ground. At low speed that might be preferable to hitting something to close to miss. But...at high speed its another story. If you ride in heavy traffic situations where close encounters occur (mistake in itself) it could be a lifesaver. Personally I ride within myself and AVOID dangerous traffic situations. Some people will not consider a bike without ABS so if your concerned with resale in a troubled economy then that is something to think about. The flip side is if it breaks then what? Not fixing it nixes the selling point. If the bikes out of warranty who knows the price to repair it?
Using that logic, I guess you don't need to wear a helmet or protective gear either?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I ride an ABS/CBS/TCS ST1100 normally.

When over for Moonshine, I rode Uncle Phil's Redbird, which is stock, no ABS or CBS or TCS......

Riding that non ABS bike just made me appreciate so much more how GOOD my own brakes are.... I had to re-learn non ABS riding.. and it was not such fun on such a heavy bike.
So, my choice for my riding will ALWAYS be to have ABS and any other riding aid that keeps my butt safe, regardless of how qualified or expert I become as a motorcyclist.

My advice therefore, pay the extra and get whatever edge you can. One day it will save your butt.

If I remember correctly Uncle Phil called it "Automatic Butt Saver"....

:tc1:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I ride an ABS/CBS/TCS ST1100 normally.

When over for Moonshine, I rode Uncle Phil's Redbird, which is stock, no ABS or CBS or TCS......

Riding that non ABS bike just made me appreciate so much more how GOOD my own brakes are.... I had to re-learn non ABS riding.. and it was not such fun on such a heavy bike.
So, my choice for my riding will ALWAYS be to have ABS and any other riding aid that keeps my butt safe, regardless of how qualified or expert I become as a motorcyclist.

My advice therefore, pay the extra and get whatever edge you can. One day it will save your butt.

If I remember correctly Uncle Phil called it "Automatic Butt Saver"....

:tc1:
Hmm, I have to wonder about this. In normal use, you shouldn't ever notice whether the bike has ABS or not. ABS only affects braking at the edge of lock up. What I suspect you noticed was the difference between the 3 piston linked calipers on your bike, and the 2 piston calipers on UP's bike. There's no question the brakes on the newer ABS / TCS bikes are better than those on the older non-ABS bikes, but that's because the brake hardware itself is much better, not because of ABS.

What did you have to "unlearn"? If you're actually actuating the ABS in normal riding, then I think you have a lot to unlearn. Ditto if you're relying on the linked brakes, and not using both front and rear brakes all the time.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I have ABS amd TCS on my 1100. The other day I had to grab a handful of brake, because some idiot in a cage pulled out from the right, in front of me. I was looking her in the eyes, before she pulled out, but she pulled out anyway, then stopped mid lane. My bike stood up on the front end, but didn't lock up. Credit ABS.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
ABS helped me in one situation where I was deep in a corner and had to brake hard while leaned as a deer ran out in front of me. I missed it by inches. Without ABS I wouldn't have braked as hard and if I did I would have likely gone down. So ABS for me.

The selling points for me were that I when I first got my 1100 I was a fair weather rider. I now ride in pretty much any condition but snow and ice. It is nice to have it in reserve if needed.

The other point is that there really are not many posts about ABS failures so the system seems pretty darn reliable. Also unlike the 1100 the 1300 ABS or not has Linked Brakes. Linked brakes are good and bad. There are things I like about them and things I don't. Negatives for me are gravel roads and maintenance. There are more points to bleed from and more lines to deal with. However since both the ABS and Non ABS have this system it was a wash. I was getting Linked Brakes no matter what if I wanted a 1300. So I held out for an ABS. They are harder to find but in my eyes worth the wait. With 2003 it also added the power windscreen.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I missed a deer on a wet road with my wife at pillion when my ABS ST was about two months old.
Might haved missed it without ABS but I don't think so. IMHO.
One thing about LBS is changing the fluid is, well, interesting compared to one brake line on my old bikes!

Top Bottom