Thermostat replace but water pump??

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and will be home for RR in June so I asked my wife to take my bike :06biker: in and have the valve check done and service and while they were at it have them replace the thermostat. I told her that I have had the bike in when it was under warranty for the 2 bars three bars thing and that they said it was normal two years ago "haven't been home ro able to ride much in the last two years". Any way I told her to get it replaced and tell them if it is fine I will pay for it but if it is stuck open I want them to cover it under warranty. I talked to her last night and she told me that they replace the water pump under warranty. Anyone have the water pump cause the 2 bar flashing 3 bars and low gas mileage thing. Now I haven?t seen the bill yet so I am not sure that she got it right either way the replaced it with it being 2 years out of warranty so I am happy.:) I will be even happier if it fixes the issue.:D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The water pump needing replaced usually doesn't have anything to do with the temp bars, that's most of the time solely the t-stat.

If they replaced the water pump, it's because they noticed it leaking from the weep hole.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
First off Thank you for your Service!!!

I would have them also change the thermostat as you do not want any problems when you get home to enjoy that ST. Good luck!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If they replaced the water pump, it's because they noticed it leaking from the weep hole.
And quite possibly the wrong weep hole. Odds are good that if your bike sat for a long time, there will be leakage around some of the hose clamps into the vee, which drains just below the water pump housing. Yours wouldn't be the first dealer to misdiagnose that.

--Mark

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hopefully she got it wrong and they replaced the t-stat.
If it's doing the 2-3 bar dance and they replaced the water pump, the dealer likely got it wrong.
Replacing the water pump 2 years out of warranty isn't according to Hoyle.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:plus1: on your service!

My dealer replaced my seals on the waterpump at onetime (under warranty). I'm going to do it myself this time (At 113K miles, although the bike is still under warranty, just don't want to have the bike down that long!) .

The oil seal seams to be leaking more then the coolant. The newer models have a tube running from the waterpump weep hole, so all the crud build up the earlier models were seeing, the later ones won't ('09 and newer...I think.)

Notice the difference (05 on the left, 09 on the right) next to where the waterpump installs through the front cover:

2005FrontCover.JPG2009FrontCover.JPG

OP
OP
Toaksy

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well i just heared from my lovely wife that it wasn't the water pump they replaced it was the thermostat they replaced under warranty I am very happy that the dealer ship did that for me I guess it pays to tell them that you will pay for it if it is ok but if it is stuck open that they should cover it under warranty. Thumbs up to Garvis honda in Des Moines.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
The water pump needing replaced usually doesn't have anything to do with the temp bars, that's most of the time solely the t-stat.

Have a 2010 ST with a slow drip from the bypass hose. I'm assuming it could be the water pump, but just wondering if anything could be causing the drip.

Thanks

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Have a 2010 ST with a slow drip from the bypass hose. I'm assuming it could be the water pump, but just wondering if anything could be causing the drip.

Thanks
Per the manual, a small amound of coolant dripping is considered normal.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
My '07 has the almost famous intermittent antifreeze leak. After looking through posts and checking/rechecking the service manual. I have 2 questions :
1) Is it possible that I might only need to replace the gasket inside the water pump housing vs. a true water pump mechanical failure?
2) The service manual makes it seem as though you can't remove just what seems to be the "cover" (pg 6-18 of the manual...10 bolts) to inspect the gasket without
involving the impeller being pressed out and the water pump bearings being pulled. Really ?

THANKS for any insights you have and HAPPY and SAFE riding for you and yours this holiday L-O-N-G weekend :)

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My '07 has the almost famous intermittent antifreeze leak. After looking through posts and checking/rechecking the service manual. I have 2 questions :
1) Is it possible that I might only need to replace the gasket inside the water pump housing vs. a true water pump mechanical failure?
2) The service manual makes it seem as though you can't remove just what seems to be the "cover" (pg 6-18 of the manual...10 bolts) to inspect the gasket without
involving the impeller being pressed out and the water pump bearings being pulled. Really ?

THANKS for any insights you have and HAPPY and SAFE riding for you and yours this holiday L-O-N-G weekend :)
Take a look at the hoses and clamps first before you start replacing things.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
1st of all....THANK YOU!
Sure looks lke the "oosing" is coming from between the body of the engine and the front plate that the water pump ( and its hoses) sits behind. I sure will look closer at all connections as they do seem to
be the source of many issues in leak threads, but they seem pretty dry when looking from outside of the plastic. I'm looking for opinions using the assumtion "what if.... the hoses are ok?" Is opening up
the front plate of the water pump housing more involved than just being able to put a new gasket on and bolting the plate back on ( with proper torque of course) ?

Before you start tearing the water pump apart, you should probably determine whether or not it's actually the cause.

--Mark

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Sure looks lke the "oosing" is coming from between the body of the engine and the front plate that the water pump ( and its hoses) sits behind.
There's a hole at the front of the vee at the top of the engine that leads to a drain channel which runs (drumroll, please) behind the water pump cover. If you're leaking at the top of the engine, it's going to dribble its way down to the bottom and come out just above the clutch cover.

I sure will look closer at all connections as they do seem to be the source of many issues in leak threads, but they seem pretty dry when looking from outside of the plastic.
The stuff that usually leaks isn't something you can see with the bike buttoned up. My advice would be to remove the air box and reach in under the throttle bodies and see if there's any crusty green blood on the fittings where the water comes out of the engine. It's either the hoses or, in much-less-frequent cases, the gaskets on the fittings.

While you're there, you'll also be able to get at the thermostat housing, which is another frequent leaker.

--Mark McLeaky

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I have changed out my thermostat two times, both times with a Motorad thermostat, the first replacement always would go back and forth between 3 bars and 2 bars in cool weather. This time I put a rivet in the extra hole that the OEM did not have, left the giggle valve in place of course, now goes to three bars and stays there.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I struggled all year last year trying to fix the coolant leak on my 07. I dropped the radiator 3 times myself to change hoses, clamps, thermostate. Each time the job get more complicated. Finally, I accepted the fact that some of the leak was coming from the water pump. I learnt thru this forum that if the coolant is coming from the square hole, then it is leaking from the Vee above. If the coolant is leaking from the round hole, then it is coming from the water pump area. I had leaks from both holes.
At the end of last season, I took it into a repair shop to fix or replace everything including the water pump. Now I am a happy rider. The ST is like a new bike.
Kenny

Attachments

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Square hole - leaking hoses and/or thermostat housing above in the vee.

Round hole is the water pump weep hole.

Top Bottom