Armor Do you use Armor, yes or no?

Bike
2005 ST1300
IMG952414.jpgHave on this jacket with full armor on every ride hot or not. Most of the time I have on mesh armored pants as well. I just don't get the "freedom" need that the guys in shorts, flip-flops, and 80mph have to have. I grew up on dirt bikes, pavement scares me.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, we both have full face helmets, boots, gloves & Olympia Hi-Vis jackets. Wife gives me the evil eye if I speak of not wearing the jacket. She says hers adds extra padding against the Givi Top Box. Her gloves have Kevlar and we're still building the gear so looking to get the pants in the near future.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Old Jacket took Armor out (15 year old jacket) did not like the way it felt. Newest Mesh jacket can not take the Armor out so I am having to get used to it. The newer armor is more comfortable.

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
Absolutely. I don't get on the bike unless I'm fully ATGATT. All Motoport with extra armor.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Shamefaced I've to distinguish between urban/commuting and going on actual rides... for the first I utilize either my mesh or the GoreTex jacket (both with shoulder and elbow armor), my full sized Dainese kidney-belt/back protector, decent riding gloves (hands are always the first to make ground contact) and of course a Shoei flip front helmet; on the lower extremities I however wear a pair of jeans and some tough trekking/hiking boots covering my ankles, but again: only for city rides... (well, still a LOT more then most scoot or bike riders can be seen with around here...). On actual rides however (country sides, going abroad) never without my armored GoreTex 2-piece suit including the Daytona riding boots (again often a lot more then can be seen on other riders...). I however seem to have failed to convince my GF to go for proper upper body protection when riding her scoot through the city... she does however not mount as pillion on my ST without her full kit, despite all her moaning and whine...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I wear a Castle jacket with armor, full face helmet, gloves, and boots. Looking for armored pants...

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Armor, don't leave home w/out it. CE armor for elbows, shoulders, chest, hips, knees. CE II full spine protector. CE boots with shin and ankle armor.

Bike
05 ST1300
I had an awful time getting used to armor as well, cumbersome, clumsy, hot, etc. But I got used to it. I love the feeling of knowing that I'm as protected as I can be, cuz this is one thing that you can control if bad stuff happens.

Bike
1991 Honda Goldwing
I think it just takes awhile to get used to. For the longest time I never wore gloves or boots. Now I wouldn't ride without them and they feel very comfortable. I have 2 jackets with armor. One is a little big on me and I dont mind wearing that unless its very hot out. The other one fits true to size and its a bit stiff moving around in it. Maybe it just needs to break in.

Last edited:
Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Same as Smash - armored jacket and pants, boots, gloves, and helmet at all times.

I use the following - all with armor in all the available pockets: Cortech Mesh Jacket; RevIt Mesh pants; Tecknic Textile jacket (non-mesh); and Olympia Ranger pants (non-mesh). With liner options and etc. I have cold, rain, cool, warm, and hot covered. I have substituted FieldForce Armor for the OEM armor for better protection. The FieldForce armor tends to have more flexibility than much of the OEM stuff that offers any real protection. Use a good back "pad' on street, back protector on track. I also wear internal sleeve-over-knee knee pads when I am doing training or track riding (pushing envelope of skill/tire grip), as the integrated knee armor in the pants is not a real close fit to leg, and could rotate and allow knee to directly impact a hard surface. Sidi ventilated summer boots, A-Star waterproof boots (cold and/or long distance wet riding). Depending - I have various gloves from non-padded HD elkskin, Insulated winter textile gloves, some others, up to Scorpion full gauntlet track gloves. I wear an RF-1100 helmet these days.

Is the Aerostich jacket sized properly for you? If it is a size too small, that might create too much constriction under the armor areas. If you bought it new, they have a free exchange program on off-the-shelf products to get the proper size for you (I think). I am actually looking to buy a custom RoadCrafter this winter (not sure if Classic or R3). Spendy, but very nice for commuting and highway riding according to what I read.

Top Bottom