Armor Do you use Armor, yes or no?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Got a Stich Darian jacket. Can't seem to get used to the elbow and shoulder pads.
Always used leather before, with no pads.
How many people use armor, and how many people use the jacket without armor?
Just askin'

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes, absolutely... the armor is 1/2 the protection and a crash is not just about road rash... so much is about the initial impact.

Take your armor out.. put your jacket on and have a friend punch you in the arm as hard as he can...

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I am a user. I won't ride without it anymore! I have enough scars from over the years! I would feel naked without it! When it gets to hot to ride withon. That's when I take the car or the truck.

WilliGoat

Be willing to make decisions.
Bike
2011 C14
STOC #
Yep. Jackets all have elbow, shoulder and back, the A-stars has a couple small chest ones also. Pants depend on which I am wearing, I have Joe Rocket Phoenix with hip and knee pads. I also ride with Cortech DSX denim with only knee pads.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes for jacket and pants. I really need a good pair of warm weather armored gloves, but I have a very hard time finding comfortable, good gloves to fit, so I'm without hand/finger armor. But everywhere else- YES. I don't even notice the armor any more. Not sure whether I have gotten used to it, it matches my body shape better now (broken in), or a combo...its very comfortable.

Jim

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Never seen a reason to take the pads out other than for washing.
Elbo shoulder hip back knee khanuckels wrist.

I have a small chip in my elbo from skating on the pond a zillion years ago every once it a while it still bothers me. That's about the same distance to the ground. Leather is good for the slide but the armour is for the gear up landing.

If the jacket is sized right for you wear it ahwile and give your bod a change to get to know it and for it to break in After a month of riding you should have a "feel" for it. If it doesn't work for you maybe you can get some of the armor that is soft and hardens on impact.

Bike
'06 ST1300
yes, in my olympia jacket/pants & helmet. Still looking for some nice gloves though

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
After two crashes, one at 65MPH without proper protection (had fullface helmet, gloves and boots) and wound up with 3rd degree burns on elbows and knees. One time I wished I would have had armor...

The other at a lower speed (30mph), but I WAS ATGATT! :clap2: Some bruising and that, but no road rash! :hat1:

YES I ride with the armor in! :D

Bike
02 ST1100
Absolutely, ATGATT (with good quality gear). I added the optional back and hip armour to my Stich Roadcrafter one piece suit.

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Yes for jacket and pants. I really need a good pair of warm weather armored gloves, but I have a very hard time finding comfortable, good gloves to fit, so I'm without hand/finger armor. But everywhere else- YES. I don't even notice the armor any more. Not sure whether I have gotten used to it, it matches my body shape better now (broken in), or a combo...its very comfortable.

Jim
I would highly recommend the HELD Air Streams. They stay very cool in hot weather and I have personally tested the armour. I bought the grey since lighter color helps them stay cool. Still wearing pair from my get off last summer. Bought a second pair just for when i wear out the first pair...These are very high quality gloves so I'm probably set up for the next 20 years.

http://www.heldusa.com/airstream.html

And, Yes I wear armour.

Top Bottom