Armor Do you use Armor, yes or no?

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Helmet always, Rocket mesh jacket with armor always, gloves sometimes (always gloves, just not necessarily armored), denim below for now (no riding pants) pulled over military leather boots

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
If I'm riding, I'm wearing my ATGATT. Working in a Trauma Center allows me to see what happens when a rider wasn't wearing armor. It's not pretty and is extremely painful.

Bike
04 ST1300
Yes ATGATT all the time and i dont have the luxury of winter or cooler weather cos i live in the tropics, I sweat a lot so i use mesh armour, but i sweat a lot. In situation of city traffic i sweat all the way.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Absolutely yes.
Both jacket and riding pants with armor.
I've gone down on a bike twice with the armored jacket and pants on and both times felt no more than you would feel if you gently tumbled on an wrestling mat.
The second time that happened my jacket sleeve was shredded from the wrist up to the collar yet I still didn't feel hardly anything due to the armor.
I also used to wear leather. Leather is best for just sliding/road rash, the current crop of textile garments is a very good second, but the armor in any of this is a must. I don't even notice it much now (I did notice it when I started with the armor).

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have the Darain jacket as well as the Roadcrafter. I would not ever take out the pads (except to wash). The Jacket doesnt really fit very well with the pads removed... Do you have the correct size??? Maybe it is a size or two to small???

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
Still getting used to the Used Roadcrafter I bought a couple weeks ago, Wouldn't think of taking the Shoulder/Elbow/Kneepads out, still have to try it with the hip and backpads that were sent in the box with new tags still on. I have a feeling once in, they won't come out again unless I need room for an extra layer.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Got a Stich Darian jacket. Can't seem to get used to the elbow and shoulder pads.
Always used leather before, with no pads.
How many people use armor, and how many people use the jacket without armor?
Just askin'
Yes... and then some. I also religiously use a better back protector than the one sold by Aerostich. It's a Bohn back protector made especially for the Aerostich that velcros in place:

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=KC-Aerostich

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My wife and I wear First Gear textile mesh jackets. They came equipped with the dense rubber shoulder/elbow pads. I quickly became accustomed to them, but they really bothered my wife. I ended up replacing her pads with pieces of 3/4 inch dense camping pad foam. Though they may not absorb quite as much energy as the original pads, I figure that it's better than nothing. I've been in touch with First Gear about the new armor technology they call d30. I plan to upgrade our jackets when it's available later this summer. They are going to offer pads made from this new material for their legacy jackets.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Why buy the expensive gear if your going to take the armour out? Just pick up a regular jacket at wally world.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I wear armored jacket all the time (Feel naked without it) Wear armored pants for road trips. I need some boots though.

Top Bottom