Helmets What is the quietest helmet you've ever had?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I searched a little but I'm still compelled to ask. I don't care about price or fit or anything else. I can work all that out for myself. I have only one question for anyone that wants to take the time:
What is the quietest helmet you've ever had? I have a Shark Evoline 2 and it drives me nuts with the noise. Thank you!

Oh, I ride 75% of the time with the windshield way down.

regards,
Mark

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I replaced my Arai QII with a RF1000. The Shoei is much quieter than my Arai. I ride with my shield all the way down most of the time. I always wear earplugs or earbuds too.
Never tried the new Shoei Qwest, but have heard good things about it.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I don't care about price or fit or anything else.
Some helmets are probably more quieter than others because of their design characteristics but regardless of which helmet you wind up with it is probably safe to say that proper fit can be a big variable in how quiet a helmet is or isn't.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Schuberth quietest flip up helmet Shoei RF1000 quietest full face that I have experience with. I always wear ear plugs as well.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
The helmet I never wore. Other that that the quietest helmet was a Shoei X11, but any helmet with ventilation will be nosiy.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Shoei Multitech, previously had a Schuberth C2, the Shoei is also by far THE most comfortable......

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
What's quietest for someone else may not be quietest for you. There are lots of variables, and one of the biggest is how the helmet fits your head. So what's quiet on someone with a round head may not be for someone with a more oval head. Someone with a squat head may have a totally different reaction to a helmet than someone with a taller head. A lot of helmet noise comes from air that gets up underneath the helmet, so one that fits you tightly there will probably be better than one that's looser: again, that depends on the shape of your head.

Many people buy helmets based solely on price and style. That means that if it doesn't fit their head shape properly, they buy the next larger size. A helmet that's too large is going to be noisier, because the loose fit will let more air up inside it.

Reacting to FirstPeak, what's most comfortable for someone else might be terrible for you, again because of head shape. If he's got a rounded head, and you've got an oval head, it's unlikely the same helmet will fit you both well.

Check out the helmet review on webbikeworld.com. You'll find a lot of good info on noise, and helmet shape, there.

To answer the original question, probably the 3/4 helmet branded as a Yamaha that I had back in the mid 70s. The quietest full face was probably my original Bell Star. No vents, the shield snapped down with a tight seal, and a smooth egg shape, with no protuberences, wings, slots, or other noise making items.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I haven't found a quietest helmet...I have had only helmets that fit my noggin, and each had/has a different kind of noise. So I wear earplugs or sound isolating earbuds.
:shrug1:

An old Simpson pig snout, back in the 80's. VERY very quiet!
Toss up between a Bell Tour Star and the Simpson Pig Nose!! Both were very quiet. My current helmet is an in-expensive Vega, and it is surprisingly quiet. Not quite as quiet as those others though. Of course, I turn the music up so loud that wind noise isn't a problem!

Bike
2007 st1300
Just got the scorpion EXO 900 with the air collar . So far 1 ride 140 miles starte out at 35 degrees. It impressed me had a HJC , Ktm, and troy lee . So far the best

Bike
99 ST1100
+1 on the fit! It just seems the better the helmet fits YOU the quieter it is.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have an HJC,(new) fits great, no problems, but you diffenitly will wear ear plugs!!

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
The deeper the ear plugs get pushed in the quieter the helmet. Just be sure to keep the tweezers handy.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I always wear earplugs too.

That said, the Shoei Z-11 is the helmet that makes the least amount of noise through my earplugs, of the ones that I've owned.

Also, it's been my observation that modular helmets are always noisier than good ol' full-face.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
By far, the quietest helmet I ever had was an RF800 Shoei. I went from it to an RF1000, and noticed it was significantly noisier than the 800.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Schuberth S-1 is the qietest I've experienced ... and I leave the windshiled all the way down unless it's raining. I haven't tried the flip-up Schuberths, but I got good deals on both S-1 helmets I have ... was a close-out sale here in the USA before Schuberth re-enterd our market.

Top Bottom