Helmets What is the quietest helmet you've ever had?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
After a season with my Shoei GT Air I am very satisfied. I have become used to wearing foam earplugs though. The sound quality I get with my Sena SMH 10 with UClear speakers is spectacular and has too much bass (believe it or not). I do run a small amp in line from the Sena to the UClear speakers but the ear plugs filter out the high pitch tones and make the ride fantastic. The air flow is Ok but no better than my Bell Qualifier DLX. The comfort is out of this world. I can wear the helmet all day and not get fatigued and there are no pressure points. The internal sun shade is wonderful and I can't imagine getting another helmet without it. When I find a decent price on another Shoei GT or Neotech I will pick it up for my wife to replace her Shoei Quest.

Ride Safe.
I too have an SMH10. Which UClear speakers do you use? How do you get an amp between the speakers and the Sena?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I bought the UClear HD speakers with a 3.5mm plug and bought the SMH10 mount that allows for plugging in ear buds (about $35). I picked up a FiiO amp and plugged it in to the SMH10 and the speakers into the output of the amp. I did reinforce the speaker wire where it attaches to the plug as it felt like a point of failure waiting to happen. This little amp works well enough, especially for the price (about $20.00) has a real some really basic equalizer presets that are easy to change while on the move. I actually use the setting that enhances the treble. All in all it works very well. I do have a concern about moisture/rain getting into the open charging port. If necessary, I can pull it off and stow it while my bucket is on my head because I have it attached to the helmet with outdoor velcro. I am able to get about 3 hours with foam ear plugs in before they start hurting but I'm getting used to them and benefits of a far more comfortable ride and AWESOME music sound is well worth it. 10 minutes at the gas station during a fill up with the ear plugs out and I'm set to go for another 3 hours. This bucket is really comfortable and quiet.

Ride Safe.

Attachments

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that amplifier info cwenten. Sounds like the amplifier needs to be charged? I was wondering how it was powered.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Paulcb:

It is powered by an internal (I assume) lithium ion battery. I'll get 5-6 hours out of it before needing to recharge. It comes with a usb charging cable that can be used with a computer or appropriate wall charger adapter. I use my IPhone 6 "cube" to charge it.

Ride Safe.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Is there a brand name for this amplifier ?? Just wanted to check it out. I assume it is not helmet mounted,,,, Cat'

Paulcb:

It is powered by an internal (I assume) lithium ion battery. I'll get 5-6 hours out of it before needing to recharge. It comes with a usb charging cable that can be used with a computer or appropriate wall charger adapter. I use my IPhone 6 "cube" to charge it.

Ride Safe.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Is there a brand name for this amplifier ?? Just wanted to check it out. I assume it is not helmet mounted,,,, Cat'
It's a FiiO amp and it's mounted to his helmet. See his pic above.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Correct, I did mount it to my helmet using "outdoor" velcro. It aint "purdy" but it does work well. The controls are small but functional with the gloves I wear. One thing I forgot to mention was I bought some after market headphone speaker cups ( the black air filled ones) that fit on the UClear speakers in my helmet. I did some playing around with the spacers in the helmet so I could get the speakers right at my ears without pressing on my ears. This further assists in the sound quality. The quiet nature of the helmet and the CLEARVIEW med shield with the GW vent keep things very quiet so I don't have to crank up the volume and don't have to worry about the distortion and "speaker jumping" around. I get really good sound without blowing my ears out.

Ride Safe.

Top Bottom