Helmets What is the quietest helmet you've ever had?

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Sofar my Schuberth C3 is the quietest helmet. I still wear earplugs to bring the winde noise down even further
In some cases getting either a shorter or taller windshield also makes a big difference.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
A "Full Face" tends to be quieter than an "Open Face" or a "Flip-up".

The Schuberth range are the quietest helmets I've ever worn and various reviewers seem to be of the same opinion.

If you go for a Full Face look at the Schuberth S2. They also do a race helmet the Schuberth SR1

If you go for a Flip-up look at the Schuberth C3

They are definitely not cheap!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
My past helmets have been an HJC CL14 and two Arai Quantums. My current lid is a Shoe RF1100. It is the quietest helmet I've ever owned. What I really like about it is its great ventilation, a huge plus down here along the hot, humid gulf coast.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
New Nolan 104 is working for me. I still wear ear-plugs, but I'm kind of a wussy in that way. I like to keep my music loving ears for as long as possible.

Bike
2012 Black ST13
I've always worn Shoei because they fit my round/wide head best. The RF-1100 is quieter than the Multitech I went to for the versatility of a flip face. I just bought a new Neotec because I wanted the built-in dark shield, and because folks said they were quieter. For what it's worth, I can't tell that it's any quieter than the Multitech, and it fits a lot more snugly than the multi did. The need not to carry sun glasses is nice, though.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Used to wear the HJC cl14.. went to the SHOEI Qwest with the scala q2pro(when it feels like working properly) and a Boosteroo stereo booster, without earplugs. Very quiet, good fit and the music sounds better because you dont have to have the volume all the way up. When I get a call, I raise the windscreen up and nobody knows that I'm on Big Red.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have been on the hunt for a quiet helmet and came across this information; Quiet Ride Helmet

http://quietridehelmets.com/

Has anyone had any experience with this product? I can tell you that the owner, Al, is very prompt to answer any questions that are posed. I am very hesitant to buy any helmet off the internet. I HATE sending things back...Big pain in the butt.

Thanks.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
In addition to the concern about how sweaty the ear cups may make a person is the question of how good is the ventilation. I checked and the stop speakers that come with the helmet can be removed and after market (SENA SMH 10) can be installed. I'm just looking to diminish the noise. Run of the mill ear plugs end up hurting my ears after about 2 hours or I forget to put them back in after a stop and end up pulling over and putting them in...Pain in the *****. I'm replacing the OEM shield with a clearview with the GW vent. I absolutely love riding this bike except for the noise. Granted, I have a Bell Qualifier DLX and that is a stupid noisy helmet to begin with but I tried my brothers RF1200 and really didn't notice that dramatic of a difference...LOVE RIDING HATE THE NOISE!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm on my second Schuberth S1 helmet, and I absolutely love how quiet they've been in comparison to the many other helmets I've owned (been riding since 1973). Add a Pinlock inner-shield, and they're fog-proof, too. The S1 model is no longer available, but Schuberth offers other models, including a modular.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Try the Bose noise cancelling ear buds, work a treat either with a sound system running through or just for quiet mode. Great units but expensive had mine for two years now and wouldn't ride without them, battery life is about 7 hours between charge.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
No Noise ear plugs solved my issue, or at least made it tolerable. At $30/set they are not inexpensive but cheaper than either helmets or hearing aids.

They are comfortable, for me at least, and very effective.

Good luck...

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have not seen these before but I am interested in a much quieter helmet than what my wife and I have. We both currently have the Nolan 104 and what I really like is the fit and the peripheral vision that the helmet provides. What I don't like is that we use the SENA 10s and she gets a lot of wind noise in her helmet and I hear it in mine over the intercom. Part of this is caused by the lack of wind protection on her VFR800. If she leans forward slightly the wind goes away. But for extended periods the leaning forward is not an option.

I am not convinced that noise canceling systems are the cure-all, but they certainly help mitigate the noise. As motorcycle riders we are a finicky bunch. We want helmets that fit well, are light in weight, have good vision view ports, are quiet but we must still hear things, are cool in the summer and warm in the colder temps, some like full face others like modular designs, they must protect our heads in crashes, our glasses must fit without pain and difficulty switching them out from regular to sunglasses and such, etc. the list can go on. But what compromises are we willing to make to get what we each think is a great helmet or other piece of gear.

For me I am still trying to figure that out as I want to try a helmet on, touch it feel it and so on without buying it online then returning it. I spent a year trying on helmets when I traveled for a living. Each town I would go to I would find a dealer that carried helmets I was interested in. At the end of the day I ended up with the Nolan but I was never able to find a dealer that had the helmet that I was really interested in where I could try it on. Yes I could have got the helmet on line and maybe returned it but the hassle is not worth it.

Over the next year I again will start the search for a new helmet. I am on a two year replacement program whether I need one or not.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ok so I found a great deal on a Shoei GT Air. On closeout, full warranty, brand new so I picked it up. Ordinarily I would not have bought a helmet off the internet but I had tried them on a number of times and new my size. I am full on impressed with this bucket! The cheek pads were really tight so I wore it around the house for about 3 hours and it fits perfect. I installed my Sena SMH10 with the Velcro spacers that put the speakers right next to my ear. This helmet is so quiet that I actually can't turn the volume all the way up because it hurts my ears. My last helmet that I only used for one season was a Bell Qualifier DLX. It was so loud that anything over 30mph was painful without earplugs. I was stunned at how noisy it was. This helmet is not only fully comfortable and quiet at 75 mph but I don't need earplugs. I can still hear wind but it is so muffled that I can listen to music and actually understand the words and get some bass. I had been considering splicing in some Sena 20 speakers for better sound quality but it's not necessary any more. I really love the drop down sun shield...Absolutely no distortion. I like this option much better than the auto darkening shield on my Bell because I have the option of having a darker shield or not. The airflow is fantastic but the shield does fog quickly so I've got to install the (included with the helmet) pinlock. I can not wait for it to get warmer so I can get some more miles on. Darn winter is WAY too long already.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I guess "quiet is in the ears of the beholder". I've used a Shoei RF1100 and a Neotec and I find the Neotec MUCH noisier. OTOH, I've used the helmets on four bikes (St1300, 1200RT and two 1200GS's) so bike may have something to do with it. Still, the noise is not enough to make me go back to the RF1100...I LOVE the design and functionality of the Neotec.

Top Bottom