Kaoko throttle lock installation

Instructions say this is a 15 minute installation. Five days later and I still can't remove the handle bar insert. Instructions say to use two small screwdrivers to pry the spring tabs together and simultaneously pull out the handle bar insert. I can't get it to move.
Does anyone have any advise? I'm pretty close to ebaying the Koako and getting a break-away.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If it helps, this is what the clip looks like:

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
It'll all come out in one piece. Here's a photo of the whole assembly.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I clamped a set of vise-grips to the bolt, and used a hammer against them to knock it out (after pressing the internal retaining tabs.) I've heard of others using WD40 to loosen the rubber retainers, and (in extreme instances) a torch. Use of a torch would require removing the throttle tube, but that's a minor problem if you're at that point.

OP
OP
Thanks Roger. No, I don't think I'm at the point of using a torch. Worse case, I'll sell the Kaoko and get a breakaway. I do like the operation and the look of the Kaoko better tho'.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
It's been a while since I installed mine, but I think that the bolt (tighten with an allen wrench) expands something inside the bar. Someone will correct me if I'm not remembering correctly. (By the way - it holds just fine.) I do know that you won't need to reinstall the stock assembly inside the bar. Don't give up. It will come out. The last time you try always works. (Like finding things the last place you look.) I believe I may have had a brief chat with the Lord when doing mine, as well.

I ordered one before I spotted this thread... I installed one on my Suzuki Bking and all I had to do was remove the bar ends and install. There was nothing internal to remove. Can you post the instruction sheet. My Kaoko won't ship until the 18th so I have time to cancel. I'm feeling like cancelling is advisable. That piece of metal shown in the picture looks like it might have some value in vibration damping and I don't want to have to remove it from the bars. Am I reading that right?

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
Personally, I wouldn't cancel the order based on that. There are a fair number of Kaoko users here and I don't know of anyone complaining about any additional vibration (mine certainly hasn't caused anything noticeable). The installation is tricky for some, but goes really easy for others. I think it's just the luck of the draw getting that rod removed. Mine was done in less than 10 minutes, but obviously others have struggled for significantly longer trying to get that bar out.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with Chris. It isn't as bad as it sounds. Most people don't have that much of a problem with it, and I think it's the best throttle lock you can get for the ST. By the way, there's a weight on the end of the Kaoko that functions as a vibration damper, just like the stock weight.

OP
OP
I got it out tonight and it is literally a 5 minute installation the rest of the way. The throttle lock seems to work very well. I did what Roger suggested - you'll need an assistant. Take the end weight off, then thread the bolt back in part ways. Clamp a vise grip on the end of the bolt. Squeeze the tabs together with two small screwdrivers and then get your assistant to hammer out on the vise grip. It takes quite a solid whack to get it out of there. Good luck.

In this case "Don't use force - get a bigger hammer." is correct.

If it helps, this is what the clip looks like:

On mine the tabs on the bottom of the picture turned 'out' are facing towards the bar end weight, meaning the little triangular tabs at the top of the ring are inside the handlebars. So, if you slide a screwdriver over the top of the 'outside tabs' it runs under the pointed part of the triangular tab. So, I don't understand how the pointy tabs can be released with a screwdriver?

Thanks,

S

On mine the tabs on the bottom of the picture turned 'out' are facing towards the bar end weight, meaning the little triangular tabs at the top of the ring are inside the handlebars. So, if you slide a screwdriver over the top of the 'outside tabs' it runs under the pointed part of the triangular tab. So, I don't understand how the pointy tabs can be released with a screwdriver?

Thanks,

S
Persistence pays. The screwdrivers have to be inserted at an angle (green arrows show where to insert and line shows path). Pound them in as far as they will go. The orange arrow is pointing at a rubber grommet that compresses as the screwdrivers are driven in. This is what allows the triangular tabs to move out of their sockets and release the tube assembly. I had to hold the socket machine screw with pliers and whack it good with a hammer to get the assembly out. Easy when you know how, right?Bar end insert removed.jpg

Top Bottom