Article [13] ST1300 - Faring Deflector Inspection Cover fix

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have seen several members here that have lost their inspection covers along with the deflector cover. You can replace the inspection cover easy through Honda but try to buy just the deflector cover for this. Good luck as Honda wants to sell you a complete replacement deflector set at a very high price.
Mike
This is EXACTLY what happened to me last week. Lost both..Replaced the inspection cover (on the way) but I still don't know what I will do for the wind deflector piece. I would appreciate any ideas in that regard.

But you should definately do something like this to provide extra strength.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Guy, if you do it can I ride up and do mine too??
I will probably do this in winter. I start making a list and as the summer goes on my list gets pretty long. Then late summer and fall I start to purchase the things I will need and prioritize the order to do them and some even get left for the next year..

Yeah. I sound real organized don't I!!! LOL.. But this is more of a winter project!! Nothing I cant live without and it isn't a Safety Issue!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I will probably do this in winter. I start making a list and as the summer goes on my list gets pretty long. Then late summer and fall I start to purchase the things I will need and prioritize the order to do them and some even get left for the next year..

Yeah. I sound real organized don't I!!! LOL.. But this is more of a winter project!! Nothing I cant live without and it isn't a Safety Issue!
I may do mine sooner. Right now they're off and I could feel the heat the other day. And the good news is all the plastic can stay on for this one.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Did this using some misc metal around the garage, VERY nice, thanks Mike for the idea and pictures.

Mike, I was totally lost until your last post... the picture of the deflector and the nut and bolt resolved my puzzled look! I am installing the deflector set this weekend and will adopt these ideas now. This is a stupid question...but, do you remove the actual maintenance cover permanently and replace it with the deflector cover or does the deflector cover ride on top of the maintenance cover. I didn't understand that from the instructions. Thanks, Jerry

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike, I was totally lost until your last post... the picture of the deflector and the nut and bolt resolved my puzzled look! I am installing the deflector set this weekend and will adopt these ideas now. This is a stupid question...but, do you remove the actual maintenance cover permanently and replace it with the deflector cover or does the deflector cover ride on top of the maintenance cover. I didn't understand that from the instructions. Thanks, Jerry
It rides on top of the maintenance cover. You add some dual lock velcro stuff that helps hold the deflector to the maint cover.
That is it, it goes on top!!

You know I posted that before I went and looked at the bike! After I looked, I felt stupid for asking because there's no way to attach it properly without the maintenance cover in place.... Thanks anyway guys. I'm going to have to check with my Honda Stealer for that nut and bolt. I might as well do this right. Thanks!

Mike, how does the little nut in this picture hold itself in position so you can put the screw in? I mean, how do you hold it in place... is this a clip mechanism you were referring to? Also, is this a Honda part as it shows in the picture or Suzuki? I'm confused because it looked like there was a discussion on another part of the bike that you guys were trying to secure as well as this maintenance cover. Thanks once again! Jerry

i.e. do I need both the honda part and the suzuki part to secure the maintenance cover with the deflector cover over the maintenance cover....???

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike, how does the little nut in this picture hold itself in position so you can put the screw in? I mean, how do you hold it in place... is this a clip mechanism you were referring to? Also, is this a Honda part as it shows in the picture or Suzuki? I'm confused because it looked like there was a discussion on another part of the bike that you guys were trying to secure as well as this maintenance cover. Thanks once again! Jerry
i.e. do I need both the honda part and the suzuki part to secure the maintenance cover with the deflector cover over the maintenance cover....???
One part is a Suzuki screw and the other nut is a Honda part.

The nut just slides onto the plastic as it is "U" shaped. There are other bolts that would work but I think this combo looks the best. Good luck.

Bike
FJR1300
I agree will everyone--great idea. However, my problem is with my heavy duty DeWalt 1/2" drill. The inspection panel area gap is way too small for my drill. I cannot seem to get a straight-inline shot in the deflector that's attached to the body. The dowel will end up kicking out in one direction or the other; to the top, the bottom or out, even if I drill the hole near the outside point of the "v", I stall can't get a straight shot as the hole would still point the dowel outward. And to hell if I'm going pull-off the deflector from the body and re-tape it afterwards--No.Way. So does everyone here have Fischer Price baby-sized drills?

When drilling both holes for the dowel, would trying to match the angle of the hole coming from the body-deflector into the inspector-panel-deflector piece, be worth the calculation? Does it matter what angle the dowel is at as long as it is connecting the two deflector segments? Did anyone else run into this issue at all? Am I nuts and over thinking this? don't answer that one.
:nuts1:

Top Bottom