Article [13] ST1300 - Faring Deflector Inspection Cover fix

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I do actually. My gf's ex wanted me to order one for him. Now he doesn't want it. Go figure. ;-)

If I can find it... give me a day or two...
Sweeeeet! :headbang:Thanks T_C. I'll be waiting for your post or PM. Hope you can find it.

Skip

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
T_C has saved the farkling day! His screw has matched. Not sure if Suzuki will continue to make these anymore. 9 out of 10 places I spoke with don't have it, can't get it or if they do have it they have 1 or 2 and want to charge $5-7 for shipping a .99 item. Anyway, thank you Thomas for having it and shipping it. I look forward to meeting you at a STOC event sometime where you will be rewarded with beer or a burger or both!

Skip

I have seen several members here that have lost their inspection covers along with the deflector cover. You can replace the inspection cover easy through Honda but try to buy just the deflector cover for this. Good luck as Honda wants to sell you a complete replacement deflector set at a very high price.
Nice mod Mike.

Wonder if these small deflectors would be 3D printable ?

corky51

loST
Bike
07 ST1300
I have installed the Honda Faring deflectors on my ST 1300. They work great and keep the heat off of you and they also look very nice IMHO!

I had a problem with one of my inspection covers on the right side as it started coming loose on the top of the deflector. This happened when I was using my ST on a Fire break road in Yosemite. I won't go into that story here.

I have seen several members here that have lost their inspection covers along with the deflector cover. You can replace the inspection cover easy through Honda but try to buy just the deflector cover for this. Good luck as Honda wants to sell you a complete replacement deflector set at a very high price.

Well here is an easy fix to secure your faring deflector covers along with your inspection cover. It is about a 10 minute fix after you have the parts.

Parts needed are 2 metal dowels about 1 1/2" long, the thickness should be about 9/64 to 3/16. The ones that I have installed are tapered 3/16 to 9/64. You do not need to get the tapered ones but I think that they work better than the same size dowels. I got my dowels at the local Ace Hardware store and you should find them at any hardware or auto parts store.

Tools needed are a drill and 9/64 drill bit.

I drilled the faring deflector cover first in the middle of the "V" section seen here

I then drilled the "V" section on the faring deflector on the bike as seen here

You can then reinstall the Inspection covers with the improved deflector covers and they will be nice and secure with the plastic pin installed at the bottom.

I hope this helps out anyone with the deflectors and I would recommend this fix even for new deflectors as they are a lot stronger this way.

Mike
Incredible simple remedy to apparently common problem. Mine will be done when my parts from partzilla arrive. Thanks.

Just about to fit a new fairing deflector kit to my recently bought A9 ST1300. I will do the dowel fix before I attach the kit to the fairing so many thanks for the idea and the info about the fixings.
I also have an older 2002 ST1300 which is going to be replaced by the newer bike. This had the mirror deflection kit as well as the fairing deflection kit. The mirror kit is now impossible to locate so I removed that from the 2002 bike to put on the new bike. Removing the fairing deflection kit off the old bike looked as if it would be more of a job than removing the mirror kit so I thought I would treat myself to a new one (£170 from Honda). Having read this thread I am wondering if I should take the old kit off the older bike (which I plan to sell) and keep it as a spare!. What do you think?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just about to fit a new fairing deflector kit to my recently bought A9 ST1300. I will do the dowel fix before I attach the kit to the fairing so many thanks for the idea and the info about the fixings.
I also have an older 2002 ST1300 which is going to be replaced by the newer bike. This had the mirror deflection kit as well as the fairing deflection kit. The mirror kit is now impossible to locate so I removed that from the 2002 bike to put on the new bike. Removing the fairing deflection kit off the old bike looked as if it would be more of a job than removing the mirror kit so I thought I would treat myself to a new one (£170 from Honda). Having read this thread I am wondering if I should take the old kit off the older bike (which I plan to sell) and keep it as a spare!. What do you think?
I would hang on to them as they are getting so hard to find now.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Incredible simple remedy to apparently common problem. Mine will be done when my parts from partzilla arrive. Thanks.
You will never have a problem if you make sure the retainer rivet is not broken, is inserted all the way in, and clicked in place.

That’s an even simpler solution.

Top Bottom