Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police profiling of motorcyclists announced in Nanaimo BC this week

My Gallery

Police profiling of motorcyclists announced in Nanaimo BC this week

Hello ST family, please take a minute to read this, we need your input and advice.

For those on facebook, I am asking for your help to bring awareness to a very serious problem of Police Profiling that has been announced this week in Nanaimo British Columbia. You can read all about it here on the Facebook page that has been created to bring awareness to this concern.

I have written the mayor, as well as my local government officials, and will post a copy of the letter here.

I would really like your input on this matter, and if you are on face book I ask that you please join the page, and send an invite to all of your friends who would also be appalled at Police Profiling.

Washington state has just gone through this, so we know there are those out there with the experience to help us fight this.

Please, we need your help.

OP

Open letter to the Mayor of Nanaimo. The city of Nanaimo contracts their policing from the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police).

Dear Mayor Ruttan.

I am writing to express my deep displeasure of the newly announced RCMP plan to target the motorcycling community in and around your city.

As a member of a family who enjoys the sport of motorcycling, we have travelled to your city many times to participate in many rides for charity. We would stay in your hotels, eat at your restaurants, and shop in your stores when we were there for the rides.

We are law abiding citizens who enjoy the sport of motorcycling. We are not members of a motorcycle club, we are not gang members, we are not rabble rousers or trouble makers. We are working professionals who happen to enjoy motorcycling, and find ourselves painted with the same brush that the RCMP wishes to tar a certain segment of the population.

As your city employs the RCMP as your local police force, we find ourselves at odds with the decisions made by them and by default your town council and leadership.

As such, we, as well as many of our local clubs and riding organizations have no choice but to boycott the City of Nanaimo and all their respective merchants, hotels, restaurants and other establishments. Nanaimo appears to have taken on an unfriendly attitude towards those of us who enjoy the sport of motorcycling, so why would any of us choose your city to host or participate in any event in your city.

Please note that we are not against enforcing existing rules and regulation regarding motorcycles, or the operation of any motor vehicle. We are not against enforcement of any action against someone who operates ANY motor vehicle contrary to the existing vehicle code.

What we are protesting is the obvious profiling of motorcyclists by your police force, the RCMP, and their obvious unfriendly attitude as portrayed in the coverage given to them by local television stations reporting on the newly announced enforcement plans. This certainly does not appear to be a "safety campaign" of any type. There was absolutely no mention of raising public awareness of motorcycling, reducing the risk to those who choose to ride. Remember that the MAJORITY of accidents involving motorcyclists occur when someone turns left in front of an approaching motorcycle and the motorcyclist is the VICTIM.

Unless changes are publicly announced by yourself, your council and the RCMP, we as the citizens of this island have no choice but relocate our events to a more friendly city. This will include "voting with our dollars" which will obviously have an impact on your local business, as well as the general opinion of your city to those not even involved in the sport of motorcycling.

We look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Peter and Miriam Lambert,
    Sooke, British Columbia.

› Site Search for: Police profiling of motorcyclists announced in Nanaimo BC this week

Re: Police profiling of motorcyclists announced in Nanaimo BC this week

Try this group. http://roadriders.org/ We just had an anti-profiling bill passed, maybe they can help with some sage advice.

I've visited BC (Nanaimo many times), only to get off the ferry to head up island for kayaking trips, and get the feeling there is a different relationship between cops and citizens north of the border. Can't put my finger on it, but I did have to deal with a RCMP roadblock just outside Port Hardy (twice) a few years ago. I've never experienced any roadblocks down here, does law enforcement have special powers in Canada? Making you at the mercy of some constipated city council?

Bike
    '03 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Pete,

Be interested in seeing what kind of response you get. Love your part of the country. Maggie and I enjoyed a long weekend on the bikes a few years back and stayed at the Sooke Harbour House. Had a wonderful stay!

John

"Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are." - Author Unknown

Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

What profile rider are they targeting? Whats the profile? Maybe law enforcement know more then the public ? Are they interested in one segment of riders? Sometimes if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck it just might be one. What are they really looking for?

Yeah, it's snowing again. BakerBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Pete, I wonder the same thing as Gene. I applaud your taking calm and courteous manner in reply to the Mayor and city...and I hope they hear.

As I read the above letter, I thought it would be appropriate to avoid the use of 'sport of motorcycling' ... if the profiling is due to percieved bad behaviors, then 'sport' may reinforce their resolve. Perhaps shifting the emphasis from 'sport of motorcycling' to tourist, vacationer, or hobbyist (that use motorcycles as their vehicle) would paint a better picture of the implications.
    John - 2004 ST1300A

Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I must admit I am of two minds when it comes to this announcement. On one hand I don't want to be picked on just because I drive a motorcycle, but on the other hand I don't like loud pipes and inconsiderate bikers.

The Victoria paper did an article on this announcement and the following is a quote from this article:

"As many as 25 per cent of road deaths in Nanaimo last year involved motorcycles, police said. Officers also will check the noise emitted by motorcycle mufflers to ensure they don't exceed the 91-decibel limit."

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Mo...#ixzz1Lo4rvHIN

If their crackdown helps to curb some of the riders that give all of us a bad name, then maybe it will be worth it.

I live just north of Nanaimo and have family that lives there, so I'm there fairly frequently. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Bike
    ST1300
    My Gallery

What does a loud pipe have to do with a motorcycle death? IMO, nothing. If they want to take a stand against loud pipes, fine. There are many bikes and some cars on the road that are completely obnoxious. The safety argument is pure B.S. If there are a lot of bikes frequenting the town, the boycott may be the way to go. Of course, local residents may wish to see those business disappear also. There are many small towns with business districts falling into disrepair. One can only hope, that the home values of the complainers sink as fast as the boarded up Main Street business'.

Tom

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Good luck with your complaint.

Bike
    06 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery
    I lived there for 10 years and rode my yamaha xs1100 year round and never noticed any particular problems for motorcyclists. I did qualify for a couple of performance awards that were awarded with a smile.
    Maybe they're only after a certain type of motorcyclist if you know what I mean.
    The rider gives a bike its soul, not the other way around.

My Gallery

I looked around for news items about this issue and found what seems to be an incomplete line of stories that force one to infer a lot more than the news writers may be willing to talk about and the police are probably unwilling to discuss their real intentions. I saw a video clip that indicates there is an active Hells Angels chapter in the area and that they have an annual ride called 'Zeke's Run' that brings in many other Hells Angels from other chapters.

I suspect these are really the targets of this 'crackdown' and 'profiling' campaign. If they announce it ahead of time and actually do grab a few ATGATT tourist types then they can't be accused by the Angels for misdeeds. Unfortunately the remaining 99% of the riding community will suffer for this.

Do the Articles of Confederation allow this type of program? I know that in many cases the Canadian citizens do not enjoy the broad rights that we Americans enjoy. I'd start into a Plains of Abraham comment, but Joe would probably delete me, eh?

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast