Article [13] ST1300 - Race Tech Fork Gold Valve Installation

Hi folks!

In another thread by wjbertrand someone expressed an interest in some pictures of the Gold Valve install process. Since I was just starting this adventure I grabbed my camera and snapped pictures at key points in the process. The instruction sheets that come with the kit are, IMHO, not clear and complete. Hopefully these pictures, and my amateur explanations and those of Others who might want to chime in, will give you an idea of what is involved if you chose to install this kit.
I'll start at the point where the Damper Cartridge is sitting on the work bench. The process for getting to this point is described in excellent detail in the Honda Service Manual. If you don't have one yet, go get one! :)
Just a few observations about the fork disassembly process:
1. If you have the Heli handlebar extenders on your bike you will have to remove both the handlebars and the Heli plates to get access to the 17mm Allen socket at the top of the fork cap.
2. That 17 mm fork cap is really tight! You will need a wrench (not a ball driver!) that fits real good and something to get some leverage. Sensitive ears should be vacated from the work area before attempting this!:D
3. The 6mm cap screw at the bottom of the shock is also on really tight. Don't try to use a ball driver like I did at first. I'm presently waiting for my replacement bolts to come in from HDL.:eek:: One thread on this forum suggests replacing both the seal and the bolt whenever you touch this. I think I will agree with that!
So. We Begin! Here's the Damper Cartridge.

There is a compression valve that looks just like this new Gold Valve at the end of the tube. Push this in with your finger about an inch and you will see a groove with this cir clip hiding in it. You will need something sharp to get under this clip and work it out. Don't lose it!:D

Now comes the chore of removing the shiny aluminum cap. Even though there is really nothing keeping this from sliding off, it most likely won't. First try threading the 6mm bolt into the compression valve and pull. If you don't end up with the cap, the valve, and a puddle of nasty oil in your hand, it's time to get a bit more insistant. Place the cartridge over a block and use a soft face hammer to tap on the top of the cap. If yours is stuck on like mine was, warming the cap with a heat gun and then tapping did the trick. Once I had it off once it would slip on an off easily. Go figure!

When you get the cap off you will get able to draw out the Honda compression valve.

Push on the damper rod and the rebound valve and rod can be removed from the cartridge tube.

Looking at the end of the damper rod, the nut holding the rebound valve is held on by a heavy peening job on the end of the rod.

This is easily removed with a hand file. Keep going till you can remove the nut.

Sorry about the focus on the next two pictures. What you might have been able to see is that even though you got the nut off, the threads are actually bulged a bit by the peening process.

I used a file and a tap to straighten the threads enough that a thread re-conditioning die could be used to clean this mess up.

Time to get into the Race Tech Kit! I didn't get a picture of the kit before I played with all the pieces. Sorry!:D Below is a picture of how to arrange the parts for the rebound valve. I called Race Tech's support line and the tech I talked to confirmed that this is right. The pieces are packaged in plastic pouches. I found the check plate washer that is next to the spring in the same pouch as the R-19 shim pack, with an extra! So, you will have an extra check plate and a pretty brass nut extra for each damper assembly.

Nice! The forum troll ate my whole last post.:( Lets try this again:D

OK! Time to assemble the valve. This will challenge your manual dexterity a bit so no mid-job pictures!:p:

Assemble the top half of the valve. Make sure the cupped washer fits into the milled recess in the brass valve body and the check plate moves freely. Next install the R19 shim pack consisting of 11 thin spring steel plates. All the parts should be on the smooth portion of the rod bolt with just a little extra. Next install the base plate washer. While holding this together in one hand apply the Red gelled loctite provided in the kit to the Ny-lock nut and sparingly to the bolt threads. A word of caution, hold the rod/valve assembly either horizontal or a little downhill to prevent the loctite from flowing into the Gold Valve assembly. ( yes that happened to me!) While holding the valve assembly together get a wrench to hold the rod and tighten and torque the nut to 30 in-lbs. When tight the threads only partially engage the plastic locking ring on the nut.

Next, Race Tech wants you to polish the damper rod with some 600 grit sandpaper to reduce friction through the top cartridge bushing. it did seem a lot smoother when done. Clean everthing up, it's time to assemble this thing!
Oil the Cartridge tube and damper rod and assemble leaving the rebound valve exposed. Wrap the new packing strip around the valve and apply oil. Those little tabs on the packing are going to need help so put them on top and gently slide this into the tube pushing the ends down and it will go right in. You will also need to help them past the vent holes on the cartridge tube.
Next install the O-ring on the compression valve. This fits into the cartridge tube really tight. I used wheel bearing grease to lube the O-ring and the tube edge and cir-clip groove. Push in as gently as possible. I didn't see any chunks of O-ring sheared off so I think mine survived:D

Push the compression valve far enough in to install the cir-clip into the groove.

Almost done! Reach in with the allen bolt and pull the compression valve out to seat against the cir-clip. Install shiny aluminum cap, it should just slip on.

Your Done!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Race Tech Fork Gold Valve Installation

Great pics and tutorial,
I just got the proper Race Tech kit and am ready to build my forks. After dealing with another distributor who sent the wrong kit, Race tech set it right and in record time, Big thanks to Louie!!!! Their customer service is above and beyond. I hope to have my forks back together this Saturday. I just can not wait to test them out, after the bike has been in the garage for a week. Your pics and directions were spot on and took the guess work out of the process. Due to my weight and I ride 2 up I went with the 1.2 Sonic Springs and must decide to keep the R/T factory setting or go softer on the shim pack. Any input will be helpful.

Gary

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I missed this, great post. I moved it to the Article Repository section.

OP
OP
Re: Race Tech Fork Gold Valve Installation

Hey Gary, glad you found the pictures useful. As to the shim selection, I'm a 225lb rider and ride by myself. The supplied R-19 shim pack doesn't feel overly harsh to me. However, if you want to go "softer" You won't need to buy another shim pack. If you look at the valving chart reference tables in the instructions, the softer valving can be achieved by reducing the number of the .15 X 17 sized shims that you already have.
I think the spring preload setting, oil selection, and fill hight will have a larger impact as to how harsh your suspension will be. Check out the discussions in the suspension threads in the ST1300 tech section where this has been discussed at length. I ended up taking the easy way out and copied another's working setup. Happy experimenting :p:
I think you will like the changes that the new springs and valves bring to you bike. Happy riding :D

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
AKSTeve

I completed the install and went with stock race tech valveing and could not be more pleased with the change in the ride. Plus the new springs hold the front end at the proper height with optimal sag. I feel the front end is now easy to move and the bike seems lighter on her feet when pushed around. I see now what I was missing and will enjoy my test ride today.

Gary

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Be aware there is a conversion error on the fork oil level from inches to mm in the Race Tech instructions. I can't remember the actual numbers but if you are going to use mm to measure the oil level, do the conversion from inches (assuming that's correct) to mm yourself: 25.4mm/inch.

Still loving my Race Tech suspension and for some reason, it works even better with the PR3 tires compared to the PR2s. The PR3s seem to have better ride qualities than the PR2

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
I grabbed my camera and snapped pictures at key points in the process
Hey, thanks for the pix of your install. I used your post to accomplish my upgrade today. However... I am a little concerned. After installing the Gold Valve and new RT springs, the bike feels like it has more dive than before. She seems to have better grip and better shock absorbtion. Not knowing anything about motorcycle suspension, I had anticpated a more rigid front end under hard braking; in fact, she now dives harder, albeit smoother. I am wondering if I did something wrong or if I merely misjudged the workings of the new system.

I did pump the forks before and after the rebuild, and they are definitely stiffer post upgrade.

Do you remember your first ride with the new valves? Does it sound like I have a problem, or some normal?

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
Do you remember your first ride with the new valves?
Hi Mark,

My suspension is firmer than stock due to the heavier springs I used. This is a list of parts and setup that was used on mine:

1.2 Sonic Springs
Race Tech Gold Valve Kit, standard valve shim setup
130 mm fill level of 5w fork oil. I used Lucas since it was locally available
17 mm spring preload

The 1.2 Sonic Springs that many of us used are much stiffer than the Race Tech springs. Depending on how much you weigh, perhaps you have too light of springs.

Oil fill level will also affect this. The higher the oil level, the less trapped air there will be in your shock making the shock stiffer.

Have you measured the front suspension sag? Mine is around 33mm. I think the target is between 30 - 40 mm. If sag is excessive adding more spring preload is needed.

Here's another possibility. While doing my initial research I found this YouTube video from the folks at Traxxion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6NqdFp5cI

Once you can look past this guys attitude, He is actually showing us something useful. If the valves are not assembled correctly the valve will bypass and not give you any damping effect. The shim washers should be tight against the brass valve body and there should be no movement. Also if the O-ring on the compression valve was damaged when being inserted in the bottom of the damper assembly that would cause bypass.

Just some random thoughts. :D

OP
OP
AKSTeve

I completed the install and went with stock race tech valveing and could not be more pleased with the change in the ride. Plus the new springs hold the front end at the proper height with optimal sag. I feel the front end is now easy to move and the bike seems lighter on her feet when pushed around. I see now what I was missing and will enjoy my test ride today.

Gary
The "Dark Side" of fixing up the front suspension like this is that it makes the deficiencies in the rear shock more noticeable. :p:

During the Winter lay-up, that in my case starts in two to three weeks, I'm going to look into either the Race Tech rebuild or the Penske shock.

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
Steve,

Yep, I saw that video a couple weeks ago, and it actually made me feel better. What not to do is almost as important as what to do. I agree that some folks should not work on their own forks. Having said that, I've many years at rebuilding hydraulic cylinders, albeit them much larger and significantly greater pressure (think recoil/counter recoil systems on U.S. Navy shipboard gun mounts).

I went with the RT standard setup (R19/C32), 110mm of fluid and new springs, sized for my weight. Everything was assembled correctly, and I torque'd everything to the correct spec. Once I was finished with the rebuild, I noticed a significant difference in trying to compress the rebuilt forks; I also noticed the bike sits a touch higher than before, though I have not measured and adjusted for sag.

I am curious about your fork spring preload. My instructions mentioned nothing about preload in either the gold valve kit nor the box the springs came in. If you don't mind, how did you deteremine 17mm, and how many shim washers did you use? I see your using Sonic springs, so perhaps that is a mute point since I went with the RT springs...

I'm not certain that I have a problem; it's more that I had expected significantly less dive once the rebuild was complete. She has a much better feel, and seems to handle bumps and irregularities much better.

Mark

OP
OP
Hey Mark,

Actually, that video was aimed at people like Me. :D I don't mind launching into projects and learning as I go.

I also looked at Race Tech springs when I was starting this project. Using their spring rate calculator I would need a .92kg spring.

Using Sonic Springs Calculator:
http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php?osCsid=f72992ad8e8ef83b0e7b4d576c9c1f6f

At my weight, bike weight, and aggressive street riding style it recommends 1.2 kg springs. This is also the spring that many on this forum have used to correct the soft stock suspension.

As to how I arrived at 17mm of spring preload, that was the most I could use and still get a wrench on the small jam nut at the bottom of the fork cap. By pure luck I achieved the suspension sag I was aiming for.

Sonic uses a grey PVC conduit that you cut as a spacer that goes on top of the spring. This spacer is cut so that the spring is compressed a certain amount when the fork cap is installed. Sonic recommends starting at 1/2 inch and adjusting this until you achieve the desired "sag". This would require removing the fork caps every time you want to try a different spacer length. It's better to hit it right the first time! :p:

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
I blew an internal seal leaving the drive way, confirming my fear that something is amiss. I believe that I lost the oring on the compression valve on the left fork, as there was a definitive pop, and now the bike wants to hobby-horse. I parked her, and will be calling RT first thing Monday morning. I hope I can re-use the fork oil. I say left side because the o-ring seem to have a hard time getting past the holes.

I don't believe I've missed anything, but the o-rings fit very tight, and they seem to be the most suseptable point of comprimise in the entire project.

OP
OP
Wow Mark,that really sucks! Thats a lot of work getting back in there to check that.

I'm just thinking of other things that could make an audible pop. Could one of the spring coils have broken? That can be checked by just removing the fork caps.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Hi Steve, thanks for posting this article it is proving to be a great resource, a fellow STer and myself will be upgrading our ST1300 front suspension next weekend, we have the RT springs (0.95) gold valves and cap kits and have been familiarising yourselves with the task in hand, once again your post has been a big help. I think we now have a good understand of the process but I do have a few questions, more out of curiosity then anything else.

Does the fork socket bolt located in the bottom of the fork leg screw through into the base valve ? If it does, what stops the valve from spinning in the cartridge?
A. It does screw into the compression valve and yes it can spin in the cartridge but this was not a problem on tear down or rebuild.

Above the spring where the RT supplied pre load spacer is fitted I assume the black plastic washer should be at the bottom of the spacer tube? ( I'm amazed that thin tube can take the load but I guess it has no space to collapse into!)
A. Yep, black plastic washer down, it has too, as the adjustable cap spacer locates onto the bare tube above

The RT supplied nut that comes with the cap I assume that goes onto the damping rod first, flange down and once the cap is screwed on the nut is used to lock the cap on
A. This is the Jam Nut and it goes the other way than I thought, flange upper most against the cap

Thanks for making our suspension upgrade a success, I would have spent a long time in the phone to RT without your guide! Cheers

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Yesterday was the big day for the front end upgrade, myself and Jeff who also has an 2005 stripped down the front end of both bikes and fitted gold valves springs and adjustable caps. It's challenging work but research, primarily on this forum and patience paid off. Here are some of our findings so far :

We loosened off Honda's caps with the forks in the bike, top pinch bolts undone, mine were very tight

We loosened the fork leg bottom bolt before removing the cap to keep pressure on the cartridge bottom and stop it spinning, then just nicked it back up to stop the oil leaking till we were ready to remove the cartridge

There is a seemingly endless supply of old oil draining from the forks during the tear down, its trapped in every component, be prepared with plenty of shop towels.

There was very little stock preload set, no danger of the cap flying off, one hand pushing down on the cap whilst unscrewing was fine

We applied a heat gun to the cartridge oil lock sleeve and removed it by tapping with a block of wood, like others we found they slide back on no bother.

The removal of Honda's compression valve from the bottom of one of the cartridge was really tough, we resorted to threading a long bolt into the valve and slide hammering it out, once removed the RT valve was a perfect fit, go figure. The other three were easy, maybe the cartridge end tube was a little oval and our removal remodelled it back to round, that's what I like to think.

We went a little crazy marking out the 4 drill holes on the compression leg we wound electrical tape around the cartridge to get the circumference, removed the tape and with it flat marked the 4 divisions then returned the tape to the cartridge 10 mm down and punched by the tape marks.Removing all the swarf from the inside of the new holes was a PITB, we used small round files. There is a plastic bush inside the top of the cartridge I scuffed mine with the file, something else to look out for.

RT supplies a pair of custom jaws to grip the dampening rod and remove the Honda valve, cleaning rod and jaws with solvent and clamp firmly in a drill press vice held it sufficiently

The needle valves actuated by the adjustable caps are a snug fit, lubricate with fork oil, push hard and wiggle!

A length of 2 inch PVC pipe (about 10") with a straight coupler solvent welded to one end worked great for setting the new fork bushing (pipe end) and fork seal (coupler end)

When removing the old fork seal put a notch on the top surface with a craft knife to mark the top and indicate its old, with lots of seals on the bench both old and new we had a brief moment of confusion, Jeff had his marked but I had not. The seals are also tricky to determine top from bottom, the top has a slight chamfer on the top outer edge, again marking the old seal top makes it easy

Replacing the fork seal I used the plastic bag trick, Jeff the plastic strip wrap, to slide the seal down without touching the fork leg, both methods worked fine.

With just one washer above and below the RT spring we have 23mm of preload on all fork legs, we should have 15mm, RT say the spacer tube should be the correct length so before shortening it I'll be confirming with RT tomorrow

Like others we have lots of spare spacer washers leftover, we had two separate sets each, one set slightly larger than the other, I'll also be asking RT whether they are for different uses/placement

Update

RT said if we have 23mm that's great, the target is 25mm, I asked 'so the documentation is wrong?', the response was 'you're good to go', after a little more research it appears most settle for more preload than 15mm so I'm leave it at 23mm and see what sag results once the bike is back on the ground. The story on the washers was to use whatever I think best, my choice is larger beneath the spring, smaller above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom