Michelin PR2 tire pressure?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: pilot road 2 michelin tire pressure?

I like my PR2 front at 38 psi & the rear at 40. I weigh 150ish and ride solo. If on a trip and carrying gear for a few days out I'll run 40 front and 42 rear. 33 seems too low for me.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

I run 42psi regardless of the brand. It's what Mother Honda recommends, plus it works.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

I go 42 as well. I weigh in at 265.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

43 front and 44 rear. I'll probably try 45 rear on the set I'm putting on next.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

M&M Take2;1276051 said:
I run 42psi regardless of the brand. It's what Mother Honda recommends, plus it works.
+1

43 front and 44 rear. I'll probably try 45 rear on the set I'm putting on next.
I don't think it's a good idea to use a cold pressure above the maximum indicated on the side wall.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Well I guess I'm not needed. haha 40 to 42 psi is what will work best.
Tim, I thought you said to run higher pressure in the rear to avoid cupping on the sides. I know 970mike runs 45 in the rear.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

As you can tell, lots of opinions. I say opinions because other than what is recommended by Honda, I don't think there is any data for our specific application. It's hard to tell someone to do other than what the MFG recommends but I am seeing a benefit to increased air pressure as far as mileage and wear pattern go on the PR2 rear. I'm right with 970mike at 45 psi and I'm probably bumping twice the weight of Mike. There is almost no scalloping on my rear with 7500 miles on it.

Has anyone using a PR2 ever wore it down to the cords? Was the cords showing in the very center or the side(s)? I think that would be grounds for what to do with the air pressure. If it wore to cords in the middle first - too much air pressure, if it wore to cords on the outer part of the tread I'd boost air pressure a bit. Just my opinion, of course.

Byron

STOC #

michelin say 33 psi. I am just wondering what people are running and why?

thanks in advance, cheers.
Curious where you found the info from Michelin as to the tire pressure because I've not been able to find it?

Also, which bike and which tire?

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!

Tim, I thought you said to run higher pressure in the rear to avoid cupping on the sides. I know 970mike runs 45 in the rear.
If you are having cupping issues then I would bump to 45. I ran a steady 42 front and rear, never had any cupping issues. My first was smooth all the way across. I really didn't have any flat spot issues. Second go round on next tire. It was going to be smooth.

Remember guys lots of different things can go on. Mileage on bike, suspension, temp, wet/dry, road surface, concrete/asphalt, what part of the country you are in, rider weight, lots of variables here.

The other thing I like to tell people is every now and then McDonalds burns a hamburger. Tire manu's can't get it right everytime, they are going to overcook/undercook one sometimes.

Lots of other factors go into this also. How long it is "cooked", chemicals added, outside/inside temp, how the guy was feeling that was running the production line. He might have been sick or had a fight with the wife that morning.

All of this can affect tire wear.

The dual compound tires are a new thing over the last couple of years. I think the jury is still out on these. We may see a new trend in the next couple of years. One thing for sure.

We live in the best of times. Tires are better than they have every been. They wear better, stick better the only problem is they cost more.

Hope this helps a little guys. Ride safe and its great to be alive.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

As you can tell, lots of opinions. I say opinions because other than what is recommended by Honda, I don't think there is any data for our specific application. It's hard to tell someone to do other than what the MFG recommends but I am seeing a benefit to increased air pressure as far as mileage and wear pattern go on the PR2 rear. I'm right with 970mike at 45 psi and I'm probably bumping twice the weight of Mike. There is almost no scalloping on my rear with 7500 miles on it.

Has anyone using a PR2 ever wore it down to the cords? Was the cords showing in the very center or the side(s)? I think that would be grounds for what to do with the air pressure. If it wore to cords in the middle first - too much air pressure, if it wore to cords on the outer part of the tread I'd boost air pressure a bit. Just my opinion, of course.
Ask and you shall receive. Look at these Pictures of my rear last spring. My left side has always worn more than the right. I try to maintain 42 front and rear.

Kevin

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

Dinkie, at Lynne's last rear tire change she was down to the cords, right in the middle. We have been running 42 F&R but as you know she is lighter than both of us. Maybe I will try a little higher pressure.........

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

Jeff, that doesn't surprise me given Lynne's weight.

Kevin must be running the correct pressure for his GVW.

I know I'm :BDH:. I remember when I was a kid it seemed like every car tire made had Max Pressure stamped on the side of the tire as being 32psi. The carcass was thick and heavy in those days. Then, in the name of improvements/technology, radials came to be. They always looked flat even when properly inflated. Then we started seeing max press @ 36. Then 44 and now I see some listed at 51. I'll bet we could follow the trend and with each raising of the max pressure we'd find a lighter, thinner carcass. All this blather to say I think, given the extremely thin nature of the PR2, the air pressure is very, very important. So, what is the correct pressure? Surely it isn't the same for everyone. We probably have enough members here using PR2's we could build a chart/graph based on typical gross vehicle weight loaded. Okay, maybe not. :D

OP
OP
Bike
st1300

Curious where you found the info from Michelin as to the tire pressure because I've not been able to find it?

Also, which bike and which tire?
i called them, and thats what they said on friday, i thought it was low. so that is why i posted this request.

thanks to all!

cheers!

Top Bottom