Michelin PR2 tire pressure?

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Re: pilot road 2 michelin tire pressure?

As you can tell, lots of opinions. I say opinions because other than what is recommended by Honda, I don't think there is any data for our specific application. It's hard to tell someone to do other than what the MFG recommends but I am seeing a benefit to increased air pressure as far as mileage and wear pattern go on the PR2 rear. I'm right with 970mike at 45 psi and I'm probably bumping twice the weight of Mike. There is almost no scalloping on my rear with 7500 miles on it.

Has anyone using a PR2 ever wore it down to the cords? Was the cords showing in the very center or the side(s)? I think that would be grounds for what to do with the air pressure. If it wore to cords in the middle first - too much air pressure, if it wore to cords on the outer part of the tread I'd boost air pressure a bit. Just my opinion, of course.
I always burn off the left side first. Middle is perfect and right is in the middle. :D

Bike
03 ST1300

i called them, and thats what they said on friday, i thought it was low. so that is why i posted this request.

thanks to all!

cheers!
I am thinking (and I know I am usually wrong) that they may have inadvertantly told you michelin CAR tire pressures..

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Here are a couple pics of my rear with almost 10 K miles on them. Keep my pressure at 42, I'm 180 lbs, and ride some 2 up on the weekends. Looks like the left side is wearing a little more than the right. I'm tempted to keep them on to see how much I get out of them but with a trip coming to NC June 10 I will probably put a new one next week.

Attachments

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Here are a couple pics of my rear with almost 10 K miles on them. Keep my pressure at 42, I'm 180 lbs, and ride some 2 up on the weekends. Looks like the left side is wearing a little more than the right. I'm tempted to keep them on to see how much I get out of them but with a trip coming to NC June 10 I will probably put a new one next week.
Fali - based on my experiance with the same wear on my last 2 sets of PR2's, you do not have that many miles left on them. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has left side wear. I did get 12k out of my last set. Best so far.

Kevin

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I try to go by wear experience and keep an eye as the tire wears. If cupping, add air as Two Brothers suggests. I run 42 front and 44 rear, and this seems to lessen the wear... the theory being that inflated more means less heat generated, but we don't want gross overinflation either.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I left on a short trip and was thinking the tire would make it no problem. Up the road I had cord showing and had to buy a tire on the road. Just replace that tire now.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I left on a short trip and was thinking the tire would make it no problem. Up the road I had cord showing and had to buy a tire on the road. Just replace that tire now.
My sentiment too. I've left on a trip with half the PR2 tread remaining. Based on how the wear had gone to date, I extrapolated that there was plenty of miles left. But I found the tread down at ~20% or less in a day or two. On a trip last fall, I lost 25% of the tread depth in one day as my PR2s neared their end. I was fortunate to be within distance to get it home.

I've noticed that, in general, the last third or so of the tread depth can go away very quickly--I don't count on it any longer.

The tires are heat cured...with dual compounds or with different cooking temperatures/durations in different areas on the tire (to gain the dual compound tire performance), the depth and goodness of the vulcanization of rubber (how much tread depth is available for good wear) is dependent on the consistency from tire to tire and day to day of the cure of the tires. It would appear that that cure process is a bit variable and so how much of the tread depth you can count on is likewise variable.

... That's just my opinion on what is going on with the differing life of different tires the same tire model.
:shrug1:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
The tires are heat cured...with dual compounds or with different cooking temperatures/durations in different areas on the tire (to gain the dual compound tire performance), the depth and goodness of the vulcanization of rubber (how much tread depth is available for good wear) is dependent on the consistency from tire to tire and day to day of the cure of the tires. It would appear that that cure process is a bit variable and so how much of the tread depth you can count on is likewise variable.

... That's just my opinion on what is going on with the differing life of different tires the same tire model.
:shrug1:
There may be some validity to this, but I think not very much. If manufacturers like Michelin couldn't accurately control their processes, they'd have bigger problems that variations in tire wear. Uncontrolled processes translates into poor quality control, and a lot of waste, which translates into a company that doesn't stay in business very long. Modern manufacturing processes and quality control processes are all about maintaining consistency. While some variation is expected, it's going to be pretty small when you're talking about a top tier manufacturer.

I think the variations in reported tire wear have more to do with the wide variation in conditions tires are subject to once they leave the factory. Things like the weight of the rider, gear and passenger will make a huge difference. So will the typical speeds at which the tires are ridden, and how much of that riding is upright vs. leaned over. As will the degree of lean, and the level of acceleration and braking. Air and pavement temps also have a big impact, as does the road itself. Asphalt compounds can vary greatly from one part of the country to another, and some are much more abrasive that others. Even how steeply crowned the road is will make a difference. And, of course, how religiously the rider maintains tire pressures can impact tire life more than any other factor.

There are simply so many variables involved in tire life it's pretty much impossible to predict the mileage one rider will get based on what another reports. About the best you can hope for is that if many people say tire A lasts longer than tire X, that will probably be true for you, too. But you may get better mileage out of X than someone else gets out of A, or vice versa.

RP3

Bike
2001 ST 1100
STOC #
The left side wear is because roads are designed with a crown in them for water runoff and you probably didn't get to ride enough in Australia, Great Britain, or South Africa.

Bike
03 ST1300
Little story ... I am ashamed to admit, but live and learn. And will will never doubt "The Brothers".

During the Moonshine weekend ... When we pulled in the parking lot to meet up with Tim to ride over to St Louis for some Q. After a quick greetings after not seeing him since Terry's funeral. Tim quickly and respectfully (After a quick glance) informed me that my front tire was 6# low and the rear was 8# low. Without haste I ran across to the fuel station and checked the pressure to fill. I was pleased to be in the company of an individual with such finely tuned eye for detail, one that has perfected his craft ! (ok, ok ... enough kiss'n up) But it is true ! After checking the pressure I was impressed to see that he was dead on.

So when I was down @ the shop a couple weeks ago getting my new PR2's and brake pads put on .... Ernie "and I" determined the 39/40 # in both front and rear (Cold) will get you the 42# that is the sweet spot (Warm - after a mile or so) that the PR2's feel best for me.

True Story !

Thanks Brothers?

Tom

robertpage

TourMaster
Bike
2005 ST1300

Just installed second set of Michelin PS2's. Ran 42/42 with the first set and running the same with the second: 12,000 miles in 12 months.
Think I could've done much better had I paid more attention to the pressure. This time I bought a portable tire inflator and will check that 42/42 more religiously.
Thanks for the post,
Robert

Bike
2004 st1300
I thought 42 was the PSI COLD that we wanted. If I start at 42 within a few minutes of highway it's at 45/47 and after a long hot run 47/49 is not unusual.
I tried 40/40 and it went up to the same psi above within a few miles

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I thought 42 was the PSI COLD that we wanted. If I start at 42 within a few minutes of highway it's at 45/47 and after a long hot run 47/49 is not unusual.
I tried 40/40 and it went up to the same psi above within a few miles
Now, just for fun, start cold at 45 and see what happens. You might be surprised at the results.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Tire pressure has to be measured cold. (at least 1hr after riding and it shouldn't be under direct sun light).
After riding temperature goes up pressure goes up even it is 50 psi it is ok.
Tire under inflated will get hotter, will wear more, will grab more also will slide under rain quicker.
As faster as a bike goes tire gets hotter and in order to dissipate that needs more pressure. More tire pressure less heat created and more heat dissipated.
If one plans to go 160 miles per hour, tires need to be inflated no less than 146 PSI (DISREGARD 1, IT SHOULD BE 46psi).
If one decides to ride 2 (160 lb each) tires needs to be inflated no less than 145 PSI (DISREGARD 1, IT SHOULD BE 45psi.
There are some info for high speed riding and pressure compensation.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
What about the 7% rule? ie. hot psi should be 7% above cold. More than that, tire is underinflated. Less than that, tire is overinflated. Should this not compensate for differences in weight being carried?
On another note, but related......how accurate is the gauge you are using? I have 3 different types of gauges (pencil, dial, digital). They all read different, albeit within 3-4psi. How/where can you get a gauge checked? Not sure the tire shop gauges are any more reliable.
Rod

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If one plans to go 160 miles per hour, tires need to be inflated no less than 146 psi.
If one decides to ride 2 (160 lb each) tires needs to be inflated no less than 145 psi.
There are some info for high speed riding and pressure compensation.
These pressures seem a little on the high side. Like 100 psi high. :)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If one plans to go 160 miles per hour, tires need to be inflated no less than 146 psi.
If one decides to ride 2 (160 lb each) tires needs to be inflated no less than 145 psi.
This cannot be correct, what is your reference for this? Such pressures would damage the tires and would exceed the maximum of 42 PSI on the side wall mby over 3X!!! The Z speed rating is based on using normal pressures, no higher than the max stated on the side wall.

I think this kind of misinformation could lead to serious consequences and it is irresponsible to post it.

:bsflag:

Top Bottom