Michelin PR2 tire pressure?

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I believe the cheapest thing to do in life is "accusing!" One do not need anything to do it. One do not even need to know anything. One can accuse water to be wet. This one only goes to "irresponsible" comment not the rest.
I hope I am not irresponsible. I love this site and the ALL PEOPLE in it, since we love bikes, we all have to be cool people, least I believe in it.
Here is a link just find in 3 seconds about speed and pressure adjustment.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/airpress_loadadj_Zspeed.jsp

Nobody needs to believe me or anyone, just question my input and please do your own research (I mean do the research before BS, and accusation).

Tires get hot when ridden, also get hot when we do brake. Especially when we brake. One measure his/her tire pressure when hot, he will complain how his/her tire sucks because it lasted only 3k miles. PRESSURE CHECK ALWAYS COLD! (now don't take it as to "put the tire where keepin the beer")

Tire gets hot when riding, and it gets hotter when speeding high speed. Higher the psi lesser the heat created. Lower the psi higher the heat created.
One wise man has to increase the 42 psi higher if he decides to go 120 mph or higher. 70mph is nothing to worry about. 80 and up needs adjustment in my opinion.

If the weather is hot 85f and up, rubber gets more softer. You'll have better traction compared to winter temperatures. Even you'll get higher psi after you start riding you'll not loose traction.

The disadvantages of higher pressure is a couple (that i find out myself)
1 bumpier ride 2 a bit louder tires 3 tire blows up easier with sharp objects on the road (I guess due to lesser flexing)

Advantages are (in my opinion)
1 longer tire life 2 Higher MPG 3 Longer engine life and all the rest of the power terrain 4 If one needs to speed above 100mph it is safer. (due to reduced created heat on the tire).

When it states max press X on a tire wall that does no mean if your tire pressure passes that x limit it is going to explode. It is the limit when tire is cold. Anyone can call the tire company and ask a "WISE EMPLOYEE".

The gauge question is a tricky one, I really don't know. I had my own kind of bad experience with a tire gauge too. It was measuring 5psi high (honestly that high). It was a cheap one given to me from the tire sales guy. I guess you can go to a shop and compare yours with theirs on a given tire. But how to tell theirs accurate, I don't know.

Now please correct and educate me on the areas where I am mistaken. (isn't it what we are trying to do here????)
Thanks to everyone...

Last edited:

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
If one plans to go 160 miles per hour, tires need to be inflated no less than 146 psi.
If one decides to ride 2 (160 lb each) tires needs to be inflated no less than 145 psi.
There are some info for high speed riding and pressure compensation.
Badger, I think many of us are wondering if perhaps this is a typo? 146 surely is unreasonable. The Tirerack site suggest increasing the pressure on a Z rated tire by 7.5lbs. not 107.5.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Badger, both of your references contradict your recommdation of 145 and 146 PSI. In fact, the tire rack reference says what I said, "NOTES: Never exceed the maximum cold inflation pressure branded on the tire's sidewall.". The highest pressure recommended on the Avon site is 50 PSI, but only for specialIy reinforced tires. Sorry, but your references made my point for me and I stand by my previious post.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Wooooowww, I did not noticed even at the second post, I saw it after Dinky's post,********* YES IT IS A TYPO ERROR*****.

I am sorry, and now I can understand why every body was reacting that much. Disregard 146 or 145's (I really don't know where those 1's came from). I meant was without the 1's.
I do not believe any st1300 tire (regardless of front or back) can hold 100psi, not to even question 146psi. I think the tire will just blow.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Ahhhh! No worries then. Though personally I would still never exceed the recommended maximum cold temperature embossed on the side wall. I've seen tires wear strangely and more quickly using as little as 3 additional PSI (45 vs. 42) on an ST1300.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I think it is just trial and than observation. Most of the scientific achievements done by trials. Trial, observation and corrections. Nothing wrong to have 42 and observe how it rides. Trying little low or little high (no way 146 though hahahahahaha) and try again. I love these kinds of sites because nothing needs to be proven. Every one can reach the info and than decide for themselves for what is worth.
I have a Honda civic 2007 coupe ex. I bought it april 2007 and i have 54k on it with original tires on. Tires have still 10k life left on them. I always run 39 to 40 psi on them. Recommended is 32. I can hear more tire sound, it is little more bumpy but hey I have super gas milage 35 to 38 mpg and tires last longer. I drive very slow, I have to admit.
Now, to me mpg is more important. For some other, if the comfort is more important, 30psi can be considerable as ok.

This is a cut 'n' pate from the Michelin website:

"The tyre pressures given are purely indicative. Please refer to your vehicle's maintenance guide for recommended tyre pressures."

I to, find the 'one pressure fits all' (42PSI) quoted by Honda surprising. On all my other bikes and cars, different PSIs are specified depending on the load!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I too, find the 'one pressure fits all' (42PSI) quoted by Honda surprising. On all my other bikes and cars, different PSIs are specified depending on the load!
I think because the ST is so heavy, Honda had no room to maneuver with respect to tire pressures. They are trapped between running dangerously low pressure for the weight and speed of the bike, and the typical max pressure of 42 PSI for these sized tires.

Top Bottom