Aftermarket Exhaust

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
For me it came down to value. The delkelvic pipes look nice and are about B or B+ level quality. Staintunes are A quality from what I hear. Check the prices for both and decide. Are the staintunes 2x the price of delkelvic?

Later: just did a quick Internet search, $1300 for a pair of staintunes. Is that right? For that price those pipes would need to blow more than exhaust.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
For me it came down to value. The delkelvic pipes look nice and are about B or B+ level quality. Staintunes are A quality from what I hear. Check the prices for both and decide. Are the staintunes 2x the price of delkelvic?

Later: just did a quick Internet search, $1300 for a pair of staintunes. Is that right? For that price those pipes would need to blow more than exhaust.
Yes, that would probably be right for new purchase. Again IMO worth every penny because of the "A" quality. That being said I did get a better bargain on a set of barely used Staintunes here in the Classifieds.

offsetcrank

ok, 3 options. staintune, 2 bros, and delk

silly question...is a fuel injection calibrator needed when running aftermarket exhausts? who has done the combination???

if so, what brand programmer works best with what exhaust?

help.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
No calibration needed. In fact no one makes one for the ST.
That is true, anyone who tries to tell you they can tune the ST's computer is selling you snake oil. When I first put on my Staintunes I experienced some backfires when backing off the throttle. I was trying to figure out why, and then remembered that I had filled the tank with regular fuel as no premium was available at the station I was at miles from anywhere.

When using the normal premium fuel the ST loves, there are no problems.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I put the Delkevics on mine. I did it mainly to save weight, which they certainly do. I'm glad I bought them. No difference in performance that I could detect.

Mark

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
[Thread Hijack]

I can see the need for aftermarket exhaust for appearance or sound. I've often seen people, including OP, refer to "performance" improvements too.

Can someone take a reply to explain what kind of performance improvements are to be expected?

[/Thread Hijack]

Bike
2006 ST1300
[Thread Hijack]

I can see the need for aftermarket exhaust for appearance or sound. I've often seen people, including OP, refer to "performance" improvements too.

Can someone take a reply to explain what kind of performance improvements are to be expected?

[/Thread Hijack]
None. But also, don't forget weight. The stock cans are heavy!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I haven't ridden a stock 1300, mine came with the Two Brothers. Mine came with no inserts and was LOUD. I'll admit it sounded nice, but I like quieter- both for my own ears after 1000 miles on the bike, and also for those around me. I was ready to find a stock exhaust until i tried the P1X inserts. It still sounds good, and I even get compliments about it; but it is very quiet. Very nice tone.

Jim

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
[Thread Hijack]

[/Thread Hijack]
I experienced a stronger pull of power in the bikes low to mid-range. I never put the bike on the dyno before or after to confirm this, but after having ridden the bike for 3 years with stock pipes, my "seat of the pants" dyno tells me there is a little more on tap with the Staintunes.

I think there is some more power there even if it is only a little. I can feel it.

The stock pipes are heavy, the Staintunes are 13 pounds lighter (I weighed them).

The stock pipes run hot, they make the saddlebags hot and radiate heat for a long time after shutting down.

The Staintunes run a lot cooler, you can touch the cans 10 minutes after stopping, try that with stock pipes (actually don't you may need skin grafts ;) )

I went a step further and had my head pipes from the engine to the canisters ceramic coated. They claim coated pipes will run a cooler skin temp by up to 200 degrees.

I'm not sure on that but I am convinced the whole system runs cooler and I know for sure the smooth ceramic coating on the insides of the pipes make them flow better.

I have seen that proven on a flow measurement bench.

And they look pretty nice too.

I do know that my ST now runs considerably cooler in the lower legs and feet area than it did before.

I confirmed that on a trip to Nevada. My comparison was Texas in July :)

What about the heat?
Are the delkelvic pipes Hotter or cooler?
I just put a set on my 06 an it seems to be hotter around me, Or is it just in my mind?

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Got to be you ,LOL, or could be we have supper hot and muggy temps in our area also ! They got to run cooler with out the cats to hold in the heat !
MIKE

Hi John ,you can check out my Delkevic review in the review section ,it pretty much sums them up pretty good ! Nice Exhuast ! and great price !
MIKE
Reviving this old thread....can't seem to find the "reviews" section....Can you post up a link Mike?!?
THANKS!

Just went with the Delkevic 14" round. I like the end of these as they're more trumpet like. I took the baffles out and love these on my sweet St. A lot more go in the lower gears and sounds like a hotrod ford if you really go. Just a nice rumble cruising. Exactly as I hoped. Maybe not for all but me all good!

Top Bottom