Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoPro Questions

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

GoPro Questions

I bought a GoPro HD Helmet Cam yesterday. After watching member videos for awhile, I have decided I want to mount it on the bike and not on the helmet. I have read a number of threads, and searched the internet, non ST Forums, and YouTube, but can't find answers to the following questions:

1. How do you aim the GoPro? Is it simply a question of trial and error, or do I have to plunk down another $80.00 to buy the LCD BacPac?

2. If I use the 3M sticky mount in a location and decide that isn't the best place, will I be able to remove the mount without affecting the paint job? I don't care about the fact I can't use the mount again, but I want to make certain that my experiments don't leave spots all over the bike.

3. Is the suction cup mount (it didn't come with my GoPro) better than the 3M sticky mount? Can it be easily removed, and moved, without leaving a mark, and is it as stable as the 3M sticky mount?

4. I only saw one video where the camera was mounted on the mirror housing but the video seemed jumpy, probably because the mirror housing is not very stable. Is that an accurate assumption? If so, I'll cross off the mirror housing as a possible location for the mount.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not?

6. Mounting it on the fairing, near or below the Honda logo, seems to be the most stable and results in the best videos. Some mount it on the left fairing and some on the right. What's the difference, or isn't there any? Is it simply a matter of preference?

Thanks.

› See More: GoPro Questions

Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: GoPro Questions

1. you can guess pretty easily.

2. not sure

3. I use the suction cup mount, I have had it come off once when I mounted it too low. So, always use a tether, probably good no matter what mount you use

Not sure about the bike placement, for obvious reasons!
    2006 Ninja 650R "DLW" - his
    2000 ZR7 "Blue" - hers
    1994 ST11 "Kita" - RIP, 1988 C10 "Jesse" - RIP, 2001 Shadow Sabre - Sold, 1995 Vulcan 750 - Sold
    http://smashrides.blogspot.com/

Bike
    st 1300
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Aiming is via the view finder or guessing. Though it is really easy to guess.

I have mounted mine in 3 locations so far. 1 with the suction cup on the side bag, 1 on the dash behind the windshield, and on the side of my 1 wheel trailer. All have been stable and taken great video. I have left the mounts in place so far.
    Dave Gula AKA ScubaDave
    2007 ST 1300
    STOC#7998
    IBA#46550

Bike
    2003 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs:
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

1. How do you aim the GoPro? Is it simply a question of trial and error, or do I have to plunk down another $80.00 to buy the LCD BacPac?

I just eyeball it and that works well enough.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not?

Two of the three GoPro HD cameras that were used for the WeSTOC XVI video were above the headlight and below the windshield.

(lower quality version for slower computers)

www.vimeo.com/19917043 (fast video card and computer needed)

Bike
    '07 ST1300
    My Gallery

You can also get the bicycle handlebar mount and put the Gopro on a crashbar.

'64 Hon cub 50, '67 Hon trail 90, '68 Yam 180 twin, '66 Hon 305 dream, '71 Yam 175 enduro, '73 Yam tx500, '70 Hon sl100, '75 Hon xl250, '79 Yam sr500, '95 Kaw en500, '98 Hon cb750, '02 Yam fz1, '06 Suz dl650, '07 Hon ST1300

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

2. It depends how careful you are. Best to be really sure before mounting.

3. Not better. Just different. I found the adhesive mounted provided less shake. I rode 2 atv on really bumpy roads and the suction cup held. I was pretty amazed.

6. Matter of preference.

Bike
    2012 Tenere
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

4. I have my HD unit mounted on the left mirror housing with the 3M sticky mount and it works just fine. The video doesn't seem jumpy at all.

2004 Honda ST1300A
    2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
    MTA #9211, AMA #392028, Iron Butt #16743, STOC #803

Bike
    Honda ST 1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I used the double sided Tape on mine, and it didn't move at all...

I dunno how it will effect my paint job, although I don't plan on moving it... Your GoPro comes with two flat and two rounded mounts, so I guess to could do it both ways

Watch the start to see where I have mine.

Facebook: Marcus.Stringer Twitter: MarcusStringer

Bike
    '98 ST1100 CWR
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

1998 ST1100 Candy Wineberry Red
    STOC 8060

Bike
    2013 K1600GTL
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

1. How do you aim the GoPro? Trial and Error. I now own the LCD back.

2. If I use the 3M sticky mount in a location and decide that isn't the best place, will I be able to remove the mount without affecting the paint job? It comes off, but you have to take your time and be very careful. Re-apply new tape to the mount and re-locate. If it is in a location for a long time, it might not come off.

3. Is the suction cup mount (it didn't come with my GoPro) better than the 3M sticky mount? Can it be easily removed, and moved, without leaving a mark, and is it as stable as the 3M sticky mount? I use the suction cup mount routinely, it works great and has not left a mark so far. Fair warning, always use a tether!

4. I only saw one video where the camera was mounted on the mirror housing but the video seemed jumpy, probably because the mirror housing is not very stable. Is that an accurate assumption? If so, I'll cross off the mirror housing as a possible location for the mount. I cut the end off a zip tie and use it as a shim, cheap, easy, works great.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not? Tried there once, didn't like it.

6. Mounting it on the fairing, near or below the Honda logo, seems to be the most stable and results in the best videos. Some mount it on the left fairing and some on the right. What's the difference, or isn't there any? Is it simply a matter of preference? I mostly keep mine on the left side of the dash. It is much easier to turn on and off that way. Get the skelton case back as well as the LCD back so you can power it off the bike. My battery lasts exactly one hour and 57 minutes!

JD
    STOC# 6612
    Patriot Guard Riders SoCal
    Blue Knights CA VI

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast