GoPro Questions

Bike
None
STOC #
I bought a GoPro HD Helmet Cam yesterday. After watching member videos for awhile, I have decided I want to mount it on the bike and not on the helmet. I have read a number of threads, and searched the internet, non ST Forums, and YouTube, but can't find answers to the following questions:

1. How do you aim the GoPro? Is it simply a question of trial and error, or do I have to plunk down another $80.00 to buy the LCD BacPac?

2. If I use the 3M sticky mount in a location and decide that isn't the best place, will I be able to remove the mount without affecting the paint job? I don't care about the fact I can't use the mount again, but I want to make certain that my experiments don't leave spots all over the bike.

3. Is the suction cup mount (it didn't come with my GoPro) better than the 3M sticky mount? Can it be easily removed, and moved, without leaving a mark, and is it as stable as the 3M sticky mount?

4. I only saw one video where the camera was mounted on the mirror housing but the video seemed jumpy, probably because the mirror housing is not very stable. Is that an accurate assumption? If so, I'll cross off the mirror housing as a possible location for the mount.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not?

6. Mounting it on the fairing, near or below the Honda logo, seems to be the most stable and results in the best videos. Some mount it on the left fairing and some on the right. What's the difference, or isn't there any? Is it simply a matter of preference?

Thanks.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Aiming is via the view finder or guessing. Though it is really easy to guess.

I have mounted mine in 3 locations so far. 1 with the suction cup on the side bag, 1 on the dash behind the windshield, and on the side of my 1 wheel trailer. All have been stable and taken great video. I have left the mounts in place so far.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
1. How do you aim the GoPro? Is it simply a question of trial and error, or do I have to plunk down another $80.00 to buy the LCD BacPac?

I just eyeball it and that works well enough.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not?

Two of the three GoPro HD cameras that were used for the WeSTOC XVI video were above the headlight and below the windshield.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q46G-ykHlyM (lower quality version for slower computers)

www.vimeo.com/19917043 (fast video card and computer needed)

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
2. It depends how careful you are. Best to be really sure before mounting.

3. Not better. Just different. I found the adhesive mounted provided less shake. I rode 2 atv on really bumpy roads and the suction cup held. I was pretty amazed.

6. Matter of preference.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
4. I have my HD unit mounted on the left mirror housing with the 3M sticky mount and it works just fine. The video doesn't seem jumpy at all.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
1. How do you aim the GoPro? Trial and Error. I now own the LCD back.

2. If I use the 3M sticky mount in a location and decide that isn't the best place, will I be able to remove the mount without affecting the paint job? It comes off, but you have to take your time and be very careful. Re-apply new tape to the mount and re-locate. If it is in a location for a long time, it might not come off.

3. Is the suction cup mount (it didn't come with my GoPro) better than the 3M sticky mount? Can it be easily removed, and moved, without leaving a mark, and is it as stable as the 3M sticky mount? I use the suction cup mount routinely, it works great and has not left a mark so far. Fair warning, always use a tether!

4. I only saw one video where the camera was mounted on the mirror housing but the video seemed jumpy, probably because the mirror housing is not very stable. Is that an accurate assumption? If so, I'll cross off the mirror housing as a possible location for the mount. I cut the end off a zip tie and use it as a shim, cheap, easy, works great.

5. I couldn't find a video taken with the camera mounted on the front, below the windshield but above the lights. Would that be a good place to mount the camera, and if not, why not? Tried there once, didn't like it.

6. Mounting it on the fairing, near or below the Honda logo, seems to be the most stable and results in the best videos. Some mount it on the left fairing and some on the right. What's the difference, or isn't there any? Is it simply a matter of preference? I mostly keep mine on the left side of the dash. It is much easier to turn on and off that way. Get the skelton case back as well as the LCD back so you can power it off the bike. My battery lasts exactly one hour and 57 minutes!

JD

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Just got one myself and have been playing around with it a bit...

so far, just have a curved mount on top of the helmet. Don't think I'm going to like that angle though, it's up pretty high. Preference would be to have it mounted just below the helmet visor, on the chin area, but the curved mount just doesn't want to be flush there. Perhaps some additional 3m tape on the edges would help.

On the helmet seems best? when riding in the twisties it would be obvious how a rider needs to look ahead, and judge how much to slow. I'm thinking of it for maybe training videos also. Impressed with the camera so far though.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I like the LCD BacPac. I also have the Battery BacPac, primarily as a back-up since it can't be used with the LCD. The LCD may cost more, but i like seeing what I am doing. Use it in the pool with kids and they get a big kick out of watching later.

Big suction cup that came with mine is great. No problems with it, yet.

Overall, a slightly expensive toy for the bike, but I justified it as a 'family purchase' when used in pool :p:

Top Bottom