How many Campers are out there?

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Ok, so I used to camp when I was younger (I'm a young 53), lighter and not so creaky in the joints. I'm curious as to those of you who camp do it, what kind of gear, etc?
I recently read an article where the author suggested you carry a cot. Do any of you camp with out a trailer? What do you do about the ground - air mattress, or one of those self-inflating pads?
Any campers out there care to share?
Thanks,
Kent

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
90% of my motorcycle trips are camping trips... I use a therm-a-rest (camp-rest model because it is extra thick - almost 2") when I camp... Lot's of different opinions on what is best... Just find something that works for you... YMMV...
P.S. www.motocampers.com has a lot more motorcycle/camping information (an affiliate web-site)...
:cool:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
We camp and like it; but, we will also stay in a motel if we've stayed on the road too long to find and set up a camp for 1 night.

Break out that old back packing gear (or start acquiring it) and then go camp... anything you find you need you can put on a list or go buy (cha-ching! :D).

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Kent if you are not sure about camping. You can always start off with less expensive gear. And if you like it upgrade later. I paid around fifty dollars for my tent at Academy Sports. And about twenty for an air mattress. And around forty for a sleeping bag. I have probably used them a 10 to 15 times. I have enjoyed it! I wish I could do it more.
I would like to upgrade now.
If you get a chance to go to a STOC event where they are camping, you will be hooked! And you will see some real nice gear.

Bike
03 St1300A
All of my motorcycle trips are camping trips. I have a new tent (Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE) that will set up and take down a fraction of the time my old Kelty took. It's also half the weight and size too. A self inflating, extra thick pad rests under my Marmot Trestles 20 Degree Semi-Rectangular Sleeping Bag. The Marmot also is half the compressed size of my old bag. I try to pack as light and as frugally as possible. I pack all my camping equipment in a North Face Base Camp waterproof Duffel, which also doubles as a nice backrest.

Attachments

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Another 53 year old, happy moto-camper. Get good gear. I sleep better on the road than at home. (No back pain!) I just tried out a long Exped air mattress filled with down. Combined with a silk sleeping bag liner and a medium down bag, I am pretty comfy in my REI half-dome tent. For a stove, I use a single burner Coleman dual fuel that will burn unleaded gas or Coleman fuel. It is fast and efficient. Don't get me started on flashlights. Just start buying NiMH AA cells and make sure everything uses the same sized batteries.

Edit: As soon as I put up the tarp, it quit raining. First time I brought one on a bike trip, won't leave home without it now. Just enough to cover my side of the table...

Attachments

Bike
'06 ST1300A
dubya dubya dubya dot motocampers dot com has all the answers for ya!

My answers are:

Yes, I camp. I have used a three person tent, and a monster 6 person tent. I strongly suggest that you get the largest tent you can comfortably set up yourself. Not only is a roomier tent more comfortable, but weight really isn't much of a consideration.

A cot can be good, but all except for the LuxuryLite take up a lot of room. The LL looks to be very good, but it's very expensive. One downside with a cot is that it has no bottom insulation, so it can get cold. LL suggests using a old-school foam pad for the insulation. It does work, I slept on a cot for four months.

I have moto-camped using a self-inflating pad, a old style foam pad, and an airmattress. The problem with an air mattress is it lacks insulation, so it can be cold. This may be an advantage when it's warm out. If you're a side sleeper, you'll need to go with a thicker self-insulating pad. Again, weight isn't an issue (the bike's doing the heavy lifting), but space may be.

I have camped out of a Bushtec cargo trailer, and just the bike. The trailer is certainly convenient, and effectively puts any gear space issues to rest. Truth is, having a trailer encourages bringing more stuff than you'll generally use, but I consider it well worth it.

Having a seating option is much appreciated by many riders. The Kermit Chair is the top of the class, but there are other options as well.

My current gear:

Marmot NeverWinter Down bag OR Marmot 15d Synthetic Bag.

Marmot Limelight 3 tent OR REI Hobitat 6 tent

Coleman Twin Airbed w/ rechargeable pump OR REI Basecamp 3.5 self-inflating mattress.

A small memory foam travel pillow. NOT the Therm-a-rest pillow, just one I picked up at a department store a few years ago.

Check out www.motocampers.com for input from many other motocampers.

DAS

STOC #
Yup, I'm an average 52 year old and don't sleep well without some comfort. I have an air mattress with a built in hand bellows that takes about 2 minutes to fill, a cheap 7x7 tent that I gota replace before a real midwest t-storm washes me out, and a cheap rectangular bag and extra blanket for those cold nights you get in the western mountain. I love stealth camping, especially out west where it's easy to find a place along the side of the road.
[/IMG]

more examples in my gallery

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1875

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I'm a solo camper, prefer it over motels, but have done both. I have to admit though, camping nearly ended for me before I got my cot - I just couldn't get comfortable at night. The cot makes all the difference and now I'm a..., well, a happy camper. I use several different size tents depending on how long I'm going to be in one place, and I keep the cooking to the simplest form and eat out often. But you always make new friends camping, especially when you travel alone - how often can you say that about a motel.

Almost all of my m/c trips are camping. It makes it far more affordable and easier to convince the wife to let me go!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have been moto-camping for many years. I have inexpensive equipment and stay in state or federal campgrounds because of the low cost and security. I always carry a weapon in case I need to camp away from civilization. I believe the space under the rear seat was designed for a short barrelled revolver.
I made my stove from an electrical junction box and can of Sterno and use a Bass Pro air mattress. I think one of the most important items to carry is a comfortable chair with a backrest. Always spray the outside perimeter of your tent with bug spray to ward off ants.

AL

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I can't imagine staying in a hotel... I've only been camping since around 2002-ish... but ever since I started, I love it... Doesn't matter how hot/cold/dry/wet... I'm there.

My tip: leave the cotton clothing at home. You will be drier and more comfortable with outdoor clothing and packable rain gear.

The upside to camping is you can go places and see things that would otherwise be difficult and/or expensive.

Sorry for the self promotion, but for my blogs on moto camping, see UpToAlaska.blogspot.com and AnchorageToLa-Tim.blogspot.com.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I camp on just about all my trips. Like others have said get some cheap gear to start off with and join us at a few events and give it a try. If it works for you then you can upgrade your gear to something better. You will find all types of gear at these events. Come on give it a try and you just may like it!! Good luck!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
If I am staying in a different area every night, I typically find cheap motels. However if I am going and staying in the same place I will camp. I tried a twin air matress from wally world a couple times and they always seem to lose air through the night. This last weekend I camped at Jenny Wiley State Park in KY and decided I was just going to put the tent up and throw my sleeping bag down and sleep. I figured I would just try to sleep on the ground with nothing other than the sleeping bag. It worked just fine and I got 3 good nights of sleep. I don't plan on using a matress of any sort now, it takes up space and I find I don't need it.

Here my main gear:

Eureka Zeus 3LE
Small camp pillow-fits in a bag about the size of a coke can
40 degree sleeping bag- have a heaver one for colder trips
Fleece Sleeping Bag- Cheap one you get at wally world, I mostly use as a pillow but could use a blanket if its cold

I carry it all in an Akona duffel bag that Forest did a group buy on a couple years ago strapped to the passengers seat. I do wish to find a camp chair or will be taking a chair in a bag next time I go.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I almost forgot, the very most important piece of gear to take with you to the campground! EARPLUGS!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been mc camping since 2003 and love it. Don't care for motels. I camp solo since my wife doesn't care for camping so much so when we travel together it's to the motels but on my own on mc trips it's camping.
I did some backpacking in college many many years ago but then got married so that stopped for a time. I started out bigger with a Time-Out camper pulled by my Gold Wing (since I already had an idea and a little experience what I needed to camp). then I went to a tent when I sold those and rode a Burgman 650, and now the ST1100. Next month I will be returning to a camper with a Kompact Kamp mini-mate camper, but will be keeping the tent also. I do prefer sleeping off the ground, thus the camper.
I have a 2 man 3 season Mountainsmith Escape tent. I used to have a $25 A-frame style single wall tent but was always wet in side, even when it didn't rain. My Mountainsmith tent has a full rain fly (all the way to the ground on all sides) and the inner tent is almost all mesh or mesh-like nylon and I have been dry in the heaviest down pours with this tent. I have a Slumberjack modified mummy sleeping bag good to 35*F that I inherited from my dad and put that on a Therma-Rest Base Camp sleeping pad (2" thick). I am very comfy on this set up and sleep well at nights on the road. I don't do much cooking so don't yet have a camp stove. My camping always seems to be close enough to restaurants for a full meal and I do have a Polarbear cooler now (had an Igloo before) to keep cold stuff in and a sealed box for snacks at the campsite.

As I said I prefer to be off the ground. It's not due to lack for comfort but it's just getting harder to stand up from way down there on the ground. It's comfy enough with my setup while down there but getting up is getting harder to do. I am 56 now, not the oldest mc camper, but not so young anymore. I plan to use my Therma-Rest pad and sleeping bag in the camper.

Since your bike is carrying all the stuff instead of your back your main concern for equipment and gear is size, but not so much weight. If it fits well in the pack then it's good to go. Of course you can, and will, likely end up taking more than you need with you. It's a fun experience to learn what you need and what you don't. Lots of web sites out there on motocamping. www.motocampers.com and www.ibmc.org are a few good resources with lots of info on what gear you need.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
If your a big fella I can't say enough about gear that fits......Big agnes gear has over sized models of bags and high wall tents. Their sleep system is light and tough.

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, guys!
I got a free tent at a gear swap where I (occasionally) indoor rock climb, so I should suck it up and purchase a good Therm-a-rest pad, as the reviews on these seem to be the best. If it works out, I may upgrade to a newer, nicer tent. I don't like mummy bags, never liked 'em when they first came out. I like the silk liner idea, and for a stove I have been looking at the Esbit - the important thing is I already got my Coffee Press! (Coleman)
I am trying to make some events this year, and I belong to a GWRRA group (associate member), and the MSTA, so I should be able to find something!
Again, thanks for the input, hope to see you on the road!
Kent

Top Bottom