How many Campers are out there?

Bike
03 St1300A
Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I almost forgot, the very most important piece of gear to take with you to the campground! EARPLUGS!
I believe this is especially true for STOC events!
DAMHIK!

STOC events usually have great camp fires because IMHO there are so many of us sawing logs all night long! :D

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you are able you are close to a STOC event coming up near the end ot June. LOC STOC is June 23-26. Many campers will be there. Its in Spring Green, WI. Look it up in the events forums here.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
purchase a good Therm-a-rest pad, as the reviews on these seem to be the best.
I hate 'em... I have a couple if you want to try out, you pay shipping and if you like them we can work out a deal. They are too thin and too difficult to pack in my opinion. There are several here that love them so this is just my opinion.

Walmart sells some twin sized air mattresses tagged by Ozark Trail and sevylor also has some which are great and cheap. My #1 choice is the exped synmat dlx9 but it's not cheap so I would suggest the walmart or sevylor for 1st time campers.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a Timberline 4 SQ XT (the tent Mahal), Northface Manatee 5 degree mummy sleeping bag (designed for big guys to be able to have some room), Coleman twin 4" air mattress, and 12 volt dc air pump. I usually camp when I am going to be in the same place for a couple of days, but cheap motel it when I'm on long trips (lots of ground to cover, short time to do it in). After a couple of times camping, you will figure out what works for you. I also pack a rechargeable fan that is mighty nice to have in the tent. Helps the earplugs block out some of the somnolent music ... :D

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I might take you up on that Joe. My Nephew has some kind of inflatable pad I'm going to try first, but I might try them. How thin are they? I wonder if 240+ will just go through to the ground?

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I just started Moto camping this year. Dug out the old 7x7 tent, my son and I camped in years ago, bought an airmattress that has the non skid velvet skin (20 bucks) and
found this insulating material for wrapping duct work thats shiney chrome plastic on both sides, with trapped mini air pockets in the middle. About 1/4 inch thick, I taped three
lengths together and roll it out on the tent floor. It keeps my floor sano, insulates from ground temps, and is lightwieght. It adds another 6 inch roll to the stack on the ST, but
the tent gear, bag, insulation roll, all get tyed on the passenger seat, while another duffle sits on the flatbed behind the seat.
Some campgrounds have power nearby....(camping at Laguna Seca events this year) I brought a cheap hair dryer and filled my air mattress in under a min.
Sounds a bit redneck....but it worked well !

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks All!

Ok, I'm ready to go! I have my free tent, and I have actually looked at the inflatable beds as the best way off the ground. I do plan on getting to Spring Green, it kind of depends on my job )the lack thereof, or my new one!) I may be ending up in Iowa, but Davenport is pretty much just downriver from Spring Green! Looks like a nice ride up the River Road.
This week the paint is going on The Bee, so in a week or two I'll be out on her! Hope to see you all on the road! The Bee will be Camaro Yellow. Look for us!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Sounds like you have it worked out Kent. One thing no one mentioned tho is camping gear is a lot like the bike. You will always be changing something. But that is a good thing. My first camping trip on the bike was to Spring Green a few years ago. I no linger have the pink air mattress. :eek::
I look forward to seeing your bike, I am thinking yellow or silver for the 97
Mark

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I've been moto-camping since 2002 and really, really like it. I've camped with a Kwik Kamp camp trailer (nice to be off the ground, but heavy to pull); tent camped using a Coleman 3 person tent (when camping with my wife) and a Eureka Tetragon tent when solo camping; and last weekend I hammock camped for the first time for 2 nights at the Hells Canyon Rally. I was VERY impressed with the hammock approach. My only fear in adopting hammock camping as my total method of solo camping is having the assurance in finding adequate trees or objects to hang from.

hennessey hammock...keeps you dry even in the down-pour...if you set it right with the overhead cover tethered out...they(hammocks) ARE airy, though, and therefore cooler overnight than in tent in a bag with pad...i find it a fun aspect of the hennessey hammock in flopping into it & getting in(out) of mummy bag...be aware...the hammock does tempt the opportunistic thieves, though,...but that is another story...easy to "pitch" & take down & fit in side bags easily...:03biker::)

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Well, you piqued my interest with the talk of hammock camping - Holy Crap! The Hennesy is as expensive as a nice tent! Looks nice, and here in WI, I'm sure even stealth camping I could find trees, but as you head out west...
I do like more an more the idea of an inflatable twin, has anybody tried the Ozark Trails brand from Wally World?

@BigMak96 - I'm hoping to go to WISTOC, maybe see you then? If not, when I get the Bee back you can bet the pictures will be up here!

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Update!
Camped at WISTOC and loved it! Even if the first night the air mattress inflator conked out and i tried to sleep on the cold hard ground! (worked fine in the morning - go figure). I believe this is the only way to go -y'all were right! Great to meet a few of you at WISTOC - Dinkie is totally up in the air for me right now, but I'll try! Thanks for the info and check out my avatar for the new paint job - not quite finished, but way closer!)
Kent

JD5

I had an Ozark but it would lose air over night . The Coleman at wally world is " gauranteed not to leak " and does hold up much better. My riding buddies Coleman got a pin hole in it from packing , he had a tube of Shoe Goo and fashioned a patch from the plastic wrapping around the firewood and voila no leak ! Shoe Goo is the new duct tape IMHO. I'll be packing a small tube for those little emergency's
Well, you piqued my interest with the talk of hammock camping - Holy :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1:! The Hennesy is as expensive as a nice tent! Looks nice, and here in WI, I'm sure even stealth camping I could find trees, but as you head out west...
I do like more an more the idea of an inflatable twin, has anybody tried the Ozark Trails brand from Wally World?

@BigMak96 - I'm hoping to go to WISTOC, maybe see you then? If not, when I get the Bee back you can bet the pictures will be up here!

Bike
GL1800
I hate 'em... I have a couple if you want to try out, you pay shipping and if you like them we can work out a deal. They are too thin and too difficult to pack in my opinion. There are several here that love them so this is just my opinion.

Walmart sells some twin sized air mattresses tagged by Ozark Trail and sevylor also has some which are great and cheap. My #1 choice is the exped synmat dlx9 but it's not cheap so I would suggest the walmart or sevylor for 1st time campers.
Been there done that too with Thermarests which were part of the stable when I was younger. I now prefer the back packing insulated air mattresses like the exped or Big Agnes. My BA packs to nothing (compared to a Thermarest) and is plenty warm and more comfortable.

Get a chair too! Most starters do not want to spend the money on a Kermit or equivalent but...............many do eventually!

I am all dialed in except for my tent which is toooooooooooo small. It is a top notch NorthFace 2 man (huh! right!!!!) which I have used for many years but ...did I say too small! I need more headroom now. But it does pack to nothing again!

Camping in Alaska. Rain and Bugs................starting to wear a little bit.

I may pickup up one of the quick setup jobs from Catoma but am worried about pole length for stowing especially on my smaller bikes. A St-Owner tent!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've counted... there's only 14 campers on the site... but, they all go to all the events and they keep buying different tents so it looks like different people all the time.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm surprised about the small number of campers on the site. I was sure there were many more than that, even with the changing tents. There were at least 17 tents at LOC STOC. Maybe a few campers brought more than one of their many different tents. I still have the same tent I've had for 5 years. But I am finding it is getting harder and harder to make that transition from horizontal to vertical (and I'm only 56 yet). Still fairly easy to fall down but getting just as painful going either way. I am fine sleeping on the Thermarest and don't have any problem with stowing it since I have the dry bag just for my pad so it can go across the seat. With the increasing pain of transitioning up or down I decided to go with what I had when I rode a Gold Wing. I bought a Mini-Mate camper. Now I have more room to stow stuff and I don't have to fall down to get in my sleeping bag! I still call it camping and plan to be attending more STOCs in the future.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I've counted... there's only 14 campers on the site... but, they all go to all the events and they keep buying different tents so it looks like different people all the time.
LOL = Good one, Joe!

I just upgraded my tent to a 4man tent that takes about 10 seconds to set up, + rainfly and staking. My old 7x6 Coleman did me for 10 years, but the seams were peeling and I wanted more room. I also upgraded to a queen air mattress instead of that flimsy waffle air pad that wouldn't hold air at CampSTOC. I'm too old to sleep on the ground and I tend to roll off those narrow camp pads. I would've probably bought a twin, but I already had the queen and it fits with room to spare.

I'll camp if I'll be somewhere for more than one night and enjoy it. Cheap motel if I'm on the road and just want a shower and a power nap before moving along again.

I wish I had started with better equipment, but I'm a cheap bast@%d and made it work for a long time with cheap stuff.

Bike
ST1300
I have camped for about 8 yrs on bikes, the last 2 yrs with a trailer. I didn't like sleeping on a pad on the ground, setting up the tent and having to pack up to leave took too long. I've bought a used Leesurelite trailer that was lighter than most of the trailers I looked at. It sets up fairly quickly. This one came with a foam mattress that the previous owner's wife had added some orthopedic foam to. It's warm when it's cold and warm when it's warm outside, so I added an electric heater for the cold nites and a battery ceiling fan for when it's hot. I try to camp in state parks, usually about $18/nite. I've paid more and less. The trailer makes getting there a lot different but it means I can go to somewhere like Taos or Northern Arkansas and stay a week and stay in budget. I tend to eat out in the evening and eat gas station food in the morning. I carry a stove so I can have coffee in the morning and something warm in the evenings but I don't cook because I don't like washing dishes. I've eaten freeze-dried food some and like it but the salt content is a little scary. The whole trailer thing is a huge leap but one I thought was worth the trouble. I stay in motels when I need to but only for a nite when I'm trying to get somewhere. Hope you enjoy your camping/riding experiences. It's a great country out there...loads of roads you never see otherwise.

Top Bottom