Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Campers are out there?

Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: How many Campers are out there?

Camping is awesome! Really makes the trip for me. I avoid established campgrounds. Backpacking gear is the way to go, but like others have said start out with inexpensive stuff from walmart or similar til you decide what you really want. I've actually had pretty good luck with the coleman stuff, except tents. You don't have to spend a million bucks either, most of my stuff is used from craigslist!!!
    2006 Ninja 650R "DLW" - his
    2000 ZR7 "Blue" - hers
    1994 ST11 "Kita" - RIP, 1988 C10 "Jesse" - RIP, 2001 Shadow Sabre - Sold, 1995 Vulcan 750 - Sold
    http://smashrides.blogspot.com/

Kent Barnard
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    93 ST1100
    My Gallery

Thanks, guys!
    I got a free tent at a gear swap where I (occasionally) indoor rock climb, so I should suck it up and purchase a good Therm-a-rest pad, as the reviews on these seem to be the best. If it works out, I may upgrade to a newer, nicer tent. I don't like mummy bags, never liked 'em when they first came out. I like the silk liner idea, and for a stove I have been looking at the Esbit - the important thing is I already got my Coffee Press! (Coleman)
    I am trying to make some events this year, and I belong to a GWRRA group (associate member), and the MSTA, so I should be able to find something!
    Again, thanks for the input, hope to see you on the road!
    Kent
    "To become Old and Wise, You must first be Young and Foolish." Real Men Ride Yellow!

Bike
    03 St1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    I almost forgot, the very most important piece of gear to take with you to the campground! EARPLUGS!
    I believe this is especially true for STOC events!
    DAMHIK!

STOC events usually have great camp fires because IMHO there are so many of us sawing logs all night long!
    "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

Bike
    2014 CTX1300A
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

If you are able you are close to a STOC event coming up near the end ot June. LOC STOC is June 23-26. Many campers will be there. Its in Spring Green, WI. Look it up in the events forums here.
    STOC # 8058
    /bob
    Photos on Flickr

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cv66seabear View Post
    purchase a good Therm-a-rest pad, as the reviews on these seem to be the best.
    I hate 'em... I have a couple if you want to try out, you pay shipping and if you like them we can work out a deal. They are too thin and too difficult to pack in my opinion. There are several here that love them so this is just my opinion.

Walmart sells some twin sized air mattresses tagged by Ozark Trail and sevylor also has some which are great and cheap. My #1 choice is the exped synmat dlx9 but it's not cheap so I would suggest the walmart or sevylor for 1st time campers.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I have a Timberline 4 SQ XT (the tent Mahal), Northface Manatee 5 degree mummy sleeping bag (designed for big guys to be able to have some room), Coleman twin 4" air mattress, and 12 volt dc air pump. I usually camp when I am going to be in the same place for a couple of days, but cheap motel it when I'm on long trips (lots of ground to cover, short time to do it in). After a couple of times camping, you will figure out what works for you. I also pack a rechargeable fan that is mighty nice to have in the tent. Helps the earplugs block out some of the somnolent music ...

97 ST1100 STD +137,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +95,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +51,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I've gone over to an inflatable twin Coleman air mattress and will not look back, unless I'm specifically looking to stealth camp. Best of luck with your journey.

Kent Barnard
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    93 ST1100
    My Gallery

I might take you up on that Joe. My Nephew has some kind of inflatable pad I'm going to try first, but I might try them. How thin are they? I wonder if 240+ will just go through to the ground?

Bike
    '07 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Phil View Post
    somnolent music
    Look out Bones, we have another wordsmith in our midst.

In my simple minded way, I think Uncle Phil was using $200.00 words to say "snoring".

Bike
    06 ST 1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

I just started Moto camping this year. Dug out the old 7x7 tent, my son and I camped in years ago, bought an airmattress that has the non skid velvet skin (20 bucks) and
    found this insulating material for wrapping duct work thats shiney chrome plastic on both sides, with trapped mini air pockets in the middle. About 1/4 inch thick, I taped three
    lengths together and roll it out on the tent floor. It keeps my floor sano, insulates from ground temps, and is lightwieght. It adds another 6 inch roll to the stack on the ST, but
    the tent gear, bag, insulation roll, all get tyed on the passenger seat, while another duffle sits on the flatbed behind the seat.
    Some campgrounds have power nearby....(camping at Laguna Seca events this year) I brought a cheap hair dryer and filled my air mattress in under a min.
    Sounds a bit redneck....but it worked well !

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast