Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Kent,
I'm another older person that loves to do the motorcycle camping. I usually mix it up with part of the trip in a motel but not always. Depends on the milage and how I feel. I personally would like to find a base station and set up camp. Then venture out on daily rides from the base like we did at Moonshine Creek Campgrounds 2 years ago.
I carry a 2/3 man dome tent with drop plastic down first, a small foam pad for under the sleeping bag, sleeping bag in the winter / bedroll in the spring, summer, and fall and some emergency rations for the just in case situations. I've never needed a cot, chair, stool, or stuff like that. A good rock or stump has always been available. I take a few eating utensils and a pan I can boil water in. That's it. My tent, sleeping bag and utensils I have had for 15 years at least. Two years ago I bought a bed roll.

So except for the standard emergency stuff that is always on the bike - matches, first aid kit, flint striker, rain gear and stuff like that - that's my pack.

I think the tent cost me about 60, the sleeping bag about 40, and the pad and bed roll about 40 all together. You can get started in this with very little.
Do a weekend camp-out near your house at a State Park. They have all the conviences in case you need something else and will give you an idea of additional items to carry.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've always enjoyed riding and camping and tend to travel very light. I have a 20F down bag which packs down about as small as any bag can be, and I have a compact 2-man backpacking tent. That and a Thermarest pad and I'm set (well OK there's usually a fair amount of beer involved as well, but that's not technically part of my camp gear). I've also ridden with some hard core riders who were happy with just pulling down a side road, park the bikes on the side of the road, and roll out the bags next to the bikes. Nothing like a 5 minute camp setup/teardown to keep the daily mileage averages up.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You couldn't pay me to be in a hotel room.. well, that's not true.. you could pay me but I'd sneak out and go back to a campground w/newly purchased firewood.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You couldn't pay me to be in a hotel room.. well, that's not true.. you could pay me but I'd sneak out and go back to a campground w/newly purchased firewood.
I'm with you Joe. I think I have only stent 4 nights in a motel since I started riding again.

OP
OP
cv66seabear

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
When I started this thread a year ago, I was brand new to it all. I now have two tents, both 3 person. I bought a Quechoa 2 second tent, which is very nice, but very flat and round, so I haven't camped in it yet. I just put some grommets in the cover so I can strap it on my top box (I think). Trials begin this Sunday!

I have a Motel-on-a-bike. Air bed, double sleeping bag (I'm a thrasher), Jet Boil, coffee press, a frying pan and my portable kitchen in a Water Pitcher. I carry my blue max chair (thanks again Kevin), so I have a nice seat around the fire. I have a "MY Pillow" (best pillow I ever bought), which I can compress down into an 11 L dry bag, yet it pops out into a Queen size pillow! (supposed to stop my snoring...). I bought a fairly large boat bag, which is waterproof, and another dry bag for my sleeping bag. My luggage is, of course, yellow!

After seeing John O's hydro system on the side of his bike, I added a Geigerrig 100 oz in a Fox tactical bag with an extra long air hose. The Geigerrig is nice because it has an air bladder you pump up to force the water through the tube.

I can't see paying for a motel, and I love camping. More fun with friends though, so I'll see you at WiSTOC!
Kent

Top Bottom