starter relay wires getting hot

Hi.

Thank you for your answer.
I am still not sure how to do the bypass with the 2 wires.
I have just studied the electrical scheme again. The red/white from VRR is in fact not fused.
The 30A fuse is only restricting the current from the battery to the fuse box. -And also restricting the charging current to the battery from the VRR.

Normally when you drive the bike, and everything is ok, there will be almost no current through the 30A fuse.
The main current will go from the VRR to the fuse box. It wil not pass the 30A fuse.

I worst case you can have a bad battery charging all the time. In the same time there is current flowing to the load.
This means that you can have current way more than 30A from the VRR, without the 30A fuse blowing. (If the genarator is able to deliver more )
Can this be the reason why so many people have fried their VRR ?

I think i will split the two wires, and have 2 seperate 30A fuses.

wiring diagram st1100 92-95 abs 2.jpg

Kairo

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...You might want to do the bypass mod just for peace of mind.
John:

Does this 'bypass mod' apply to all years of the ST 1100? Could you elaborate a bit about what exactly it is, what the cause of the problem is and what gets bypassed? I have a 2001 ST 1100, I have not encountered any electrical problems with it, but this thread has caught my eye and I am now curious about this mod.

Michael

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
John:

Does this 'bypass mod' apply to all years of the ST 1100? Could you elaborate a bit about what exactly it is, what the cause of the problem is and what gets bypassed? I have a 2001 ST 1100, I have not encountered any electrical problems with it, but this thread has caught my eye and I am now curious about this mod.

Michael
Caught my eye too. See this... http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7130.0 and this.. http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3643.0

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks Paul, those two articles explained everything perfectly.

Michael
You're welcome. Note that there's a 3rd electrical mod (Headlight Ground Circuit Upgrade) at the very bottom of the 1st one.

Looking forward to reading through all three of those.

Top Bottom