Garmin POI Loader Help: Multiple POI Folders Allowed?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've been combing the internet, and can't find a direct answer to my question, but now I'm wondering:

Can you ADD POI files to your Zumo or will adding a POI file REPLACE existing POI?
Here's where I'm going with this:

Let's say I create a file of 20 POIs that have a proximity alert of 10 miles. Keep in mind, if you use POI loader (and not CSV) you have to assign the same alert distance to all points in the file when you load 'em.

Then, let's say I create a file of 5 more POIs, and load those with a prox alert of 50 miles.

Will loading additional POI overwrite the old POI? I seem to think you can actually add POI because when you power up the Zumo after a load, it prompts to manage new data, and if I loaded more POI without removing the old... it should just add under a different import group... even though they'd ALL be in the Zumo... right?

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I didn't know there was such a thing as proximity alert. Must be on newer models. I don't know the answer to your question but I would take the forensic approach and backup your POI's and test to see what the outcome is.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I didn't know there was such a thing as proximity alert. Must be on newer models. I don't know the answer to your question but I would take the forensic approach and backup your POI's and test to see what the outcome is.
I've been using POI and proximity alerts for quite a while with the Zumo 550 / Basecamp combo. If you're hardcore, you can create POI with Excel or any text editor (which I'm actually discovering to be a better way to go than using Basecamp or MapSource).

I agree with you on the back up. The POI installation is fairly dummy-proof using POI Loader, but I suppose I may just have to back up, and run a few 'speriments!

Although, in my continued research, I found this article on another forum. It looks like you can go into Mass Storage mode, and RENAME the POI.gpi file... load ANOTHER POI, and rename that... and the Zumo may recognize multiple POI folders to select from...

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Either way it's not a problem to over-write the PIO file as LONG AS YOU BACKED IT UP!.
You can easily just copy the orig over to your hd prior to mod'ing ...

found this;
\
(Please remember that each time you use POI Loader it will completely eliminate it's previous load to your n?vi, replacing it with the new load. It does not append.)]

A good basic and advanced PIO starts here;
http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/pagepoi.htm#poiintro

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hmm, I've got multiple custom POI folders on my Nuvi, but I can't remember if I used POI loader or some other to get them there... I do remember that I have one high level folder on my laptop with subfolders for my own POI categories - when I loaded the high level folder, it grabbed everything below that and each subfolder became its own category on the GPS..

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Hmm, I've got multiple custom POI folders on my Nuvi, but I can't remember if I used POI loader or some other to get them there... I do remember that I have one high level folder on my laptop with subfolders for my own POI categories - when I loaded the high level folder, it grabbed everything below that and each subfolder became its own category on the GPS..
I may have to try this. It would be more efficient than renaming over and over.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yup, that's what I did. I created one master folder (custom POI), then one folder for each category underneath that. Then you put indifividual CSV files into the subfolders. Run POILoader, just pointing it at the master folder, and it will copy everything below that and create subfolders all the way down to individual files. I took screenshots to show what it looks like on the Nuvi.. (I'm not sure why, but the attachments are out of sequence. Middle pic should be last). The POI Blackhills folder had 2 files in it, as shown in the middle pic.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
And yes, I have POIs loaded for Hotdogs. More perfect than Pie. :) Hmm, time to change the sig line...:eat1: We need a hotdog smilie.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
And yes, I have POIs loaded for Hotdogs. More perfect than Pie. :) Hmm, time to change the sig line...:eat1: We need a hotdog smilie.
I was going to ask about the hot dogs. If you have a dedicated POI file for hot dogs... you're becoming some sort of idol in my eyes.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I was going to ask about the hot dogs. If you have a dedicated POI file for hot dogs... you're becoming some sort of idol in my eyes.
Where's the dedicated POI file for PIE? I'm sure you are working on that! ;)

Bike
2003 ST1300
lol.. Unfortunately (fortunately?) there are only 2 Hot Dog POIs listed in Minnesota.. I know of at least 2 or 3 that should be added... maybe a HotDog run is in order.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Ask and you shall receive:

[GMAP]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=211102072381084093571.00049e0d5d8d5d31e68e5&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.09024,-95.712891&amp;spn=18.011131,37.238162&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=211102072381084093571.00049e0d5d8d5d31e68e5&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.09024,-95.712891&amp;spn=18.011131,37.238162&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Pie</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAP]

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Can anyone recommend any decent tutorials on this topic?
For now, this one may be helpful as it covers most of the topics that have come up.

LINK ME

If I were to detail the process as I'm understanding it:

1. Create your first POI file. Let's say it's called "Pie". Put it in your folder to be loaded.
  2. Create your next POI file. Let's call it "Hot Dogs". Put it in your folder to be loaded.
  3. Create your next POI file. Let's call it "Milk Shakes". Put it in the same folder as the other two.
  4. Connect your GPS, and open POI Loader.
  5. Direct POI Loader to the FOLDER, not the POI files to be loaded.
  6. Load. You should have three data sets from which to pick POI on your GPS.

Is that how I'm seeing this?

If so, I'm getting the impression that POI may be a slightly better system than Waypoints. The only thing I do not like about POI is that you have to zoom to 300 feet for them to show on your screen.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yup, that's pretty much it. You could put all the files in one POI folder, or create sub folders if you want to divide things up further. You could have a Parks folder and put state/national/provincial parks files, a Food folder, and under that Pie/Hotdogs/Burger folders, or just shmush them together in one directory. Personal preference thing - one way it's more scrolling, the other it's more clicking.

Bike
2003 ST1300
How come no one ever mentions the Rustic Inn up by Gooseberry Falls park? Their pies were far superior (yuck yuck) to Betty's Pies. And they're motorcycle friendly - they have big benches to put helmets and large hooks for jackets 'n stuff..

???

bk

Top Bottom