Tying down ST1300 for ferry crossing

Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
I'm going to be taking the Lake Express ferry out of Milwaukee at the end of the month and was wondering if the tip over bar method of tying down the bike works well on a ferry? I think that they have 4 tie down points so I would have the bike in gear on it's side stand with a ratchet strap on each tip over bar and then ratchet straps on the rear frame by the passenger foot pegs. I think this should work, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of taking the ST on a ferry.

STOC #
When I crossed Lake Michigan on the Badger several years ago, I only used the tip over bars. Left the bike in gear and parked on the side-stand. Don't remember any other relatively accessible points in the deck for additional tie-downs.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
When I was in Seattle last summer I just put it on the kickstand with no tie downs. That's how all the other bikes there did. Maybe the Great Lakes are rougher?

I've never been on a ferry with tie down points. I have a modified folding cain that I wedge under the right side tip over wing with the ST on the side stand. I use a small bungee cord to apply the front brake. Some ferrys supply wedges that I put against the wheels. I just did the Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, BC Black Ball Ferry and I had to sign a waiver that I would not hold them resposible for damage if the bike fell over. The ferry from Deprture Bay to Horseshoe Bay, BC Ferries, didn't ask for the waiver.

Len

Bike
05 st1300
Bring your on ratchet straps,tie to tip over bars and in 1st gear side stand down.I have used this method on the CAT from Portland Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia and at Manitoulin Island.Works great and no tip overs in very rough waters.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the ocean going ferries in Europe, you put it in gear, put it on the side stand, and put a cinch strap over the seat to a deck cleat on either side (usually a pad is provided to put under the strap over the seat).

Bike
06 ST1300
Why in gear? I never haul a bike in gear or side stand down if I am going to tie it down and tie the front brake. Are the boat rides different? I know there is different movement in water.

Paul

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Dang... I had no idea that ferry crossings were that rough... I usually just leave mine on the side stand... But I've only crossed a few rivers... I guess I've been lucky that it hasn't fallen...
:cool:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Paul - I didn't tie the front brake. That was the method used on the ocean going ferries I rode on in Europe. Local ferries over there and the ones I've crossed in the States are just roll on 'carefully', sit on the bike (usually in gear with the sidestand down), roll off 'carefully' - like we did at FerrySToc over some fairly rough water a time or two. ;-)

Bike
'05 ST1300A
I have lots of experience with ferries...it's the start and end of every road trip off Newfoundland. Crossing time is about 6 hours and seas can get rough.

Tip over bars are all I use. Bike in gear and on side stand. If you have 4 tie down points, use the tip over bar for all four. Picture is an example of only 2 tie downs available...was a calm crossing.

Attachments

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
And...for those of us who have a Middleton Hand Brake - I'd engage it as well.

The Middleton is now out of production (can be found rarely on eBay), but I got in on the last group buy a few years ago - one of the handiest farkles I've added. (no pun intended)

Best,

-Geo

Bike
1998 ST1100
When my wife and I took the Badger across Lake Michigan, I put it on the side stand and tied it down with a Canyon Dancer and ratchet straps. No problems.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
I keep four ratching straps (orange, long ones) in the bag with my rok straps when I am traveling and have ferries on the route. I personally do the following: side stand, in gear, chocks if available, front and rear tip over bars used as the tie down points. The last ferry coming back from Croatia was fine until we hit HARD coming into the RO/RO berth. Several harleys were knocked forward and down. Several of the people I ride with here went to Barcelona the end of March. That ferry trip was very bad with really rough weather.

From MCN: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/Ridingeventsresults/Touring-travel/2009/May/may0809-travel-advice-bikes-on-the-ferry/

From HUBB: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/photos-tie-down-ferries-train-30255 (This is John Down Under with his ST in Europe.) I tried the photo link and it works.

I attached a few photos I found quickly online. The last one is all our MC's lined up for the Split to Ancona Ferry. There were probably 200 MC's on that ferry.

JD

Attachments

Bike
2009 ST 1300A
I wish I had a better picture, but on the short crossings (1-1.5hrs) between the mainland and Vancouver Island, there are no tie downs - BC Ferries provides a stepped block (that can accommodate numerous types and heights of bikes) which works in opposition to the side stand to support the bike. I slide the block in right under my foot peg area where it fits snuggly and had ample structural support. I haven't had the ST long enough to know how it will ride in rough waters (the pic was taken on my very first road trip with the ST from Vancouver, BC to Comox on the island) but I have taken previous bikes (my 1100 V-star most recently) on some very rough sailings and never had issues.
I also took the ST down to Kingston,WA shortly after and the shorter ride (Puget Sound crossings) on the smaller ferries seem a bit choppier but no tie downs or blocks are provided whatsoever ( no waiver to sign either).

Jes :bk13:

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Inland ferries like the I am on now beaded to Seattle rarely need any securing. And if it did, meaning high winds and waves, I'd skip on the bike cuz it usually includes rain. Where you need to worry is when they dock! These behemoths do not have the most responsive brakes and they have stalled slamming it into reverse! I have seen bikes fall over during docking. And with a rider on the bike! On open crossings and big seas, I think the engine guards and engaging the brakes with Velcro or a bungie would be prudent. The rear grab bars would be a belt and suspenders thing... Provided there were anchors available for the straps. If the ship is moving real good they will rub so protect you paint with something. And watch those dockings! Best to sit on bike on side stand and prepare for a jolt to the right side after it hits a docking wall or bumper and keep a hand on the brake lever! Almost to the Seattle waterfront so down decks I need to go and get ready.

Bike
ST1300 and ST11
the ferry guys should do the tie down for you but i did have them trying to do it wrong once cus they had the straps going straight across my nice shiny pannier paint and trying to give em a bollocking when they could speak a word of english wasnt easy so i gave up, took the straps off and did it myself ( i have recovering cars and bikes for 13 yrs and never lost one yet) put it on the sidestand if they dont have front wheel chocs on the boat , you dont need to remove the front wings at all, you can take you strap and thread over the top of the front mudguard (around the shocker) then bring the strap back on itself , then make sure when you anchor down there is a forward and side pull on those straps ( this will make it stable against side and reawards rolling ove the boat) then you can do the over the seat method if you like with a third strap or alternative to that it go from the pillion handles but be carefull about the panniers paintwork, whter going over the seat or the handles make sure you give rewards and sidways pull on these straps and by doing so the bike will be rock solid from any direction ( front, back, left and right rolling of the boat), trust me 13 years taking bikes tied down has proven to me the best methods, but while we are on this subject i must mention the amount of times i have seen people using a strap with a loop on one end and hooking that straight over the handlebar grips ( never ever do this unless you have the type of bike where you can then cross the left and right right strap over each other) if you cant cross them over then prepare for the consequencies when things get rough and the front suspension dips a little on the bike with the straps simply falling off the bars and your pride and joy taking a dive

Top Bottom