Tying down ST1300 for ferry crossing

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Haven't had the option of anchor points but perhaps should take a Kango Drill & some anchors next time using the BC ferries? ;-)

Bike is always in gear to reduce moving.

I carry a small elastic cord with loops tied in each end. One loop is hooked over the front brake lever, lever pulled tight, then wrapped by the cord to hold the front brake on. Other loop goes over lever. A heavy bungee or tie strap runs from the side stand to the front wheel to prevent the side stand from folding back if the bike slides forward. The front wheel is locked to the left if possible to lower the bike as far as possible tilted to the left.

BC Ferries provide stepped wedge blocks so if any are available, I stuff one under the right side to prevent the bike from flopping to that side.

Not had any bike fall on a ferry but almost dropped the ST when crossing an oil or fuel spot in the rain. Buttock pucker time that was. It was more of a MX move than anything and I'll continue to claim that it was pure skill. ;-)

I have seen some bikes fall due to the bike sliding forward and folding up the stand. Don't recall a Harley stand folding up but have seen them fall to the right. Don't Harley stands all lock down in some manner? I don't work on or ride them but seem to remember....

Anyone in favor of center stand on a ferry? I talked to a couple of guys who did that on...can't recall but were not ST. Thought it was a bad idea but might be corrected...

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
So, if using the tip overwings, why wouldn't you put it on the center stand. Seems that would make a more stable platform.
On the centre stand the bike is just as likely to fall in either direction, when on the side stand with down pressure provided by the straps the bike is very stable. In 2012 we took the ferry to Newfoundland which was a very rough crossing, the deck hand must have been a politician in training as he wouldn't give an opinion as to whether the bike was tied down properly. 8 or 9 hours later the bike was still standing and all was good.

Gerhard

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I only have river crossing and the bays in the Gulf experience. They are relatively short crossings. I put it in gear and on the kickstand. When leaving the dock and docking I sit on it to hold it with my legs in addition to the kickstand. Ferries bump things and sometimes could knock your bike over if your not helping it stay up. While crossing it's fine by itself.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
On the centre stand the bike is just as likely to fall in either direction, when on the side stand with down pressure provided by the straps the bike is very stable. In 2012 we took the ferry to Newfoundland which was a very rough crossing, the deck hand must have been a politician in training as he wouldn't give an opinion as to whether the bike was tied down properly. 8 or 9 hours later the bike was still standing and all was good.
It is all about liability is why they have no view on if it is secured or not.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...why wouldn't you put it on the center stand. Seems that would make a more stable platform.
My take on stability works like this:

If the bike is on its side-stand, then you have a three-point connection to the ground, with substantial weight on all three points, and the three points widely separated in the form of a triangle.
If the bike is on its center-stand, then you have 90% of the weight on two points that are very close together, and the other 10% on the front wheel. Unless, of course, you are heavily loaded for touring, in which case you have 95% of the weight on the center-stand, and 5% on the front wheel.

Draw a shape representing the triangle created by the three points when on the side-stand, then draw a shape representing the three points when on the side-stand. The side-stand triangle will be wider.

If the bike is on the side-stand, you only have to cinch it down sufficiently to make sure it cannot be tipped over to the right... this because there is no way on earth it will ever tip over to the left. If the bike is on the center stand, then you have to secure it so that it cannot tip over to either side, in addition to ensuring that it cannot roll forward and spring off the side-stand.

On many European ferries (Stena, Olsen, and Viking, based on my experience), the deck crews won't let you secure the moto in any way other than what is shown in the picture below. If you try to put it on the center stand, they just kick you off the car deck up to the bar, and tie your moto down themselves... using the side-stand.

Ferry Tie-Down
PS: Note the wheel chocks front and back

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Different ferries have different ways of doing things, in 2011 we crossed the Bay of Fundy and this deck hand tied the bike down for me and wished us a good trip when we left the ferry 3 hours later.

Last year we took a 14 hour ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island and they basically gave you one strap over the seat and a wooden wedge under the high side. Week later we took the ferry back to the mainland and all they provided was the wooden wedge for the hour and a bit crossing. It's a long video but the last minute shows us riding on to the ferry and the instructions from the deck hand.

[video=youtube_share;7EVXR_ugt6M]http://youtu.be/7EVXR_ugt6M?t=13m33s[/video]

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you can get straps to use on both sides. Tie it down like on a trailer. No stand. Keep it upright and let the suspension do it's job.

Top Bottom