Pulling a Roll-A-Home

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I bought a Roll-A-Home trailer a while back for my ST. Empty weight is about 300lbs.
http://www.rollahome.com/info.html

A friend gave me a hitch that came from Uni-Go. So, I would have to get an adapter for a ball. I've always been a little hesitant about towing a trailer. I've done the tent camping route with the ST. And sleeping on the ground in a tent has lost it's appeal. And the most expensive part of a Rally is always the cost of the Hotel. And the fact is, we like to camp. The only thing we use our Hotel for is to sleep and take a shower.

Anyone pull a Roll-A-Home?

Curtis

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Uni-Go hitches for the 1100 are nice and rigid. I would think you will be fine. Start slow and see how it tracks first , then work up with speed. Practice some stops. Standard bike? Give yourself extra room to stop. I do and my 11 is ABS which IMO has stronger brakes. At least you don't have to hit them as hard as a standard to get max stopping.
Good luck.
Mark

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just returned from pulling my Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate camper. A bit smaller than a Roll-A-Home at only 265 lbs empty. Don't be fooled by the advertised weight and the actual weight after you load it. Don't kid yourself about it only being 300 lbs. I would estimate closer to 350-375 lbs after it's packed up for a camping trip based on my experience. I loaded extra stuff in my camper this first time (just picked it up last weekend) just to see how it would handle. I estimate it was at least 300 lbs, maybe 320 lbs with what I put into it (less storage space than a Roll-A-Home and you will generally always end up filling up what storage you have available). I pulled a Time-Out camper some years ago with a GL1500 Gold Wing. Frame mounted hitches are better like the Uni-Go type hitch. I put a DenRay hitch on my ST1100 and the primary mounts are to a rubber bushing in a plate that is rubber mounted (the plate the muffler mount and pegs are on). My camper was ok to pull as long as there was no really high winds with semis passing causing lots of turbulance. (had that on the way to Loc-Stoc this weekend but so much on the way home). Some very different forces are felt and may take some getting used to. If you haven't pulled a trailer before, especially one that heavy, be sure to do as Mark suggests. Drive around the neighborhood first to get the feel of it and then venture out a little at a time. It is a different riding style than we on the ST are used to when pulling.

BTW- when I got home tonight I sorted through what I had packed in the camper and set aside what I didn't need and took note of what I was missing that I will need for next time. Will be lighter the next time. Something you should always do after a trip with a trailer or camper, or even after tent camping with what the bike can carry.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
While riding around the neighborhood familiarizing yourself with the rig, make sure you go over every speed bump, driveway, etc that you can. The wiggle that anything other than a dead perpendicular roll over those obstacles gives can be unsettling to the uninitiated.

Bike
GL1800 2015
stay nervous!
if someone cuts you off or slams the breaks on, you aint stopping!
I think the most important thing is keeping plenty of room around you...
I try and ride it like a truck...but it's easy to forget just how much weight your hauling after your on the road for awhile and gain more experience...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
:plus1:on that hitting every bump and even pot holes (carefully) thing. This weekend was the first time pulling my Mini-Mate camper on the ST and it took me 50 miles to get used to the offset wiggle caused by high winds and turbulence from the passing big rigs. Then I was able to regain the skills and experience of when I pulled a heavy Time-Out camper with my Gold Wing several years ago. I also drive it like a truck when pulling. Then ride it like a ST after I unhitch at camp. :grin:

Bike
ST1300
I looked at the Roll-a-home when I was trailer shopping and got scared off by the initial weight of the thing. I'm new to the trailer part of riding and wanted to start as light as I could go at first. I'm glad I did. I found a used Leesurelite that started empty at 220#. The previous owner had added a longer tounge with a fairly large box to the front. I pack like I did when I was tent camping except I don't need a sleeping pad and I can take more water, tools and clothes. Some day I need to find a decent camp chair but I stay in state/national parks and there are always picnic tables to cook on and sit at. I've pulled it camping about 10 times now and stopping is always on my mind...but the brakes always seem up to the task. I'd worry with the tires breaking loose due to the increased load more than that the brakes won't hual me down, especially going downhill in the mountains. I don't have any issues with air turbulence that others describe, or crosswinds. I get suprised once in a while when I don't take off from a stop into a turn with enough forward momentum but it pulls fairly well otherwise.

OP
OP
curtspivey
Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I'm selling my Roll-a-Home. All I'm doing is pulling it behind my truck about once a year. So, if anyone is looking for a great deal on a trailer and hitch I can give them a steal of a deal.

Bike
06 ST1300
I know you trailer types will not even considered this worth 2 cents. So here is my 1 cents worth...other than Gold Wings, full on Road Kings or trikes, trailers on most bikes just seem wrong. Why ride is you have an battering ram pusshing you around everywhere? An ST is a SPORT tourer. Hooking 300-800 pounds on them just kills their whole reason to be. Watching for bumps, feeling for wobbles, leaving football field size stopping distances...you may as well just ride a chopper for the same thrill. Do yourself a favour. Save a few more coins for hotels and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
curtspivey
Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I can't argue with you there. The trailer seemed like a good idea at the time. But, I just never had the desire to pull it. Every time my wife asked me to put on the hitch I found some way to procrastinate. The biggest reason for wanting the trailer was for camping. It had nothing to do with trying to save money. My wife and I camped a lot on our ST's. And it's sort of a pain and very time consuming to pack and unpack all the gear each time you set up camp. And sleeping on the ground sucks!

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I know you trailer types will not even considered this worth 2 cents. So here is my 1 cents worth...other than Gold Wings, full on Road Kings or trikes, trailers on most bikes just seem wrong. Why ride is you have an battering ram pusshing you around everywhere? An ST is a SPORT tourer. Hooking 300-800 pounds on them just kills their whole reason to be. Watching for bumps, feeling for wobbles, leaving football field size stopping distances...you may as well just ride a chopper for the same thrill. Do yourself a favour. Save a few more coins for hotels and enjoy the ride.
:plus1: My sentiments exactly ! Like "Honey...Lets hook up the Coleman tent trailer to the Corvette and go camping." No offence to trailer owners intended.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
I agree with you. Although, it would be nice to have a motorcycle camper when you arrive at the campsite, no way would I tow one, even with my Gold Wing. Last Summer, while touring near Red Lodge, Montana, I noticed a Harley Ultra pulling a small camper pass by while I was taking a break along the road. Anywy, a few minutes later, I noticed red and blue light ahead of me. The Harley and camper had rolled into a field. The ambulance was loading the two viitims, and it looked bad!! In my opinion, motorcycles should not pull trailers. However, I have several friends who disagree with me, which is not unusual!!

I can't argue with you there. The trailer seemed like a good idea at the time. But, I just never had the desire to pull it. Every time my wife asked me to put on the hitch I found some way to procrastinate. The biggest reason for wanting the trailer was for camping. It had nothing to do with trying to save money. My wife and I camped a lot on our ST's. And it's sort of a pain and very time consuming to pack and unpack all the gear each time you set up camp. And sleeping on the ground sucks!
Set up and take down time for camping is important. If it takes long, you'll end up in a hotel. After years at this, I think I have it down. A Quechua 2 second tent, no pole, no stakes, fast up fast down, seconds really. A Luxury Lite cot, foam mat on top and a cotton fitted sheet. Off the ground, warm, comfortable. All gets deployed in under 10 minutes, packed in the time it takes to make the coffee. A modest hotel room room costs a thousand miles of gas. A two week trip in hotels will cost $1000 - $2000. Camping is 10 -20 a night, free if you bush camp. Plus, its fun and puts you in touch with nature. Campgrounds are a good time, too. At hotels, nobody talks to anyone.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I will never suggest that someone pull a trailer if they are not comfortable with it, but they do have their place even on an ST.

I will agree that if it is too heavy I would not do it, but it is possible to have a trailer that takes the hassle out of packing to fill every inch, and not seriously take away from the joy of getting from A to B. My trailer holds 6.875 cubic feet and weighs in at around #140.
I could have made the same trailer weighing much less but I used the materials I had on hand. Being a single wheel trailer it does not effect handling as much as one might think. Something to consider too is the fact that when I am going to or returning from a destination, I am usually looking to make time so unhindered handling is not my primary goal. If I lived in the areas where I could point the bike and go and always be in the twisties, then the trailer would be used much less.
To each his own, I love mine.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
GREAT PHOTO !!...by the way. Now this sinerio might be ok. You are fairly near some pristine country...You set up ONCE and stay there for a week, riding out several times for day trips.

I LIKE this idea ! Especially if you can ride out of camp and fish during the day !

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
I am intrigued by this. I think it would be foolish to trailer at speed through the twisty stuff. I think if you were pounding the slab then ok. I have been looking at HP and torque numbers to compare to other bikes that do tow like the GL's and the HD's. If you have over 100hp and torque you should be fine. I am looking at a lighter smaller profile trailer https://www.roadmancampers.com/ The swivel hitch seems to be a plus or a minus. Thoughts on the swivel hitch

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I have 2 friends that are into camping. I'm talking about the big 30, 35' versions behind cages. we were discussing it one day and he said he could camp for 20 to 30.00 per nite. I said the motels I stay in are about $100.00 per nite. Then I said, but I didn't spend 50K on a pickup and probably another 20 to 30 on a camper. It will take me a long time to catch up to his costs of camping. Plus, I may stay in motels 15 days in a year, and my wife likes a good bed and a shower within 15 ' of the bed. AI now have a Spyder and the thought has crossed my mind of hooking up a trailer, but just to haul her things, not camp.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I am intrigued by this. I think it would be foolish to trailer at speed through the twisty stuff. I think if you were pounding the slab then ok. I have been looking at HP and torque numbers to compare to other bikes that do tow like the GL's and the HD's. If you have over 100hp and torque you should be fine. I am looking at a lighter smaller profile trailer https://www.roadmancampers.com/ The swivel hitch seems to be a plus or a minus. Thoughts on the swivel hitch
Matt, your gonna open up a can of worms when you ask about swivels. But I've pulled both over the many years I've been towing trailers, first in 1983. My last two were camping trailers and I do like the swivel with that kind of weight behind you.

Top Bottom