Heat

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
From post 12 on this thread got weird... well even more weird than most threads that Coop posts in... ;)

But, I'm blaming Jerry for it!
:D

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think it may have got weird starting with this post, #10. Where is the thread title? When I posted there were 2 threads titled Heat both started by Neumsky.

Has anyone tried taking out the thermostat completly? Jeff

Mines a 2010 and it's worse with a headwind reguardless of speed...maybe a little worse at speed.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Try looking for a ceramic coating that can be sprayed on. I have used this when I was a painting contractor and seen thermal transfer decrease by as much as 20-30 degrees.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The fairing deflector kit may help. I live in Florida and the heat off the bike has never been an issue to me. It gives off heat no doubt about that but proper riding gear takes care of most of it for me. The deflector kit adds no time to removing tupperware at all. There are no extra tupperware fasteners involved with the deflectors. My bike is stock as far as drilling holes or removing fairing parts goes.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Jeff, When it is really hot, I keep my feet against the frame and my knees tight against the tank. It makes the heat tolerable for me.

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Hey Coop... thanx for the suggestions... and how did you experience Johnnies??? Looks like your far away now! Jeff

St_james... ya... I've tried that one too... just short of sitting on the back seat haha. I have my legs so spread apart... I think I've sprouted wings!

Woodybelle... what do you mean??? Jeff

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
102 today i took off my inner front cowlings to help disapate the heat better. going to be just as hot the whole way down to Los Angeles tomorrow too.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
My ST isn't as hot as my C10 Concours was, though it does transfer more heat to the rider than the Goldwing. I don't find it intolerable at all, even in shorts. (Not that I would recommend such a thing). As someone above mentioned, the only time I have a problem with it, is when the fans kick on at a traffic light.

The exhaust does heat up alot and it gets really hot! Does wrapping them help? or would it put too much heat through the cans?

Bike
2003 ST1300
I'd think the deflectors should help - I rode for a couple of days last week without the little access plate on the left side, and the amount of additional heat on my leg was amazing, to say the least. A bit of insulation and wider lip 'should' make things more comfortable.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have the deflector kit, and with a bit of experimentation on knee/shin/foot positioning, you can either draw in heated air around the legs (during winter) or draw in cooler air around the legs (summer). :yes:

But one thing I still notice is that the front arch of my foot (the part just forward of my ankles) gets overheated unless I put my feet out to the very ends of the footpegs.

Neumsky, my point is do get the fairing deflectors and do practice moving around your legs / feet to figure out where to place them to help with the heat.
:)

Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
Start with wearing good mesh gear. People don't seem to understand that you are actually cooler with mesh on than in shorts and a t-shirt. Why?? Because it keeps the sun off of your skin and then of course the air flows through the protective clothing. The obvious benefits are unspoken when you go down. Might be a good time to say there are two types of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down.

I live in South Florida 20 minutes south of stgolfer and yes I can feel the heat on my 2010 but the suggestion of not flogging the bike is a good one as I notice it less when I just ride with traffic. Also, experimenting with windshield up or down and feet on highway pegs or not makes a difference. I'll probably put the air deflectors on some day also but getting the crash bars / bag protectors from Bydawg is a bigger priority when I can afford them.

idp

Bike
ST1300
Ok... I've had my 2010 ST-1300 for a month now... from about 85 degrees & up the heat is almost intollerable on my shins... is this normal??? Thanx Jeff:(
Hi There, just spent a week in northern Italy on my new Pan in 35+ degree temps, its unbearably hot, and even worse when you put the screen up at motorway speeds.

I've already tried putting hitec aluminium heat shielding on the underside of the tank and exposed parts of the fairing, but this doesn't help.

personally as an experienced engineer , I think best answer is sell the bike.

PS Honda UK who supplied the bike aren't remotely interested. FAB service or what.

Cheers Ian:

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Living in Florida we do have alot of hot days, I insulated above the air box under the tank, installed Staintunes, and added good boots and riding pants. In traffic you will always feel heat on any motorcycle. I might try some baker wings to flow some cooler air or to add hotter air in the winter. Good luck finding the answer.

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Now Bakerboy...there is a couple of different deflector kits out there. mellow has it looks like the ones that are factory(which is non adjustable) and then there's like the one's you see on the Goldwings out there, which are adjustable. Which ones are you referring to??? That goes for you too Shake, or anyone who is referring to deflector kits. Thanx... Jeff

Top Bottom