Heat

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Ok... I've had my 2010 ST-1300 for a month now... from about 85 degrees & up the heat is almost intollerable on my shins... is this normal??? Thanx Jeff:(

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Do a search there are many threads and widely varying opinions on the subject.

IMOP the best thing for that is proper riding boots and pants.
A mod some folks find works and is cheap, is to remove or drill a series of large holes in the inner fairing pcs that guide air to the radiator. They're cheap if you want to go back to a standard set in the winter.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I've only seen 104? here but it was a humid 104 :D
Seriously you're better off with riding pants and high boots. You're gonna get red wearing jeans. Oh and yes it does throw a lot of heat at your shins, that's normal.

It's a 1300cc motor hard mounted to the frame 3 inches from your boys...it's gonna throw some heat. If it's more than any other larger bike, is a topic of debate.

Just don't find yourself stuck in traffic, when the fans kick on there's nowhere to hide.

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Thank you so much... when I test rode it, it did'nt seem so bad... but it got hotter towards the onslaught of summer and holy moly. I'm glad your suffering like me haha!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hiya Neumsky!
I was shocked by the amount of heat my ST threw out too, and have done a few things to eliminate it. Removing the inner cowling, and tying the front fairing together at the top with tie-wraps seems to have made the most difference. Ivan's FCE claims to help it, but it did not seem to at all. (it did a moderate amount to fix the twitchy throttle tho.) I added a bit of insulated radiant barrier at the area where the tank meets the seat bracket, and that made riding MUCH more comfy. I did not realize so much heat was leaking up thru there! I am going to fabricate a set of wings to see if i can eliminate that "dead pocket" of air right behind the bottom of the fairing, before blowing big bucks on the fairing deflector set. I hear it makes taking the tupperware off tough too. I do wear mesh pants while riding here- it's hot here too! I wear full height boots, and it seems to help, but they ARE a warm bike. Ride Safe!

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
So there is a fairing deflector set or kit?? Where do you get them & has anyone had any luck with them?? Klaproth... I appreciate the advice and will keep my mind, ears & eyes open! You would think... with this being as popular bike as it is... someone, or Honda woulda fixed this. One comment above was whether or not it is different than any other motorcycle... I can vouch for it is. I have owned a Goldwing... 5 BMW's and a couple dozen other makes and models. And their all cooler. The BMW RT is the coolest but will probably never own a BMW again.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I've ridden from cold to 105d temp on my '04 ( 2 up )... yes it's warm in stop and go above 85df, but if moving, its not bad. To hot to ride, never if moving more than 10 mph.

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Has anyone tried taking out the thermostat completly? Jeff

Mines a 2010 and it's worse with a headwind reguardless of speed...maybe a little worse at speed.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
A month isn't very long to break in an engine. I have a 2010 and it's not all that hot if the air temperatures will cooperate. I just used some of those 115 degree days to put some heated grips on it for the good riding days this winter. Whew!! Please don't ask about the two 2005's LOL!!

You are so lucky to be close to Johnnies in El Reno!!

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
It seems to me that if you flog the bike in hot weather that it makes the matter worse. Try taking it easy on the throttle on those really hot days.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Not to mention the engine not getting up to designed temperature I wouldn't think that would help longevity.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
If he does what????????
Rick
This thread seems to have been combined with another thread that asked if anyone has tried removing the thermostat completely. I was responding to that thread, at the time I responded no one else had responded, sorry for the confusion.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Rick
This thread seems to have been combined with another thread that asked if anyone has tried removing the thermostat completely. I was responding to that thread, at the time I responded no one else had responded, sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, that was really weird. I had to go back to the beginning and read this thread over again. I ended up :a13::a13::a13: a little crazy.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
Rick
You mean there's another heat thread beside this one? The next thing you know somebody will be asking about oil and tires!

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Ok... I've had my 2010 ST-1300 for a month now... from about 85 degrees & up the heat is almost intollerable on my shins... is this normal??? Thanx Jeff:(
Lower deflectors seem to help quite a bit. They help push out some of that hot air coming off the engine. Drilling the front covers on each side of the radiator helps some also.

Top Bottom