What Mileage are you getting on the PR 2 or 3

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
Hi all.

I am wondering what kind of Mileage you are getting on your PR2 and 3's. I think there can be a wide range of mileage. I see some often report 12k or more on the rear. I take these reports with a grain of salt. I believe anyone getting over 11k on a rear is not really riding far or hard. I do no commuting just recreational riding. With that I do around 20k plus and year I did 24k last year. Most rides are 200 plus miles with one or no gas stops. The pace is quick (but not hair on fire). I have been running BT020 and get from 7 to 9k. Thinking about trying a PR?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
UPDATE: just checked my records, my tires are at 13,649, and still going.12K rear 14K front (with some tread left) for the two sets of PR2s I've used. Just fitted a PR3 rear and it still looks good at about 5K right now. No experience with the PR3 front as I think they are still not available in the ST's size. I'm running a 3rd PR2 up front with the PR3 out back and these work well together.

Last edited:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
My last set of PR2's had around 10K miles before I changed them for my trip recently. They may have gone another 500-1000 miles but the edges on the rear were cupped pretty bad.

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Randy,

I currently have 12821 on my 1st rear PR2. It's getting very close to the wear bars and I have another PR2 to replace it with.

I do/did see a little bit of "odd wear" - most significantly after returning from a recent trip to Johnson City TN where I spent the better part of three days carving up the corners hard and fast. Nothing bad, just a slight bit of "scalloping" along the tread lines near the sides of the tires. I will say this is one of the first times I've has a rear tire worn on the sides almost as even as the center - not a common occurence riding in Florida, but I did manage to escape for the twisties now and then.

I put this set on 3/31/11 so I AM riding far and I ride 'em hard enough. Only you can judge after you've tried them.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the way these tires have performed.

YMMV!

OP
OP

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
Thanks for the Replies guys. Was just checking some other threads and see many 11k plus reports from many. I still question the ride style. For you folks reporting 10 or 11k plus. What is your average length of ride from start to finish? Mine is 180miles 60 avg mph from start to finish?

Thanks

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've lost count how many sets (5 or 6) of PR2s I've put on my bike, but on the most part I'm seeing between 11 and 12K per set. I generally replace both tires. i have a few fronts sitting around with a couple K left on them.

sscharf

PR2s. I got 10.6K miles out of the rear. I like to wear them down pretty well. This one was plugged early in its life, but once worn down, the plug would not stay. The tire was a bit squared off.

The front has 15.5K, and has more life.

BTW, how does one measure the wear of these tires? I don't see any clear wear bars.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
just took of a set before westoc, had 13k on them plenty of miles left but was unsure if they would have gone the 4k plus out and back so I changed them. I don't commute at all, retired, I do some local riding, but most of it is to stoc events or rides consisting of more than a hundred miles one way. Heat and type of asphalt and tire pressure, along with the right hand play into mileage. I do believe that I can get 16 to 18k out of a a set of pr2's, but I'm not a racer, just a conserative rider.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I gotten about 9,000 miles each out of two sets of PR2s. For comparision I got +/-6000 out of original BT020s,+/- 6000 out of maybe 7 sets of Avon Storms, +/-6000 out of two sets of Metzeler Z6s and 5700 out of BT023s so I am getting about 50% more mileage with the Michelins. I ride 200 to 400 mile day rides in a sporting manner and get to the mountains 2 or 3 times a year and average about 20K a year. I do stupid stuff like practicing threshold braking most every ride and briefly locking up the front tire drills once a month or so. (non-ABS ST1300) I replace tires as a set but the PR2s are the first set that wore the front at the same speed as the rear. I couldn't have gotten anymore miles out of the fronts but the rears had another 1/32" to the wear bars. I have 93,000 miles on my ST.

I do not like the Michelins nearly as much as BT023s or Avon Storms in the areas of feedback and hanlding. They just don't feel as good in corners but they do not lack for grip and they are great in the rain. I wanted to get more miles per tire so the trade-off is entirely satisfactory to date. I just mounted a PR3 rear and PR2 front.

No throttle, no brakes, no fun but high mileage. :)

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I have been getting 11 to 12K out of my PR2's. I think I have the 5th set on now.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I have never . been able to get any more than 8900 miles pout of any tire on my rear i now have the pr3 on and it still looks great with no sign of flat spot from long ride on slab now have 4500 miles on it i hope this tire will end my trial and error for tire search. bt020,metzler 880, dunlop roadsmart, dunlop qualiffier, and now pr3

Taz

Mike
Bike
08-ST1300
My first set of PR2, I got 7k on the rear and 10k on the front. This was better than the 5K I was getting with the Dunlop's. On the second set now.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I have never . been able to get any more than 8900 miles pout of any tire on my rear i now have the pr3 on and it still looks great with no sign of flat spot from long ride on slab now have 4500 miles on it i hope this tire will end my trial and error for tire search. bt020,metzler 880, dunlop roadsmart, dunlop qualiffier, and now pr3
Curious if you ever tried the PR2?

Bike
ST1300 '08
over 10k on rear PR2 with plenty of tread left.. just put a PR2 on the front. we'll see how it does. Did a 3k mile ride last month in cold, heat, rain, dry, high speeds, Rocky Mountains, etc.. all very good. Bike somewhat loaded.. side bags, top case, and duffle behind me, and I'm about 175. FWIW. Good tires IMO.

Bike
ST1300 '08
over 10k on rear PR2 with plenty of tread left.. just put a PR2 on the front. we'll see how it does. Did a 3k mile ride last month in cold, heat, rain, dry, high speeds, Rocky Mountains, etc.. all very good. Bike somewhat loaded.. side bags, top case, and duffle behind me, and I'm about 175. FWIW. Good tires IMO.
I have NO idea why the mileage seems to vary so much. I "think" I am a fairly average rider. Not too much of a grampa and not too squiddly either. I am all over keeping the air pressure at 42 front and rear. and where I ride tends to extremely hot, unless I am on my annual "big ride" to the mountains or such.. so who knows?

Bike
03 Goldwing
About 10K on my rear tire so far. I do have the odd scalloping wear that others are experiencing, but plenty of tread left. I would guess I will get 12k-13K out of it.
90% of my rides are 200 miles or more. 50% of the time I have my wife on the back. Only about 4K miles on the front PR2 now and it still looks absolutely brand new.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I get around 6k/back tire and 10k/front. About the same as I got with 020's but I like the way the PR2's work better. I too am mystified as to the high mileage some get out of their tires. I was commenting to the tech, who put my last rear on, about the mileage and he was saying how riding style really dictates the mileage (who wudda thunk that:)) but one thing he did comment on was engine braking. His contention was that using a lot of engine braking contributes to rear tire wear more than you would think. I tend to use more "engine" braking than "brake" braking when riding so maybe that is part of the reason for the mileages I am getting.
Rod

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
OK, I finally changed my PR2 rear tire and here's the details:

Replaced BOTH front and rear OEM's at 10,179 - the rear was close to wear bars and though the front had tread, I was concerned about its age (Original tires on an '07 - I bought the bike in Jan of '11 with 3800 miles and that set of tires on it). Plus, I wanted to change brands so I went with a fresh set of PR2s.

They did take a couple of K for me to get "used" to the feel, but not long and I was pretty pleased overall. That was back in April 2011. By July I had put 13,168 on that new set which included a good mix of interstate, twisties and just plain riding.

Here's what my rear looked like when changed -

IMG_1164_resize.JPG This shows the overall tire look and the wears bars showing

IMG_1165_resize.JPG This one shows the odd wear pattern I mentioned (kind of a scalloping at the tread lines only on the left side of the tire)

IMG_1166_resize.JPG This one shows a small nail that I noticed about 1.5K before I actually changed the tire. I found the tire pressure down by 4 lbs at the time and I kept a close eye on the pressure after that. It was a very slow leak, maybe 2 lbs a week, but I never let it get more then 1 lb low after I first discovered it.

The front still looks like its got a lot of tread, though maybe not enough to make it to the next rear - time will tell.

Top Bottom