What Mileage are you getting on the PR 2 or 3

I just replaced my first PR2 rear tire. I got about 9500 miles. I probably should have replaced it about 500 miles ago. But still, it has lasted longer than my Road Smarts and 023s.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I really like Michelin Tires, both PR2s and now the PR3s. They're both great rain or shine, corner well (note that I'm not very aggressive) and are comfortable. I've read some comments that they are noisy, but with custom earplugs, that isn't a factor for me so I don't know if they are or not. I am absolutely confident on them in any rain and they've pulled me along quite nicely in some real toad stranglers.

I've run 11 sets of PR2s and normally pull them short of the treadwear indicators or even sooner when a long trip looms ahead and I want to be sure to make it all the way. On average, I get 12-14K on front and 8-10k on the rear. One tire each that I ran into the treadware indicators got 16,900 on the front and 13,200 on the rear (not the same set, naturally).

I'm running my first set of PR3s and think they handle as well as the PR2s but wear longer. I'm at just over 15,000 on the set and the front looks nearly new, while the sipes at the 1/2" center of the rear are worn off. If I hadn't seen the rear new with the sipes (which are very thin at the center of the tire) I'd say it has plenty of miles left on it also. However, I'll replace it soon and cut it open to see how much rubber is actually left, then I'll know for next time.

I've run 5 sets of other brands and am pretty much sticking with PRs until something newer and better comes along.

Shuey

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have 9K on my PR2s, and they look as though they have a couple thousand more in them. I'll probably pull them early, though, before my June trip to Colorado. (We always keep a set of "not quite worn out" tires around in case someone needs one to get home on.)

Based on what I've heard from others, I'll probably replace them with the PR3s. The PR2s are good in the rain, but the PR2s are supposed to be a little better. I'm also hearing that they wear a little longer. Anytime I get 10K from a tire (which is typical on the ST13, so far,) I feel that I've gotten my money's worth.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I asked Tim at Two Brothers Tires what would he put on his St1300? HIs Answer was Michelin. I respect his answer! They deal with motorcycle tires every day.
I for one will never put a car tire on a motorcycle! Nor will I put a rear motorcycle tire backwards on the front of my motorcycle! If I can't afford to put on my bike what it calls for. Then it is time to give up the hobby!

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Just pull off a rear PR2 with 12970 miles.
The front removed with 14632 (it still had a little life left but was down to the wear bars on one side)...

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I for one will never put a car tire on a motorcycle! Nor will I put a rear motorcycle tire backwards on the front of my motorcycle! If I can't afford to put on my bike what it calls for. Then it is time to give up the hobby!
You wouldn't even spend $135 to try it for a spell?
I like the PR2 MC tires but they cost some dough. I've done 6 rear tires in 48k miles and 4 of those were Mich. PR2's. Average 8k each at about $150 each. Even more $$ now. We are talking about $900 I've spent on rear tires alone. Not even including my time to change tire.
I've done 5 front tires in the same 48k miles at about $100 each. All but the 1st has been PR2's. Less than 10k miles average. I have a PR2 front right now that's getting into the wear bars at 5,000 miles. I've worn off all my tires to the cords. I don't think that is safe either. That's like +/-$1,400 for tires at 48 k miles. $0.03 per mile. Not trivial and unlike gasoline a cost I can do something about. Gas at 40 MPG at $4/ g = $0.10 per mile. FWIW.

I betting 2 rear Hankook car tires last for that same miles = $270. About 1/3 the cost!
I'm going to try a Goldwing front tire next. I'm hoping for better miles than the PR2 stock size. Little larger radial but only H rated. The speeds I go I'm thinking that will not be an issue. Just picking it up and looking at it, it's a heavier tire. I'm hoping it last longer maybe closer to 20k miles.

You can afford it. That's cool. I can as well but don't want to spend my $$ on dead tires!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Never! That just scares the crap out of me! I have enough scars and aftermarket parts in my body already! I don't want anymore! I don't even like to ride around anyone that has them on there bike. It just scares me! And I sure don't want to see anyone I know get hurt doing something I don't feel is safe at all!
I wonder if an insurance company would refuse a claim, if you had car tire on a bike?
For me, I will try to help keep Two Brothers Tires going. :D
Please be careful on those tires! :please1:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I got about 8K out of the PR2 rear that I ran on my 11. Not the proper size, it was for a 13, but the price was right (gratis!) It may have had 3-500 miles left on it. I've been running the Avon Storms (that's what I just put back on) and I'm going Dark with the next tire. I'll be setting up so that I can switch from Dark to standard easily (I've got a spare brake hanger, etc.).

I didn't like the PR2 as well as the Avon; both are good tires, I just like the Avon better. PR2 felt more squirmy on tar snakes and uneven pavement. I didn't notice any noise from it. I also had a couple times when leaned WAY over that the PR2 felt "loose", but this may be because it's not the "proper" size for the bike.

YMMV

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Never! That just scares the crap out of me! I have enough scars and aftermarket parts in my body already! I don't want anymore! I don't even like to ride around anyone that has them on there bike. It just scares me! And I sure don't want to see anyone I know get hurt doing something I don't feel is safe at all!
I wonder if an insurance company would refuse a claim, if you had car tire on a bike?
For me, I will try to help keep Two Brothers Tires going. :D
Please be careful on those tires! :please1:
That's cool. I get scared about these guys around here too. Nothing to do with tires.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the PR2 MC tires but they cost some dough. I've done 6 rear tires in 48k miles and 4 of those were Mich. PR2's. Average 8k each at about $150 each. Even more $$ now. We are talking about $900 I've spent on rear tires alone. Not even including my time to change tire.
I've done 5 front tires in the same 48k miles at about $100 each. All but the 1st has been PR2's. Less than 10k miles average. I have a PR2 front right now that's getting into the wear bars at 5,000 miles. I've worn off all my tires to the cords. I don't think that is safe either. That's like +/-$1,400 for tires at 48 k miles. $0.03 per mile. Not trivial and unlike gasoline a cost I can do something about. Gas at 40 MPG at $4/ g = $0.10 per mile. FWIW.

I betting 2 rear Hankook car tires last for that same miles = $270. About 1/3 the cost!
I'm going to try a Goldwing front tire next. I'm hoping for better miles than the PR2 stock size. Little larger radial but only H rated. The speeds I go I'm thinking that will not be an issue. Just picking it up and looking at it, it's a heavier tire. I'm hoping it last longer maybe closer to 20k miles.

You can afford it. That's cool. I can as well but don't want to spend my $$ on dead tires!
Think how much this guy is saving on his ride. 4 tires for him were only $200 mounted and out the door! Plus they will last over 50,000 miles. He drove the previous set absolutely bald.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Ive got 6400 miles on a set of PR2s. Almost all of those miles are 2-up loaded 75+. What few miles were solo, I was probably pulling around 15 mpg on my favorite back roads. I'm 2mm off the wear bars, front and rear.

All that to say - I've got a 3,000+ mile trip planned and I am not sure the tires will make the whole trip (again 2-up).

I'm debating whether to replace the tires- or try to pull this trip out of them. They might go the distance, but I'm not sure I want to go through the Smoky Mountains on worn out rubber, or spend the whole trip worrying about it.

Anybody know how many millimeters of tread above the wear bars on a new PR2?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They start at 8/32 and the wear bars are flush at 2/32.

Bike
2007 ST1300
So if I have 2/32 to the wear bars, youre saying I have 4/32 of actual tread - translating to another 3-4k miles of service? I don't know - I'm conflicted. I Don't have time in my schedule to arrange a tire change on the road.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Where are you going and when? There are a few of us that are willing to help with such a request. Somewhere on this site is a list of the tire services available by state..

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You have 2/32 to the wear bars. The wear bars are there to tell you you have 2/32" of tread depth left which is a minimum for water evacuation. At that depth it is time to replace the tire.

At this point you have used about 50% of available tread (8/32 - 4/32) but you aren't supposed to use the last 2/32 unless you will never ride in rain. So if wear is linear, which it doesn't seem to ever be, the tire might go 9600 miles or another 3200 miles. Lots of us get 9000 to 12000 out of a PR2 rear so you are in line so far. But I would replace it for the trip. I would be worrying and check the tire constantly on the trip. Save this tire for a spare for you or a fellow rider that needs some help to get home.

Bike
2007 ST1300
That's the same math I'm coming up with. I think I'll replace and keep them for another day or maybe save them for some who might need them.

I'm going from MN to Charleston SC via the Smoky Mountains the first week of August.

Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom