Pilot Roads

Bike
'07 ST1300
just got a set of michelin road pilot two's and it seems that my ST is a totally different motorcycle

handling is so much better. The ST feels steadier and remarkably smoother especially when leaning into a curve

I just wish two brother's wasn't out of road pilot three's!! Would have liked to have tried the new threes, but am loving the twos!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Bike
2000 ST1100
I reallly like the Michelin PR's on the ST.

I had the same experience with replacing the Dunlop 020's with Michelin PR 2's, I used the size recommended for the 1300 on my 1100 (one size wider and one profile lower). After 12K miles the rear was gone, and at the most inconvenient time: just before my trip. The PR3 on the rear seemed to get along well with the somewhat worn out PR2 on the front during my recent 3K trip to the mountains. Now with 15K on the front I look forward to trying the matched pair next month for a similar trip.

It is another story, but the reason I didn't replace BOTH pr 2'S was that the dealer couldn't get the front PR 3 ordered in before my scheduled departure. I had to rush to prepare the ST because my primed, primped and prepared BMW crapped an oil seal the week before the trip. BUMMER!

Jim

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The PR2s are my favorite tire so far.

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
actually I got myself into a mess with this set of PR2's - I ordered them from Two Brothers out of Atlanta, and they shot em over here to me in a heartbeat at a good price, but then NO ONE HERE WOULD PUT THEM ON since I didin't buy the tires from them, shops around here don't want to work on any tires not bought at their shop!!! So I was in a bad spot. i called Honda and fussed saying I always bring my ST there for service and pay out my butt for service and am a good customer, seems like they would mount those tires , and they wouldn't be doing it for free anyway,....I threatened that I was about to buy a 4wheeler and a GoldWing and if they didn't put those tires on for me, I would shop elsewhere!!! Well that got the owner interested, and he actually mounted them himself on a day off. He complained that he could have gotten me the PR2's for only $25 more than what Two Brothers charged. Yeah right, last tire I had done there was a rear Dunlop, and it cost me all in all close to $500!!!!!! We talked about his high charges but I was very relieved to get the tires on the ST ......and I did not alienate my local HondaStealer , although we did have some heated discussion when they were refusing to mount my tires!!!!!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Wondering when the PR3s will be released in st1300 size?
So far I'm happy with the 2's but would give em a try if they are available.

I've had a few try to hammer you or refuse to put them on if they were purchased somewhere else. For "safety" :think1::rofl1:

Doesn't take too many tire changes to pay for a changer. Consider a tech day get em changed right, unscratched, bearings checked, and correct lube applied for the price of a burger and a beer.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Odd how different we are... I love the twisties, just got back from doing the Cherohala, Tail of the Dragon, The Snake and a million other 'non-published' supertwisties over 2 days on an extended trip... I am O.L.D. and no Kenny Roberts but I spin it up pretty good.

My ST came from it's former owner with PR II's on it. I also had them on a BMW R1150RT and to me they have a 'heavy' feel and resist turn in... They do wear very well though, got 11-12 thousand out of them mostly one-up with full camping gear in very hot conditions.
This spring I put on BT20's. Loved the light feel of the bike, loved it's handling in the twisties. Ironically, the BMW came with Battleaxe's and I was impressed, as this time, at how they handled well up the the last thou of tread. However, they are shot at about 8K, about the same riding conditions except hotter yet.. 97+ most days...
Trying BT23's this go round....
Not saying the PR's are 'bad' just not the best for this rider... so far anyway....

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I should have a set of PR 2 on th eporch when I get home today. I ordered them Friday morning from Keel Bros. Tim said he would get them out right away. My bike has Metezler Z 6 which I really loved. I put 5000 miles on them which made a total of 11,500 This was the second set the prievous owner installed, I would have stayed with them if I could have found a set. But by everyones feedback, I will be happy with the 2's

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I shouls have a set of PR 2 on th eporch when I get home today. I ordered them Friday morning from Keel Bros. Tim said he would get them out right away. My bike has Metezler Z 6 which I reall loved. I put 5000 miles on them which made a total of 11,500 This was the second set the prievous owner installed, I would have stayed with them if I could have found a set. But by everyones feedback, I will be happy with the 2's
I replaced my PR2 front tire with a Metzler Z6 Interact tire and I like it way better then the PR2 front. I found mine at Motorcycle Superstore as Tim at Two Brothers. I would not go back to a PR2 as long as Metzller is making this good sticky great handling tires.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
What do you like better about it Mike?
Fred,

The turn in and the way the tire sticks to the road and is super smooth. The front end just feels lighter and just loves the twisties. You know I have run a bunch of PR2's in the past which are not a bad tire but I have been riding a bunch with Uncle Larry (VRFLarry) and he had a Metzler M1 tire on his VFR and was telling me how much he loves the way the tire handles and for wear he was getting more then 12,000 miles on them. I also talked to Dana (dteel) who stated that he had always loved the Metzler tires and had a get off when he made a turn on his ST that he takes every day going to work with the PR2's and now will be going back to the Metzler tire.

I have over 4000 miles on my Metzler front tire with less then 50% wear which makes me think that I will get over 10,000 miles on it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have not tried the Interacts but I ran two sets of Z6s back to back on my ST and really liked them prior to trying Avon Storms. The front Z6 has a vaguely triangular profile that encourages a quick and accurate tip-in and I had just come off a set of original Pilot Roads that did not have this character - they were rather numb in this regard. The PR2s aren't alot better either. They don't ever lack for grip but the feedback is vague. I did like the Z6s very much for handling and feedback.

The reasons I never went back to them is 1) as good as the were they weren't a better handling tire than the Storms, 2) they did not last any longer than Storms did (6,000 miles out of a rear, replaced tires as a set), 3) the rear Z6 has no siping on the center of the tire and it can be difficult to determine how close the tire is to showing cords by use of the tread wear indicators on the edges of the Z6. I followed two friends home at different times with cord showing because of this.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I replaced my PR2 front tire with a Metzler Z6 Interact tire and I like it way better then the PR2 front. I found mine at Motorcycle Superstore as Tim at Two Brothers. I would not go back to a PR2 as long as Metzller is making this good sticky great handling tires.

So, this must be another tire that isn't recommended for the 1300. It's not listed on the Metzeler site.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I like the PR's as well. I've been a BT020 guy but I may never go back. The PR's just feel so much more planted for my tastes and so far no flat spots! Me likey. Marty

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I've had three sets of PR2s and I loved them both for handling and longevity... 15,000 front and 12,500 rear on all three sets, but the Bros. didn't have the PR3s for the 1300 in stock, so I went for a new 'old' favorite, the Continental Road Attack 2s. I had two sets of Road Attacks (1s?) and got great handling and almost as good longevity (didn't know that at the time) from them, so the 2s seemed a logical choice. I've also had the Metzler Z6/880 combo with great handling but somewhat less longevity. The Road Attack 2s aren't on yet, but I intend to start a continuing thread with pictures and comments every 1000 miles. I drive mostly freeways and well paved back roads in Southern California and not the crushed coral tire eater paving found back East.

John

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I put my 1st set of PR's on Saturday, I have been running Dunlops that past 6 years on my 1300. I like the way they install, they seem to go on the easiest of all the brands and balance really well.
Took them for a spin in the poring rain to scuff them up a bit yesterday and they seem as good as any Bridgestone or Dunlop I have run on my 1100 and 1300.
Time and miles will tell, I'm heading out west in 3 weeks for the real test.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my last rear I Got 4,000 miles out of it and it was TOAST! that was the 4th rear I've had on it since I had the bike and have only put on 15k since I've had it. I'm not getting the milesage all you guys are. There's usually tread left in the middle of the tire and the sides are gone. This one was completely gone at 4k miles. I always run at 42psi and check before every ride.

So it sounds like the Metzlers are getting more milesage? I might have to try em next.

Top Bottom